Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Left side for me too. I'm right handed, but I clench on the left and hold my pipe with my left hand as well. I do use my right hand for lighting and tamping though.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
That is exactly like me. Am right handed, but clinch on the left side. Light and tamp right handed and fill right handed.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I think last time this came up, it was pretty 50/50 for "I don't care" versus "opposite of dominant hand."
For me, being right handed, I prefer the left so my RH can do the work. But, I also switch sides pretty often so my jaw doesn't get too tired.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Usually I switch sides. When I'm working, though, I keep it on the left. I'm right-handed, and this keeps the pipe out of my way.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I switch it up so that I'm not burning the same spot on my tongue every time... :P

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I usually have my pipe on the Left side while I smoke, but occasionally go to the Right side for a change.
In case you are interested, I asked a very similar question here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/are-you-a-right-or-a-left

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
It's more comfortable on my right, but I try to switch it up. I read that keeping the pipe in one particular spot in your mouth is more likely to aggravate the tissue, and more likely to result in medical issues.
While it sounds somewhat logical, I am suspect of the efficacy of this advice, but I like to keep it moving around just in case.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Well just to be different i am left handed and clench with the left side of my mouth of course it could be because I have a one tooth wide indent where one of my canine teeth sit back a bit and its the perfect place to hold the pipe bit. Easy peasy to clench while I work

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I clench my pipes near the button end of the stem.
That was my first thought... I tend to clench my pipe on the right, but this depends on the thickness of the stem at the button. Some stems are just more comfortable on the left.
-- Pat

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I'm a rightie and clench on the right side. Ill switch it up if my jaw gets tired but its never really comfortable on the left.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
I'm left handed (well, pretty ambidextrous). I move it around but it's more comfy on my left. I always light right handed though. I'm on a clenching sabatical right now b/c I've come to hate leaving tooth marks. Only really clench my cobs now. They're so light.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
I've tried clenching on the right and it just doesn't feel as right as clenching on the left, just nicer to have the dominant hand available for whatever I need it for while the left can hold my pipe if necessary.

~Ron

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I clench on the left side. Not sure why. Just more comfortable. Occasionally I move it to the right side.

Status
Not open for further replies.