PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the grand old traditional shapes, and I like some of the hybridized and unusual shapes, freehands and others, too. Traditional shapes are often safer purchases, a standard product from the factory line and a dependable exercise of artisan talents. But when they are done really well, factory or artisanal, traditional shapes can exude a craft and design process that transcends just doing a predetermined shape. I just spotted a Becker Dublin on the "What Are You Smoking" thread that had such exquisite balance, proportion, and finish realized in one traditional shape that it is original and creative as many jazzier pipes meant to be creative aren't. Sometimes the formality of the traditional forms really works, beyond just being comfortable and recognizable. I like the creative pipes, but sometimes the traditional ones are notably creative.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I assume you're referring to my Becker.

I concur of course.. Federico has the vision of his father and grandfather.
I also agree with your overall sentiment.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That one kind of jumps off the screen at me. It should be a plain jane pipe, or at least understated, but somehow it's bigger than life. I really appreciate it.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I knew it when I first saw it.
More recently I've come to appreciate the classic shapes when they are crafted in a way that transcends the aesthetic. It can be as simple as a slight cant of the bowl or a particularly well executed finish... or it can be the slightest of changes to the "standard" geometry so the overall impression is transformed into the "neoclassical".

I'm particularly drawn to Italian and Greek makers, though some Americans are crafting magical briar too.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I just had to go and sneak a peak at the pipe that everyone was referring to. It is indeed an exquisite piece! There is just something satisfying about a well-balanced, classic shape, smoldering away.
I guess that's why they're classic: they never seem to go out of style, or fail to please.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
For reference..
mDLT22d.jpg

kIoZuVw.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The majority of my everyday pipes are traditional shapes. I enjoy the simplicity of them. My Weaver and Holm pieces break the walls of traditional just because I trust the artisans craftsmanship, but if any of you ever see me out in public, you will likely see me smoking a Zulu or a bent Dublin.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Sometimes the formality of the traditional forms really works, beyond just being comfortable and recognizable.
I couldn't agree more mso489, when done well, the traditional form always works for me.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I prefer traditional shapes. I don't have a single pipe that's out of that category. Billiard, pot, Dublin, and Rhodesian. The crazy ones however, I enjoy looking at them, and appreciate the art, but would never smoke one. I love looking at the nordings, but couldn't see myself with one.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Traditional shapes work all the time!
And I love that last photo of the Becker. (What is the story of the little plug shape of tobacco?)

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
And I love that last photo of the Becker. (What is the story of the little plug shape of tobacco?)
That's a homemade plug of 5100/5105.

I used a "Kief Press" and let it compact for about 5 days. Just a little experimentation. :puffpipe:

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Traditional shapes are the ones toward which I am most drawn, especially those which are billiard or dublin based.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
My fetish taste for traditional shapes is probably why most of my collection would look pretty pedestrian to the average spectator, the straight and bent billiards and pots in particular. Those familiar, "classic" shapes clenched by grown-ups when I was a kid are what drew me into pipes in the first place.
Especially the sublime bent billiard ... :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.