When You Say "cellar" do you mean Cellar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
New Accessories
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes
4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
At The Briary, they keep sealed 5lb bags of tobacco on the floor of their Spanish cedar lined walk-in humidor. It made me wonder, for those of us lucky enough to have such a specified place, what exactly is your cellar like? In my idealized image of one, I imagine some sealed off portion of a basement with shelving lined with bags, tins, or whatever. Obviously not everyone has such a thing.... And so I'd love to see photos of The Sellar of which you speak :)

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
My cellar per say is just a box full of my tobacco. Once i move i will look into a dedicated place.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Right now I the shelves in my laundry room. I would love a room dedicated for my tobacco cellar

Right now, mine is a stack of boxes in my canning room, stacked from floor to ceiling with boxes of tins and jars. I am still looking for a nice cabinet to buy to put it all in, so that I can see all of my blends. Right now, keeping it in boxes, protects it from my appetites, ha ha.
The Briary just keeps the tobaccos in bags on the floor of the humidor, because that's just how they've always done it. They've been selling tobaccos, since long before cellaring became a "thing." He isn't trying to age the tobaccos in there, just keeping it fresh till it sells.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Mine is a built in Set of cabinets in my living room, Mason jars on the shelves are the ones I smoke and the tins and jars below are the ones that are just sitting getting ready to be enjoyed,

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Mine is 3 Rubbermaid tubs in my office closet. Two larger which has my long term storage, And bulk blends in mason jars. I also have a smaller one that has my "working" blends in 1/2 pint mason jars and unopened tins that I've yet to try.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Yeah cosmic, I figured as much, but damn I'd love to have that room in my loft!!!! What a great space regardless of its purpose or intent!
I'm really glad I asked this question because I kept reading posts thinking man an awful lot of people have cellars!! I love the idea of repurposing a dresser or chest. It's the likely path I'll take also.
Trailboss, it appears you're running low on space and would like to offer you free of charge a remote storage facility in my living room. I'll even save you the trouble of filling out the change of address card cause I'm nice like that.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Been looking around for one of those old fashioned travel chests with the straps to turn into a cellar. This looks nice, but a bit smallish.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/171197284800?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I'm really glad I asked this question because I kept reading posts thinking man an awful lot of people have cellars!! I love the idea of repurposing a dresser or chest. It's the likely path I'll take also.

Find you an old Barristers bookcase that's what I'm keeping my eye out for. the top shelf will be for pipes and open tobacco the bottom ones for the cellar.

but damn I'd love to have that room in my loft!!!!
Tell me about it. I'd love to have that room too, and all of those cigars and stacks of bags of tobaccos. A few times that I went digging around in that stack, I've pulled out bags of Stonehaven and Peacehaven that he didn't know he still had. Score!! And, I've already scavenged the back room boxes for aged tins. I left you a few tins of aromatics and weird latakia blends that I've never heard of, ha ha. :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Used to see alot of Lawrence's posts on here when I was just haunting here looking for new info. What ever became of him and that envy inspiring mustache?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I use an off-site climate controlled storage unit to keep my personal and consignment tobaccos in. I use those large Coleman Coolers for the long-term storage of my personal tins and the large heavy duty plastic see through containers to store the consignment stuff. One thing I did learn from trial and error; do keep a list of what's in each box and mark out whatever you remove. There's nothing less fun than spending an hour looking through boxes to find what you want!
Best,
Pipestud

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Most of mine is atop my gun cabinet. Some is in the old popcorn tin that sets beside my recliner.
I need to show my wife pictures of what some of you guys have on hand, so she can

calm down a bit, she is beginning to think I am some kind of nut. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.