PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
I have recently been using a CornCob type pipe. Yes, it has been very enjoyable, but I am wondering if anybody knows when it's time to change the pipe ?? I can only smoke outside, and therefore, there is a growing build up of carbon in the bowl and a little on the rim..(due to fast lighting from the effects of the wind).

When should I discontinue the use of this pipe, or should I just ignore it, and keep on going ?? I do maintain it well after every use and I also always use a Medico filter.

Thank you for all your suggestions and advice.
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums Juozapas! I don't know a thing about cobs, but there are a lot of experienced

cob smokers here that will help you make the best of it.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
juozapas,

In all honesty, the carbon buildup is fine; you actually want that in most pipes. But I'd only toss the cob when it burns through or breaks. Otherwise, you can smoke it for a really long time. Some members here are smoking corncobs they bought 20+ years ago...
-Jason

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Juozapas,

I have had one for the aforementioned 20+ years. That particular pipe has never been one of my favorites, but it has withstood the test of time, as it were.

With a little TLC they can last a long-long time.

I have recently acquired a MM cob churchwarden, I intend to keep just as long.

tommytree

Lurker
Jul 8, 2010
They take very little care, really. Just keep going. If it starts to get bitter, scrape a little of the cake off with a pipe knife, rinse it with some whiskey, dry it out and light it up. They can last decades.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
The Cob seems to thrive on abuse and a rank Cob will deliver a great smoke,

especially with Burley blends. It will be time to throw it away when it catches

on fire, which can be a remarkably long time of smoking service. Every so often,

I trim the char inside the bowl's chamber with my Barlow. They don't need much

care, even if cracks show up on the bowl's exterior..., but you can touch it up

with some hand cream, if you want to. The shank on my Freehand split, but a hose

clamp fixed the problem, and looks rather sporty. The Cob is the best bang for the

buck available, short of someone giving you a Pipe.

tommytree

Lurker
Jul 8, 2010
Fred, a lot of the Freehand shanks crack. If you contact MM, they will replace it, since they're aware of the problem. Also, while you're on the phone with them, you should consider the new natural line. The General, Diplomat, Country Gentleman and Patriot are now available without the smooth lacquer on the outside, which I like an awful lot. At the moment, they're the same price as the lacquered versions, but you can only order them by phone at the moment.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I think surfmac has it about right. I have an 8 year old cob that I run a pipe cleaner through after each smoke and ream when the cake starts to scare me.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
Fantastic..

Thanks everybody for the wonderful comments. I really would have a hard time figuring this all out all by myself. There is no one in my family or family tree history that has ever smoked a pipe (that I know of ??).

It's almost like I have a pipe smoking coach now...the only thing is that I have handfulls of coaches with vasts amounts of experience to forge from !!

Thanks so much !!

Joe N.

Barrie,Ontario,CANADA

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
We're glad we can help Joe.
Opinions range from one end of the spectrum to the other on a lot of topics.

And, generally speaking, there will be a gem or two we all can take to heart.

I've been around pipe smokers all my life and by extension I have been smoking a pipe since I was in high school (mumble) years ago. I am still learning about our hobby/sport maybe that's (pardon the pun) the draw.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
As Lawrence said, I don't think we can ever learn everything there is to know about pipe smoking, because as soon as you think you know everything you will run into someone who know more than you! And that is why this site is so awesome, there is a lot of knowledge here!

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
mypipes015.jpg

mypipes018.jpg

mypipes029.jpg

mypipes032.jpg

mypipes033.jpg

Almost a month old....

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
surfmac211 said>>"I treat my cobs like absolute crap. Just smoke it till the bottom falls out"---And I tend to agree'

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
www.corncobsandbriar.phpbb3now.com This site will teach you more about corn cobs than you ever thought possible. Go the the corncob primer and read.
I also suggest having more than one, preferably 7 and have a rotation of them and they will last you forever.

Where are you finding these conversations from five years ago, iatia? Most of these folks haven't logged into this forum in years. At the bottom of each post has a date when the comment was made. If that person posted five years ago, most likely they won't see your reply.

Just trying to help.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
As others have said, I wouldn't worry about cake build up in your cob. I clean my briars on a regular basis but never worry about trying to clean my cobs. Cobs are pretty tough and that's one of the appeals with them. If you drop it you don't typically have to worry about it getting nicked or broken and if it does happen to break, most likely the stem, then they're cheap enough you can just toss it and pick up another one. I've dropped a few cob pipes by accidentally knocking them off a table or off the dashboard of my truck and just picked them up and threw them back on the table or dashboard (with my clay pipes, dropping one on the floor usually means a broken clay). The natural cob bowls are also extremely light so they make great pipes for clenching.

Status
Not open for further replies.