Where are all the Peter Stokkebye blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I hope this is a short-lived trend.
Escudo, PS Luxury Bullseye Flake, PS Luxury Navy Flake, PS Luxury Twist Flake, and multiple aromatics are out of stock on 4noggins and SmokingPipes for quite a while now.
I know Peter Stokkebye is popular for making great quality blends at an even greater price. I just hate to think that there are going to be long-term shortages of these and more tobaccos because of their value. Aren't they part of Scandinavian Tobacco Group? I should hope that will play in their favour, availability-wise and for continued production.
I really like PS Balkan Supreme and don't want to see their other English mixtures out of stock before I get a chance to try them.
Anyone else ever ponder the whereabouts of certain Peter Stokkebye tobaccos? I haven't been around too long but it seems like some of them are gone for months - since I started browsing around 3 months ago at least.
(Escudo is my favourite, hate to see it MIA! I don't have much at all...)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I agree Sparroa! And I think PM.com and its sponsors should throw around their weight

and pressure PS, SG, and G&H to get their act together. It's frustrating to wait 18 months

for a blend to be restocked, and then see it fly off the shelves in 2 hours! :x

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I can understand Samuel Gawith shortages to a degree because of all their antiquated equipment and role as a tiny artisanal manufacturer of a host of sought-after blends.
Peter Stokkebye, however, is part of a huge conglomerate and I always presumed their tobaccos were mass produced; that is what disturbs me - if we can't get PS to increase production to meet growing demand for their product, how on earth will we influence smaller blenders with (presumably) bigger issues in raising capital for sustainable expansion.
Cortez, I think it would be great if PM.com and the etailers could play some role in lobbying these firms to placate consumers with a steadier stream of tobacco for a change. I'm sure there are many underlying business concerns, but there are worse problems for those companies to have than being sought after! I don't know if it's possible or if we have enough clout (especially with blenders who have production rather than logistical issues) but I would be happy to know we could collectively have an impact on the situation... It is very frustrating, indeed, and I haven't been waiting with bated breath only to be disappointed for as long as most of you...

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Being part of a huge conglomerate PS blends would have to be made in part of a rotation I would think. I am quite sure many producers have been caught off guard and underestimated needed production as the popularity if pipe smoking has increased . This is all based on my personal SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess )

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
As good as any, Uncle Arthur!
That is a fair guess. I can sympathize with them falling behind, I just hope it isn't a permanent condition and that they will adjust accordingly soon enough...

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
This seems to be an ongoing trend with manufacturers. I have no positive answers, just an educated guess at what is happening. This is what I think is going on:
Tobacco hoarding by Pipe smokers (for whatever reasons)
Pipe smoking gaining in popularity
Perceived shortages from other blending houses (the reason for shortages is hoarding)
The shortages cause pipe smokers to explore new blends, and when some of the new blends get some attention, the hoarding of those blends begin.
-------
I believe that I said this in another thread awhile ago; it is a viscous circle that is causing the shortages.
The original circle/cycle goes something like this:
1. A blend or blending house becomes popular

2. Smokers begin buying up and hoarding as much of it as they can

3. It sells out everywhere

4. People talk about it like it is a mythical creature while it is out of stock

5. People who have never tried it want to know what all of the hub-bub is about

6. When it arrives back in stock, there is a feeding frenzy like with sharks

7. It sells out within a few hours or even minutes

8. People buy like 20 tins for themselves

9. Cycle starts over at #4 and keeps repeating
Because of this original cycle, smokers who used to smoke that blend or blending houses tobaccos for a long time get tired of not being able to get any and give up on it. They start searching for replacement blends. Once they find some, they start posting all over the internet about them and the circle/cycle starts with those blends.
-------
I also think another thing that is happening, and this pisses me off, is that people are trying to use tobacco as an investment opportunity. They buy up a lot of these blends that have become hard to get and then sell them on e-bay and such for astronomical prices. Some people will actually pay the high prices for blends that are still in production.
I think, and this is just my opinion, that if people what to bring some sanity back to this problem that everyone needs to stop buying all of the over priced tins of still in production blends. I think that once people see that their "get rich quick" scheme isn't working anymore, then they'll stop buying up so much of the tobacco.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I love Penzance, I will not buy it from some ASSHAT on Ebay that overprices the hell out of it. I tried to get some when Pipes and Cigars emailed me. I was a day late and dollar short as the saying goes. I will wait again and try my luck. I agree with Bob and say we should not support these people.
On the otherside of the coin, I can not blame someone from making a buck it is the American way. Everyone has to make a living if this is what feeds the Family then I understand. If it is just to make a quick buck, well there is a special place in hell for greedy people.
/rant over

