When people join just to get information from us...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
There was a post started by a member named "11dollarbills" about a month ago where he wanted information on a pipe.

I tried to look up his post, but couldn't seem to find it.

In his avatar he had the pipe that he wanted information on and some members were really quick to dismiss him as another person who joined our forum just to get some info and leave. While searching ebay, I found the pipe and he's selling it!

11dollarbills pipe
I find it a bit funny for what he's asking for it...?

and I don't believe, looking at what else he sells that he is into pipes or pipe smoking, and that he did join pipesmagazine.com just to get info for his auction.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
OH well , there are all kinds of people out there . but thanks for the heads up

i will remember that name . :puffy:

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
He came on here trying to get information about it! that's whats funny about...over 200 bucks!!! right...

mangers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I agree that his asking price is way to high, and I am sure nobody here gave him that info. But isn't getting information one of the purposes of a forum? I mean what better place is there to get information about a pipe than a pipe forum? I think it's kinda rude to blow the guy off just because he is asking for information about a pipe. I have seen many complaints about eBay sellers that post the wrong information about a pipe they are selling. If those sellers were to come to a pipes forum and ask questions they could be more accurate with their descriptions. But then we blow them off for asking? That just doesn't seem right now does it?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Did he miss place that decimal in the pricing? You can find a Dunhill for around that price and I'm sure the Dunhill would smoke better. Also, don't understand the couple in a 69 position. My only explanation is the carver doesn't get laid too often.
As for the guy coming here merely for info. on a pipe it does irk me. To me pipesmagazine is not a site for somebody who just cleaned out his attic to findout about how much a pipe is worth so he can sell it on eBay. To me this community is for people who smoke and collect pipes and pipe tobaccos to discuss this hobby that we are a part of. People that come here just to ask for a price on a pipe are only here to gain a personal monetary profit and to me that's not what this site is about.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
if he had asked information for his own smoking benefit i think it would have been just fine but this is not the case. pipe smoking is some what complicated to new comers and them coming because they need help getting started i think that is awesome but other wise i am not so fond of being USED.

mangers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
To me this community is for people who smoke and collect pipes and pipe tobaccos to discuss this hobby that we are a part of. People that come here just to ask for a price on a pipe are only here to gain a personal monetary profit and to me that's not what this site is about.
I think that is wrong. Lets suppose he didn't come here and ask advise and that pipe was a Dunhill with a asking price of $50.00. How many here would send him a message and tell him his asking price was a few hundred dollars shy of what it is worth and how many would hit that buy it now button? I hope I am wrong but I think the majority would hit that buy it now button! Now who is using who? I don't think there is anything wrong with somebody coming here to ask questions, just my .02

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
This forum is for members, but it is also an information site and open to visitors. If he chooses to come here for a "one time info session only", we have served an important purpose. If he chooses not to stay and take part in our Community, that is his loss.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
The way i see it people like to judge.

If you don't want to help no questions asked and without judgement then don't help someone. That is your right.
I feel it only brings a negative view onto people.

I mean where does it go from that point if people agree? Only help people with 100 posts?
It reminds me of people who say people who are junkies or alcoholics or obese or smoke should be refused free healthcare because it isn't right for other people to pay for what they do to themselves.
Thing is where do you draw the line? People who climb mountains are putting themselves in danger, so are police and firemen. Should they be refused as well? Who should decide?

mangers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I would like to think that if something were to happen to me (god forbid) that my wife, whom is pipe illiterate, could come here to ask for info on my pipes which she would probably have to sell to make ends meet! Guess not huh?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
New Member questions are a driving force behind these Forums.

Things like this occur on a regular basis.

Someone will inherit a pipe from a relative and since it may have some age on it, they are legitimately looking to put a value on it.

Sometimes they are just curious, sometimes they want to try our hobby.
If they glean some information here that they couldn't find on their own all the better.
I have no point to make other than answering questions is a major part of our forums.
I think this thread has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.