When Will The Government Take Your Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
And so it begins... Please Google for further details - Hawaii is now moving towards becoming the first "smoke-free" state. While the current laws, bills, and proposals tend to use the word: 'cigarette' (as opposed to Tobacco), understand that in many cases, they are using typical shovel & umbrella tactics, and have lumped vape into the mix as well (which is neither tobacco nor smoke). A 'Cigarette Ban' - once instituted - can quickly become an umbrella Sale of ANY Tobacco Ban (as in Pipe Tobacco)with some quick sleight-of-hand and usually met with little resistance. Just as bans on 'smoking' in some public places apply to us Pipers as well as our cigar and cigarette smoking-brethren (even vape steam?!?), there are certain bans with certain qualifiers - such as "smoking" a foster home - or smoking in private homes, and even smoking in your own car. Of course, the "protection of children" is ALWAYS the catch-all auto-rationale (i.e.: excuse) in these cases. BOTTOM LINE: Once Hawaii goes Smoke-Free - or completely bans Tobacco altogether, it sets a precedence for any/all of 48 contiguous states - perhaps the one you live in - to grab this political football and run with it. If that happens, much like they did to Mr Potato Head back in the late 80s - In 1987, Mr. Potato Head became "Spokespud" for the annual Great American Smokeout and surrendered his pipe to Surgeon General C. Everett Koop in Washington, D.C - the government may eventually come for YOUR PIPE next - but it begins with "Cigarettes in Hawaii".

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Hawaii is loaded with pot smokers. They aren't taking your pipes, but I lost all my pipes and guns in the great boating accident fiasco of 2019.
IBTL

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I own several large caliber firearms and over 10K rounds of ammo... Come and get my pipes/tobacco? Not in this lifetime.
IBTL

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
IBTL. Obviously nobody wants our tobacco taken away, but I think we die by a thousand cuts. Big tobacco is too strong (esp. in Southern states like Tennessee and Kentucky) for an outright ban to pass at the state level down here.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
They will try, but they stand to lose big dollars in sin taxes, (unless the completely legalize weed then who knows). IBTL

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
They will try, but they stand to lose big dollars in sin taxes
Just look north to Canadastan, they just don't care :crazy:
2669206-ibtl00183f.jpg

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Never underestimate the power of gov. to know what's best for us. A thousand cuts is so true and history has shown it to be true. No they can't stop smoking but they can make it hard as can be to get tabacco. Without tabacco, we have a real hard time smoking. Look at firearms and alcohol. You really can't buy them online. You have to go to a gov. regulated outlet and prove yourself worthy of purchasing the product, then how and where you use it is also regulated. But think of the children! I see tabacco being sold only thru gov. regulated outlets to people who are deemed worthy. Maybe not soon but in time. After all, many places you can't buy big gulp drinks, saturated fats, or super glazed chocolate donuts. Don't think it can't or won't happen.

Sep 18, 2015
IBTL,,,,

Actually I just wanna see Bigfoot!

As for the op question, This is the goal of the anti- smoking crowd. Is it possible? Sure. Will it happen in my lifetime? I doubt it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
IBTL
I always find these psycho threads interesting. The usual suspects always show up to thump their chests and roar their defiance.
The worst tactic to take is a ban. Look at what a great success Prohibition was. The War on Tobacco is being won, no question about that, without a ban, through a long campaign of making smoking socially repellent and eventually economically too costly to the smoker. So while I'm never surprised that some naif proposes an outright ban, I'd be very surprised to see one enacted since death by a thousand cuts is so much more effective and is working.
It's not that Government can't do very stupid things, because, like Soylent Green, government is made up of people, and people do very stupid things. But I'd still be surprised to see an outright ban because outright bans don't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.