Wade

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Bob's nailed it. From my point of view, as a newb to pipe smoking, why would I want to join the frenzy to get my hands on these not-so-readily available tobacco's when there are literally thousands of blends available to me that don't have distribution problems. Certainly, I realize that Squadron Leader, FVF, Penzance, 3 Nuns, or whatever tickles your fancy (and is impossible to get your hands on) is top of the line, premium tobacco, and that chances are I will love the blend; but at the same time, I would rather fall in love with blends I can actually acquire...

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
When I buy it is when I have funds available to do so. If it isn't in stock it isn't on the order. I have gotten one tin on ebay and that worked out to being about what I would pay one of my etailers if they had it in stock.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I've never used eBay for tobacco and I have only ordered multiple tins as of the past two weeks, but never for speculation and never for excessive amounts. I do have several tins of Escudo on the way but that is because it's my favourite tobacco and I got the vibe from online TAD lists it was in dangerously high demand - I was right. (I got 7 tins coming; I defend that number because as a VaPer it is quite capable of aging) Other than that, I've recently ordered at regular retail price 3 tins of Kingfisher(rare), 2 tins of Penzance(rare), 2 tins of Orlik Golden Sliced (around but same boat as PS) and 2 tins of Union Square (popular, target of mass purchases). I do not think my numbers are indicative of hoarding; I think that as long as people are buying within reasonable limits and without selfish motives, it is okay to think ahead - most pipers now advocate cellaring and GL Pease has even promoted it on our site.
I don't approve of anyone consciously depriving others a fair chance at buying any blends. Limits should be placed on sought after blends, a la Penzance! That's the only thing that gave me a shot at getting some - I had to go to work and couldn't wait around for the site to update; I bought it when I got home thanks to the two tin limit. (Stonehaven & Penzance bags were eaten up long before)
Bob, I think you got the vicious cycle down pat. I hope something gives and we can overcome this situation. If I was in America, I would be much less concerned about buying the blends I want now. As it stands, I am worried about changing regulations and that is the very thing that is prompting a lot of the problems we're encountering - that and increased taxes. If those spectres weren't on the horizon, then the tobacco companies might be quicker to ramp up production and make investments; they are likely wary of advancing beyond their current reach.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I buy in bulk on the 15th of every month . Some blends I buy are to make my cigarettes and trust me it is no fun to run out of my makings . As for the pipe tobacco I also buy in bulk and rejar for just in case and to let it age .

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I suppose I am a bit guilty of hoarding tobacco. I plan to put away every ounce i can afford against huge taxes or out right bans.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I believe hoarding for personal usage and a way to beat inflation is a normal part of our society as pipe smokers. I dislike the people who just get it to resell for a profit. I am all for limits but another way to combat this issue is the reverse discount for hard to find blends. I would increase the price after a certain number to make it a little harder for people to be gready. I do not blame a retailer for selling their products, that is what their job is. Humans are gready by nature, so I will just smile and smoke the blends I enjoy and let the rest chase the cheese.

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
If the government would keep it's business out of business it would give the market time to correct itself and the suppliers could catch up with the demand.

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Ted, in regards to an increased demand from new pipe smokers, I’ll give you that because I think you would know being in the specific business of selling tobacco and having the data to be informed. This is also, most likely, the largest part of the increase. However, I don't think you should dismiss hoarding because there are stories every couple of weeks (mostly negative) on the local or federal level about crack downs on smoking or tax increases on tobacco. This changes demand. I would bet that New York pipe shops have experienced a reduction in walk in customers or local demand over the past couple of years.
I know my demand for pipe tobacco his higher right now because of the potential of governmental regulations affecting my future enjoyment of smoking.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
There's a fine line between hoarding and cellaring, is all. If you buy beyond the limits of what you will ever possibly, conceivably smoke of a single tobacco - then you may be hoarding. Some people are doing that and it ups the ante for everyone else towards mass purchases. (It would be more beneficial to the industry if it was more dispersed and directed towards a greater selection of brands) Add in pressure from future government interference and pipe smoking's upswing in popularity - you start to see blends running out of stock all over the place.
I guess I'm not adding anything constructive; I just bemoan this lack of availability.
With that said, my eleventh hour purchase of Escudo just arrived! I will treasure it!

Status
Not open for further replies.