PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
In case you thought your computer was the only thing you needed to worry about security on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuKQ62dCXo0

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why does anyone need an internet enabled toothbrush or fridge? So that they can check to see if the chablis will be at the proper temperature when they return from Gstaad?
A new definition for fucked up living.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@sablebrush52: LOL...well said.
Actually, my understanding is that many modern appliances and electronic devices have components that can be accessed wirelessly (through wifi or “smart meters”) regardless of whether that feature serves any purpose to the “consumer”.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
In the not too distant future all appliances will be required to have this kind of connectivity so that utility companies can manage and monitor household power consumption. For instance, during a period of peak demand your dishwasher may only run in power saving mode. (Or not run at all) Same with washing machines, dryers, hot water heaters, etc....

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@tuold: Very true. It’s all part of the grand globalization scheme...socio/economic engineering, artificial scarcity, population control, etc.
And, of course, the world-wide-wiretap:
CIA Chief: We'll Spy on You Through Your Dishwasher
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/03/petraeus-tv-remote/

Aug 14, 2012
Thanks for the tip. I was going to get an internet device on the thermostat of my house. The purpose was to monitor the temperature so I would know, from afar, if the boiler stopped working. Then it would be possible to deal with the problem before pipes froze. I think it would be better to connect it to the phone, which has limited personal data.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
WOW, I must be the biggest douche on this forum since I have NO F**king idea what that video was speaking to. I have a refrigerator, no, make it two. Neither is hooked up to the internet, and neither is my washer or dryer, my microwave, or my stove. I must live under a rock compared to the rest of the world and I like to think I am "on top" of current technology. Now if I can ever get the Star Trek Holodeck I might never leave the house.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
That's what happens when the geeks run amok. They're too busy doing "cool things" to worry about the consequences. Why should my refrigerator, toaster or microwave be connected to the internet?

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
@ puffy: my refrigerator has many spirits, which often call my name, to come drink them!

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Murf, I can help solve your spirit problem then we can solve my spirit problem & smoke a few bowls along with them. Happy puffin'
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.