PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just a quick inquiry, it seems I'm quite a master at darkening my pipe rims whatsoever,now would it be advisable to keep flame adjustement level(screw) at its highest level point + / or opposite.Any instuctage would be welcomed,greets,Paul

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I generally keep the level on my Pipemaster at the lowest level that will still give a flame and adjust as the butane level goes down. It doesn't take much flame to light a pipe, my flame is generally around 3/4 of an inch or so.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Paul, are you over filling your bowl with tobacco? I never load all the way to the rim which helps reduce rim darkening.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Distance of flame to tobacco (and rim!) is more important than flame height. Draw the flame down until the tip is about 1/4" above the tobacco.
Flame height: the lower the longer it lasts.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
I have seen people post this video numerous times, it hurts my head, I have never made it all the way through..

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I got far enough to hear him say "one second". That's more than enough time for a relight, not enough for an initial light (I don't try to "achieve" a false light, but if it's necessary it's jut fine.)

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Couldn't suffer the YouTube video, felt like I wanted to slash my wrists. Or use the burner for more than a second!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hobie- No problem. There are plenty of guys here who like videos, and long ones at that. Many can be helpful, many are a too long.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Hobie- No problem. There are plenty of guys here who like videos, and long ones at that. Many can be helpful, many are a too long
A 5 minute video is too long for you? Wow, that's a short attention span...lol

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nothing about attention span. Interest in a 20 second bit of info stretched to five minutes doesn't hold my attention for other reasons. However, yesterday I watched 8 hours of Justified and all was fine.
Funny I wrote a post being supportive of you and you come back with a tiny zinger. What's that about??

poppabear

Lurker
Aug 6, 2017
i tend to keep the flame small as it will go to light. this keeps it from getting to deep into the bowl and scorching the under tobacco (in my limited experience of smoking). typically i find with my style of packing and smoking it takes a charing light, then a light and another relight about 3 mins in. works well for me

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Here is my pipe lighter, I do get a little rim darkening on occasion! :lol:

lego-flamethrower.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hobiedog- Short attention span??
This was addressed to your post: "Funny I wrote a post being supportive of you and you come back with a tiny zinger. What's that about??"

Status
Not open for further replies.