PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
...and when is "a hint" of Perique just a half percent?

When they are making Rattray's, it seems!
2v2JGFTP5x3L6Bn.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So, according to the label, you cannot give it away.... Or loan it, or ogle it, or smoke it. You can only sell it in the US.....

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
The Kentucky is probably African-grown and cured burley from Kentucky seed.
Like a more distant version of the Cuban or Connecticut seed grown elsewhere in the cigar world.
I'm not surprised if those old school recipes used such marginal amounts of perique since they are so subtle and the perique is so rare and costly in comparison to the other components...

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Unless I'm missing something, Kentucky is a type of tobacco or a way of curing and has very little to do with being grown in Kentucky. The same for Virginia. Would be interesting to hear how this naming convention for the different tobacco types came to be.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Kentucky Dark Fired comes from Kentucky, and nowhere else. There is Dark Fired made in Africa, but it’s a different beast.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Hehe, woodsroad, you rock; thanks for the laugh :)
Btw, I don't recall a tobacco tin ever giving such a precise measure of its contents' mass. Most would label that quantity as 3,5 oz, not 3,53 oz.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Aquadoc, the lable is ambiguous. But it’s there for the US market, at the behest (and requirement) of the FDA. By “domestic”, they mean US. Clarity is not a desirable characteristic in regulatory writing!

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Not familiar with the blend. I will say that, although I do like Perique, when I am making a homemade blend a pinch goes a long way.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
My point being the free use of the word “Kentucky” to describe Dark Fired. Malawi Dark Fired is quite good. It’s just different than Kentucky Dark Fired.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
MSO, that's a side issue for me, but you have to wonder how well distributed .5% of anything can be in a pipe tobacco blend. What would be the chance of loading a bowl and not getting any Perique?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It depends on the size of the cut, or how finely rubbed out. If very fine, the chances of some in a size 5 chamber is 54.3%. If the pieces are large, the value plummets to less than 10.7%.

Status
Not open for further replies.