PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
How do you know when to let your pipe go out?
I have been going until it will only stay lit for about a minute or less, is this ok or am I going to long, I just dont want to burn the bottom of the bowl?
When I tap it on my palm I am only getting a few partial strands of tobacco.
Thanks

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
There are a lot of different answers but I read something one time that made so much sense. It said, "A pipe is to be enjoyed. When you no longer enjoy the flavor of the tobacco it's time to put it out." I personally do the same as you just mentioned because I like to smoke to the bottom of the bowl.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Usually by the time the top of the ash has pretty well receded to the bottom of the bowl, you know

there's little to no unburned tobacco to relight. Or, if the flavor diminishes, even if there is plenty of

tobacco left, I would say it's time to let it go out. I don't want to save tobacco by smoking a harsh bowl

of dregs. I do not consider smoking down to white ash a point of honor. When it happens, that's

good. I only want good flavor, whatever that means in terms of ash and dottle.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
You can smoke all the way down until you just suck in hot ash when you try to relight. I don't do that. But you can. I wouldn't worry about the bottom of the bowl, unless you really puff hard to burn the last bit of dottle and you overheat the pipe. Asa long as you can smoke it cool, keep going until want to quit.

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
I had a 6mm filter that got to hot I think as it smelled a bit like hot plastic.
I did not bowl last night that I puffed on for a hour and 40 minutes and one today for a hour and twenty minute so I do think I am smoking the real hard. I just didnt want harm the pipes very bad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
For me, there's a point at which the flavor starts to shift over to the dark side, down near the bottom of the bowl. I'll tap it out and invariably find just a little bird's nest of unburnt or semi-charred tobacco. Sometimes, there's just a few strands left.
Take-away: smoke until you don't enjoy. Don't feel compelled to burn it all. A little unburnt may well just be part of an enjoyable bowl.

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
I have been puffing it for the long run right now, i am breaking in a seat for my motorcycle that is to tall and said to ride it for 600 miles then send it back for adjustment, well my toes barley touch the ground so I am sitting on to while on the center stand, I figure 15 hours should be plenty and it lets me enjoy my pipes while doing it :)

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
There are a lot of different answers but I read something one time that made so much sense. It said, "A pipe is to be enjoyed. When you no longer enjoy the flavor of the tobacco it's time to put it out." -mp31guitar
That's my style, too.
Best,
Pipestud

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Eventually if you smoke the same tobacco in the same pipe enough times youll get tuned in to when the last few puffs happen before all the tobacco is gone. For lat blends I smoke right down to the bottom, for VAs I stop when there is a bit of dottle left. Just keep experimenting and youll find the ideal point for your particular situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.