PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Most of the tobacco in my cellar is from 2006 to the present. I smoke it as I feel compelled.
But I've got 4 tins of Dunhill's Durbar from 1999 and one tin of Rattray's Black Mallory from 1995. Part of me thinks I should smoke these sooner rather than later; while I doubt the Durbar has peaked or begun to fade yet, I'm not so sure that the Black Mallory -- as dependent on latakia as it is -- is improving. Of course, I can just try the Durbar and see what I think, since I have other tins in reserve. But opening the Black Mallory feels like it should be treated as an "event" somehow, simply because it's the oldest blend in my collection. . . and I've only got the one tin. And, then there's the whole question of "At this point, what am I saving it for? I could die before I pop the top!"
All that to ask: What would you guys do? Would you smoke the Black Mallory now? Save it for some special celebration? Or just let it sit, age, and then smoke it whenever you get around to it?
And, yes, I realize an 18-year-old tobacco isn't all that old. It just happens to be the oldest one I have, so I'm being a little precious about it.
Bob

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
It is purely a personal decision. If it were me, I would ebay all of the stuff from the 90's and buy more pipes. :)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I had the same debate with myself over VaPer Three Nuns the other week. My taste buds won out and I've been smoking and savoring it. I say you should smoke and enjoy your tobacco.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'd crack it open and enjoy it, then buy a few more tins of it to do all over again in another 18 years!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks, guys! "Smoking it now" is my inclination. Because, after all, no one knows how many tomorrows we have.
There ain't no way I'm selling this stuff, Peteguy! :) The pleasure of savoring an aged blend -- whether it's blossomed into Nirvana or faded into a shadow of its former self -- is worth far more to me than what I'd get from selling it. (I recently parted with a single tin of Penzance only because the prices are so crazy. . . and it was one of 40 tins that I have in the cellar. But the minute you start chipping away at a collection that you spent years building up as a hedge against the future. . . well, that's a slippery slope to me.)
Bob

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I like to wait for a few things:
1. The right weather for the blend. I'm not cracking a big latakia mix in the summer, or a delicate VA in the winter. Some people don't feel that way.

2. Nice round numbers. If I've got a tin that's 4 yrs old, I'll usually wait until 5, just because.

3. Sometimes all this is out the window and I crack something just for the hell of it.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I'm not so sure that the Black Mallory -- as dependent on latakia as it is -- is improving.

I can't speak about Black Mallory, but I'm currently smoking a tin of '99 British Woods and it's sublime. Just because the latakia has changed doesn't necessarily mean it's been for the worse.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'd do a tin of Durbar now. You've got 3 - go for it.

The Black Mal - I wouldn't wait for an event, unless you know you have something coming up in the near future. In any case, I would crack it no later than the 20 year mark. Ya never know what tomorrow will bring.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I know how you feel, since I hae a few gems from 1999 to 2001 that are crying out to be opened, plus that tin of Parson's Pleasure from 1991. Perhaps when I get done nursing that 11 year old open jar of Bayou Nights, lol. I say smoke 'em!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Bob,
I personally think both the Durbar and the Black Mallory are prime to smoke right now with all the age the tins have on them. Black Mallory, being a soft Latakia anyway, has probably peaked after 18 years. Latakia flavor tends to break down rather than continue to peak after too many years. I personally smoked a really old tin of Black Mallory (I can't remember exactly how old but it was the original Perth, Scotland production), and while the Orientals and Virginias came through the Latakia presence was way off in the background). Durbar is a much richer blend than Black Mallory and my guess is that the flavor presentation is ready to jingle your bells right now!
Pipestud

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I say "smoke em' if you got em'"! I recently bought a few tins with several years on them, mostly Mac Baren blends. A 7yr. old tin of Roll Cake, a 3yr. old tin of HH Highland, and a 2yr. old tin of Dark Twist. I couldn't wait to crack them all, and for the most part I'm glad I cracked them! The Roll Cake and the Highland were excellent, the Dark Twist was good, but I kinda wish I'd waited another year or two on it. But like you said, "I could die before I pop the top"!

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
^ if I did that myself, I'd have way too many open tins/jars. Of course, the oldest tobacco I have might only be 2 years (and I bought it that way). Then i'm left with the question: do I open it, and see how it is fresh/relatively young? Or do I wait a while and smoke it after some age?
My eyes (and wallet) were bigger than my stomach. I wanted to try everything, but don't smoke that much now. But I might thank myself down the road, I'll have a bunch of age stuff. But, if it ends up being fantastic, I'll have to stock up, and wait 8O

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I have developed an extremely complex yet verifiably accurate measurement for when a tobacco is ready to smoke. Just send me samples of each blend concerned and I will process them ... free even! :rofl:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have no experience with the two blends mentioned so I would listen to pipestud regarding those.
I also have some older tins that are all VA flakes so I am in no hurry as they keep getting better. I will crack one when it is a special occasion or if maybe some pipe buddies are over.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The merit of aging tobacco that ages well is obvious, or at least obvious if you like the typically smoother/more melded profile of such tobacco.
But the frustration of waiting for tobacco to age can negate the merit of the aged tobacco. If I'm aging something, I forget about it, and almost invariably don't open the aging vessel, which to me defeats the purpose of sealing it at the start.
Then too you could die before you can enjoy the aged tobacco, the government could have made it too onerous to smoke at all; most importantly the smoker who liked the tobacco well enough to put it aside to age can have different tastes by the time the designated aging period ends; that is, you change while the tobacco changes. The two might not agree.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
+1 4nogginsmike. rmbittner, you have waited for 18 years to make it special. If you don't smoke it now your going to have to send it to college. :D

I would get comfy and enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.