PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
OK, I've been a pipe smoker for a whole week now.
I ordered a bunch of tins and I've only opened two.
John Cotton's #1 has been my primary smoke. I'm not sophisticated enough to yet know what I'm tasting, but I know I really like it. There's a medium sweetness and a bit of spiciness that I appreciate.
The other tin I've opened is the Drew Estate Grand Central, my free gift for blowing $80 at P&C. Nice aroma, but not much to taste. Based on that, I'm definitely leaning into the non-aromatic side.
My other tins include one each of the other John Cottons and a trio sold as a "perique step ladder (#2)" claiming to ease you into perique-land with a mild, a medium and a stout tin for progression.
Based on the JC #1, I think I'd like a bit less sweet (but still present) and maybe a bit more spice.
From the tins I've collected thus far, which should I pop open next?
Thanks.
Jay :nana:
a-600x337.jpg

b-600x337.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I would branch out and try the Irish Oak. I could be biased - Irish Oak is one of my favorite smokes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Jeez Duane...You did that without telling the guy to grab some Black Frigate? Are you MY Captain?

:rofl:
I was only suggesting out of what he had on hand. :mrgreen:

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
I would wait on the Elizabethan. I love Perique and something about the virginias in that blend are a bit off-putting to me. I would personally go for the Viprati first and trust ole Russ 8)

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
how "real" Perique blends taste
So the volume of perique in a blend determines if it's a "real" perique blend? :crazy:
I do agree though that you don't need to step it up from mild to medium to full. You might want to get some blending perique and try it alone to get a feel for it. Then you can start blending it in different quantities into your tobacco's.
Viprati's great. I'd suggest you start with either Viprati or the Irish Oak.
Also for other tobacco's to try I suggest McClelland's Yenidje Highlander, Hearth & Home's Magnum Opus and Hearth & Home's Blackhouse. They are all great.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My fav of the bunch is Smyrna. But there are several Cotton blends I've not smoked, so may I ask where you obtained same?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I got all of this stuff at P&C. One stop noobie shopping!
I decided to go with the Viprati. I'll be posting a few words in a new post soon.
I decided to christen my Stanwell with this tin, both first time in use.
I can see the logic in each recommendation here. I decided to start the marketed ladder as suggested in hopes that I can increasingly discover the impact of the Perique.
I hand rolled American Spirit cigs for years. I never was able to distinguish much between their normal pouch and the Perique. I think it will be quite different in a pipe.
I appreciate everyone's input.
Jay :nana:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Trying different blends when everything is new, different and surprising is part of the fun. Just enjoy the magic -- you can't really choose wrong at this point.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I'm a big fan of Irish Oak, so that's where my vote would go.

If I were recommending something that you didn't currently have as part of your selection, maybe some recommendations for future purchases (and there will be more, trust me) I think dark fired Kentucky is a great idea, in fact Mac Baren HH Dark Fired Kentucky would be another great place to start, or maybe GL Pease's Sixpence, both are very good.

Good luck!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Deniz I have a hard time distinguishing between oriental varieties. They all taste damn good to me.
Jay be sure to keep us posted on the others. I haven't smoked Irish Oak so I'm curious to see how you think that is compared to the Viprati.
You can't go wrong with any H&H blends. The Marquee series in particular are my favorites from H&H.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Also maybe think about a va/per blend from McClellands. Their bulk 2015 is great. Or you can try their St. James Woods. I've got an can of it here but haven't opened it yet. One thing I've found with the McC's Va and Va/Per is they smoke better very dry.
Next time you put in an order think about throwing in an ounce of a couple of the McClelland bulk broken flakes.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
There's a medium sweetness and a bit of spiciness that I appreciate.

The inherrent qualities of a burley based blend can be described as sweet and sour, or to some, 'spicey'.

I suggest that you learn to use your taste buds, or awaken them, with some pure and simple Carter Hall.

PA or SWR work fine too.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I would hesitate to take the advise of others. Every man is different. Recently, I tried a new blend that sounded interesting. I immediately found that I REALLY DON"T like one of the components. I had to dump the bowl after 1/4".
If you find something you like, try other blends with similar tobaccos in them. Try new blends, but don't buy 5 tins of it, hoping it is good.
You don't have to be like others. I usually load one pipe with an aromatic and one with a Virginia blend. When one goes out, I light the other. Not sure if I have ever met anyone else that does this. Anyway, as long as you are having fun and you don't set your beard on fire, you are doing OK.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Sorry for the hijack.... but am I the only one that always thinks of this when they here that phrase? Maybe I am showing my age :)

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Sorry for the hijack.... but am I the only one that always thinks of this when they here that phrase? Maybe I am showing my age :)
How do you get the line when you quote. When I click on quote it displays as "quote"

Status
Not open for further replies.