PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I know I've seen reference to this question somewhere in these forums but search is being a curmudgeon today.
Forget Penzance and Stonehaven, where the heck are GH Dark Birdseye and Happy Brown Bogie? I tend to check several times a week on various retailer sites and they seem to be simply MIA. Is production offset from the merger? It's been a year, I would think things would be back on track. Are these just highly coveted and I'm playing the Esoterica quick draw game with everyone else? I'd love to get my hands on these but the ongoing search is becoming a frustration.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
They could not get enough dead grandmothers to get enough Lakeland essence for those specific blends you want. They have to produce their normal blends first.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/72848/gawith-hoggarth-co-dark-birds-eye/

It is currently out of stock, but it was in stack a month ago when I ordered five pounds of it. They must have run out shortly after I ordered. But, it is usually in stock.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/76933/gawith-hoggarth-co-happy-brown-bogie/

I cannot say when this was last in stock. Not a fan.
These are the non-dead grandmother blends by this company, Harris. :wink:

zfm2f.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cosmic,
These are the non-dead grandmother blends by this company, Harris
Ther machinery is so old that the dead grandmother essence is always in their blends even though they say there is none. It is just not as strong.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I didn't get any stankland essence in the other GH offerings that shouldn't have it, I have high hopes the 2 in question will be fine.
Cosmic, +25 for the pic. I'll add P&C to my list of places to check. I normally don't go there as I prefer many other retailers but when times are tough....

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
Precisely what I'm looking for. I'll stay dedicated to the hunt and see what it's like to yearn for penzance.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
sthbkr77, if you don't mind a little work, start calling tobacconists in the low tax states. You want the ones with little to no web presence, mom and pop places. I got all kinds of goodies doing this. One guy sold me about 6 pounds of Stonehaven.
When Samuel Gawith St James Flake was impossible to get in 2012, a guy sold me 10 pounds. These mom and pops love selling big amounts to anyone who calls.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I think there may have been some production hiccups with the merger. Some of the Sam Gawith blends were out of stock for a while, too, but they seem to be in supply now. Even some of the less popular products that I hadn't seen for a long time (i.e., a year or more, such as Sam's Flake, etc.) have recently begun trickling in over the past two or three weeks or so.
I've noticed that SPC has been out of Dark Bird's Eye and others for several months now, but I'm betting they'll pop up soon.
+1 @Cosmic on the Stalin memes.

Status
Not open for further replies.