PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
No one like the smells of ash and dottle, so I have always assumed that my practice -- dumping it into an empty large tobacco tin with a tight lid (preferably one of those with a plastic top), then throwing away the tin when full -- is universal.
But I have learned there is endless variety hereabouts and so, I ask: Where do you stick your ash?

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Our younger Shepherd likes to dig the odd hole and there is one by the garage rear man door and since I only smoke outside or in the garage that is where it goes.
Mark

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I am an outdoor smoker as well but in a screened-in porch. The ash, dottle and burnt matches go in 1.5 oz tobacco tin.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I've heard that tobacco ash is effective at keeping some garden pests at bay. True?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I've always been told that I stick my ash were it isn't wanted, or was that nose?

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I smoke outside, so the pipe gets a sharp rap and it all goes in the yard. I'm wondering how it will affect the grass near the back patio. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Actually, on a more serious note, I recently read (somewhere) that urban-dwelling birds tend to pick up used cigarette butts and incorporate them into their nests. The experts who study this kind of stuff were of the opinion that the noxious chemicals from the burnt tobacco repels mites and other parasites. So, there may well be something to that garden pest theory...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Anywhere in the lawn, shrubs, tree trunks, compost if I'm near it at the time.
Sadly, there's nothing nutritious about ash in the garden—nor detrimental afaik.

May 4, 2015
Mine gets tapped out in to the crown of the ceramic hat in my avatar. When it's so full I can't see the knocker (whiskey cork), I dump it in the crapper and wipe the hat down with a wet paper towel. That's when I usually reglue the knocker, which consists of me heating up the hot glue on the bottom with a lighter and sticking it back on.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I'm an outside smoker too. I put my ash in any old mason jar. When it gets full I just toss the jar away.

Status
Not open for further replies.