PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullethead

Lurker
Jun 20, 2015
I've been stocking up tobacco, but then I saw this
mold video and tins popping
That kind of scared me, mold growing, popped tins. I can keep on going but I picked up pipe smoking because I wanted something inexpensive which would cause me pleasure and something to look forward two. Got 40 pipes and about 7 pounds of tobacco now. I think I am going to stop and just smoke what I got.
When would be a good time to stop TAD and just start smoking what you got. I know the paranoid amongst us say that they'll make tobacco illegal, that's not going to happen at all. If it does I'll be the first to lead the revolution :)

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I thought the same thing on the bulging tins. Well nothing I can do at this point but hope for the best. If I get a bad tin, well it's the luck of the draw or maybe just a bad production batch.

bullethead

Lurker
Jun 20, 2015
that's what I know as well. All I said is that it scared me, kind of like a horror movie for people who like to cellar.
the guy claims tins popped open and then mold happened, sucks to be him.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
When would be a good time to stop TAD and just start smoking what you got
Get in touch with peckinpahhombre as he is most definitely the one to talk to about restraint when it comes to TAD. As a matter of fact, I believe holds night help classes on this disorder the second Thursday of every month.

bullethead

Lurker
Jun 20, 2015
that's funny, I am new to this board and searched for that username. found some great posts, LOL! I feel better now.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I wouldn't let this video persuade you to stop cellaring tobacco. It appears this fellow had a bit of bad luck with a few tins but I believe that is not the norm. Many here have HUGE inventories of tobacco that has been cellared for many, many years with no issues or loss. I can't tell you that you will never run into this problem but if you handle the tins and jars properly this will be a very rare occurrence. :puffy:

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I'm with jkrug.
I've heard of decades-old tins failing (the odd time), but that's about it. Nothing like what the video describes. I'd guess it's a freaky one-off.
Mind you I haven't been around very long; my TAD is just getting started. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wouldn't feel compelled either way. If you enjoy buying (and hopefully trying) a wide array of blends, and have space to store them at a moderate temperature, and it's not menacing your household budget, I don't see the harm. On the other hand, if you are buying and accumulating blends just out of a nervous compulsion, just for the fun of having something arriving in the mail, you might want to put yourself on a leash and just buy a tin every month or two. The emphasis should be on the actual smoking, in my opinion, not on purchasing pipes or tobacco. My own realization of that principle is iffy some months, I admit.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Cellar not because they will make it illegal. Cellar because they will make it Sooooo expensive. The tin you buy now for $8 or $10 will cost you $40 or $50 in a lot fewer years than you might think. The occasional tin that goes bad? Meh.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Stuff happens. About a third of my cellar is C & D branded or blended by C & D. Still going to keep the aggressive C & D acquisition going.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I've only had this happen to me one time. About 2004 I bought a canister of Peter Heinrich's Curly Cut, and it was filled with balls of mold. The tin wasn't bulging really, but it was like tobacco and marshmallow mixed up. In nearly 20 years and thousands of tins, that is the only time. Those odds aren't to bad.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
A bulging tin of Haddo's you say!!? The thought of that gives me a bit of a bulge knowing just how good that is going to be. As for cellaring tobaccos in a mason jar I personally do not add any humi disk and I make sure the jars are very clean and dry before putting up any tobaccos. With a good seal and dark storage I've not had anything but sugar plumes form on my 5 plus year old stashes. Some of the cheaper pop top tins do not seem very reliable for long term storage and if I have any misgivings, I jar the contents rather than just hoping it holds up. I've smoked some vintage samples from tins that were 50+ years old and it was heavenly.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The only time I discovered mold, the marshmallow-like balls, was in a tin of blending Perique.

It had spent a few months on the warm surface of an "always on" cable TV converter. My bad.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If anything, I'd say the appearance of mold on the 'odd' tin is an anomaly, and indicative of a preservative free, natural product.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I had a whole jar of McClelland bulk Virginia Perique go moldy at our shop and I suspect it was a combonation of having a humi-pack in the lid and some direct sunlight catching the jar in the afternoon. It was nasty and the entire contents were covered. It happened relatively quick too. We have since taken precautions to not allow that to happen again.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I stay away from those types of tins except for my GL Pease Navigator 2 oz Navigator tins. All my other tins are either metal round and square and I have never had problems with those. We also have no idea how high the temperature gets in that presenters house. If he lets it get into the high 70's or 80's, and lets the sun get at them, then that can be a real problem.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
well damn i'm in kinda screwed...

in my home country the average temp is 28 devrees celsius with high humidity(the caribean, currently live in the EU).

and i was planning to eventually move back there, guess i gotta do an experiment as to bring a sealed tin of MB Modern Virginia on vacation with me and see what happens after a month of storage.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I feel like those tins are the best to cellar. The only time I have had a problem was with a tin of Blackwoods Flake from 1994 that had rust inside. I prefer to cellar these tins over the square ones any day as those are the least reliable over time. I even think that they are more reliable than the round Euro tins(Dunhill, macbaren,etc.) as those tend to lose their seal once in awhile. I'm not sure what the mold problem is with this guys tins? A bulging tin does not mean mold, Greg Pease will tell you that. I actually wish he would chime in, but I read an article about what is taking place and it sounded like good stuff to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.