PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
What did you want to be when you grew up?

An Andy Rooney moment.
Reply or just reflect.
I wanted to be a scientist. Perhaps the black-and-white Sci-Fi movies prompted that. I wanted to
be the guy whose knowledge bailed-out the authorities against the giant radioactive ants.
(reference movie: "THEM") Movie Scientists were the role-models du jour; either warning against
a-bombs, or otherwise averting disasters. In pipe lingo, the "go-to" guy.
Korean War newsreels influenced the temporary switch to Soldier. Years later I accomplished that
one, but found my greatest enemy was boredom. (another story)
Never did wear the signature white smock. B.S.E.E. the closest to goal. Actually did work a few
years with space satellites (tiny, tiny contributions) so kinda made it.
I'm guessing the vast majority of us will lament they fell a little short of childhood expectations.
Some others are indeed living their dream. And then there is the kid that wanted to be
Green-Lantern and now thinks he is one.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
A father. So far I have three kids and wish i wanted to be a an astronaut now...J/K. I love being a father, al the challenges and headaches I wouldn't trade it in the world for anything. Well maybe an unlimited supply of tobacco, but that will never happen.
But when I was a kid I really wanted to be a pro basketball player, unfortunatly knee injuries in highschool have kept me from that.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I remember wanting to be an astronaut, and followed the space program closely until I was 15 or so. Then I wanted to be a doctor. Got fairly close to that, I guess. Still working on the writer thing.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Astronaut....surely a main one; so few got there.
You just made me remember when the army suggested I sign-up for Cobra Gunship Pilot. I was small enough to fit in the cockpit. I discovered the flight school dropout rate was 80%, and the required pledge for an additional year of service, upon flunk-out, would be as a grunt. No thank you.

monstermash51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 13, 2012
I still follow the space program and if I could I would, but my heart couldn't handle that type of stress.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
monstermash51,

I actually met an astronaut. He took a job where I worked. He always had an entourage. He said qualifications were tough. Training was intense, and promotion easy. I asked his list of missions, and he admitted although he was in the pool for real missions, he and many others never were picked for any actual space flights. Imagine getting that close.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I always wanted to be a scientist, had to put that dream on hold 3 years into my bachelors degree though. Luckily I haven't lost sight of it and if the stars line up, I'll be finishing my degree next year.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
I wanted to draw comic books for a living. Wanted to go to the Joe Kubert School of Art, but mom and dad would have none of that. Won an art scholarship to the Art Institute, but mom and dad would have none of that. I was a good kid, didn't make waves (I should have!). Went to college to be an art teacher which was close enough to a real job for mom and dad. Dropped out of the art ed. program and became a painting and drawing major, mom and dad didn't know. Decided to drop out and marry my high school sweetheart (together 30 years now!!)... Closest I ever got was being a graphic artist and editorial cartoonist for a local paper, but a recession took care of that and the paper closed it's doors...
Lesson: LET YOUR KIDS BE WHAT THEY WANT! Happiness is more valuable than money. I've never seen a tombstone with someones checking account info on it. Somewhere inside me there is still a 12 year old kid wondering what the hell went wrong...

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
By the way Bobby, "Them" is one of my all time favorite movies!!

-----------------------------------------------------------
I saw it at a saturday theater matinee when it first came out. The best part for me was the relentless chitinous "tweeting" sound the ants made. Kinda like squeaking metal gears.

shawn

Jan 1, 2012
Rock Star. Although now I would like to be a country singer. I can't sing.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
well Looks like mine are different them most leave it to me to be the odd ball!

I wanted to go in to the USMC and be a life Marine but a knee injury and sugery killed that dream so I thought Rock star would be good and started a band whit someone who followed his dream to be one but i lost the desire when i discovered the polotics in the music biz.

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
I never wanted to be anything, really. Which is great, because I'm not disappointed that I'm not that thing, but it sucks because I never really had any motivation to do anything in particular.
One of these days I'll figure out what I want to do with my life.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
fredvegas,

Report back when you find something. Some threads last a long time.

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
I knew it first day I heard Kiss' Destroyer album. Rock star all the way. Actually played drums in a band in my early twenties, and had a fantastic time, but alas, some dreams aren't meant to come true.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
When I was kid, I wanted to be a writer when I grew up, and that's what I do for a living. I'm far from rich, but I love what I do.

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
Some threads last a long time.
You know, I've noticed that about this place. If I ever settle on something, hopefully I'll remember to post it up here.

briarpipeboiler

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2012
Louisville
I actually met an astronaut. He took a job where I worked. He always had an entourage. He said qualifications were tough. Training was intense, and promotion easy. I asked his list of missions, and he admitted although he was in the pool for real missions, he and many others never were picked for any actual space flights. Imagine getting that close.

Very cool. They are amazing people.
I went to Purdue and met many astronauts, including Neil Armstrong and Eugene Cernan; the 1st man on the moon, and last man on the moon. Both Boilermakers. 'The Cradle of Astronauts.'
Anyway, when I grew up I wanted to be the SS for the Yankees, then I wanted to be the bass player for the Chili Peppers, then an architect.
Ended up an Engineer, but I do get to design induction furnace configurations (molten metals), plant layouts, etc etc etc using CAD. Maybe not as interesting as being an architect, but it pays the bills, and it satisfies my creative side. This is one I did today for a client in southern KY...
Furnace1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.