when the devil wants his due over and over and over....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
I just rang the customs here in nz to see if there was a limit on tobacco imports, like can I order one tin without the horrific duties and etc. What they told was no! Then they proceeded to break it down for me. I would like the share this little bit of knowledge with you all.

When you buy tobacco online, customs put a 5% duty on the cost of it NZ$(A).

Then they add a tax of $550.25 per kilo of tobacco or part there of(B).

Now I dont really mind that, after all if the shops have to pay this then fair enough. but! this is the kicker over here we have Goods and Services tax, now this is 15% of Part A then Part B plus the cost of shipping it.

Oh and then there is the 38.77 processing fee of course this too incurrs 15% So what i thought in my simple mind would be 15% on the total is now this crazy amount. :evil:

Is it just me or is this evil?

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
i just done some quick maths (which to be honest isnt my strong point) and based on current exchange i would be 107.16 for 50grm of tobacco from 4noggins if it had to be declared :evil: :crazy:

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
no tarrif on seeds but then Ministry of ag and fisheries get in, cos of bio security. i do have some seed from last season i grew some virgina and burley, this year i plan on putting in that and some havanna white stem seed and some aztec rustica i got :twisted: its just not the same you know! but i will get there with my blending and ressiting the urge to smoke it till its aged .

creekspecter

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2011
So, how much does it cost to ship say "books," or "children's clothing?" Just askin', you know?

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Serves you right for having such a filthy, smelly, horrific and intoxicatingly, beautiful, gentlemanly hobby!!!!!!!!

Jul 15, 2011
Thats the kind of swindle that would give Satan a hard on. I don't think evil is the word for it. Robbery? Extortion? Grand Larceny?

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
So, how much does it cost to ship say "books," or "children's clothing?" Just askin', you know?

not too sure but i think if it comes as a gift and its not for profit its ok, though i could be wrong as they want there pound of flesh on any internet purchases well thats what i got from their website, yet if i was flying into nz i can have 250 grm duty free. . freakin madness!!!

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
That is why EU companies send their packages without any indication on what is in them (within the EU). What the devil doesn't know....

Status
Not open for further replies.