When Life Gives You 1/2 a Bradford Pear Tree...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
... you make a pipe!
We lost part of our bradford pear in the last big storm. No real damage to the house - really just a big mess - apparently these are pretty weak trees that only live 12 to 15 years.
So I thought, why not, this will be fun. I have only tried to make a pipe on two other occasions and I expect this will turn out just as well as the previous attempts. That is to say, it will be a total flop :)
Here is the best section I could find of the branches. Not really true so if it does work out it will be a "freehand" haha
20160926_183238_zpsapcvvjvn.jpg

20160926_183253_zpsooafdq04.jpg

I had planned on keeping the bark intact but my sawzall had other ideas...

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I'd let that chunk of green wood sit for a year or so before putting a match to it.
If the bowl is drilled to full depth you'll have a 6 hour smoker!
Congrats on the beginning of a new adventure in the world of pipes and pipe smoking!

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I plan on trimming it down a bit, the bowl is almost 3" deep. It is pretty green so you are probably right, dot, about letting it dry out. Should I bend the stem or leave it straight?

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Nice pipe, very clever.
Aren't most pear pipes made from pear tree roots, similar to briar?

Does pear or cherry wood used in pipes need to be treated to remove the sap & resins before drying & smoking, also similar to briar?

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Pear and Peach SEEDS can be very poisonous. The saps are edible to my knowledge, and may be used like Mulberry (not the white variety) sap to eat in a life and death situation, or for kicks.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Congrats for te humor and the idea!

It's really basic! Very useful if you want to smoke on a desert island after a shipwreck!

Status
Not open for further replies.