When Does the Redesign come Online?

(52 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by mikethompson
  • Latest reply from ssjones
  1. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought we could group all the talk about the new site redesign in one place. I know its coming in 'June' but is there a launch date we are looking at?

Any hints at new features Kevin?

Posted 2 months ago #
  2. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

This is a big project, and the completion date is a moving target, and right now, I am the bottleneck.

Right now it looks like mid-to-end June. Fingers crossed.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 2 months ago #
  3. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good luck with your launch, Kevin. As a retired IT guy, I know how complicated these things can get.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 2 months ago #
  4. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kevin, I hope you can maintain the same look as this place. I like that this place is different from all the other pipe sites. And please don't have a like button. That is something I would hate to see. If people can just like something, there is a big loss of words and maybe new ideas in a thread.

Harris
    Posted 2 months ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm dreading it, for fear my gimpy operating system will reject it out of hand like many other sites. Then I'll have to buy a new device which will take a steep learning curve and possibly eliminate much labor stored in the documents. I guess I'm just stuck in the parchment and quill age, or at best, the portable manual typewriter world. 'Hope I won't lose you all to progress. I'd miss the conversation. My Apple PC is from early 2009, which in the digital age is several ages before the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Not looking forward to it either.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 months ago #
  7. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...a like button. That is something I would hate to see. If people can just like something, there is a big loss of words and maybe new ideas in a thread.

Possibly, but on the other hand, Like/I Agree buttons help curb unnecessary redundancy and post padding. Sometimes all we have to say is "I concur"; no need to enlarge the database with posts like "++1", "True dat", "What he said", &c., &c.

Note that Like buttons don't prevent anyone from posting nonetheless, nor is anyone forced to use them.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 2 months ago #
  8. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You'll never please everybody.

I'm hoping pics will be easier to post though.

Hobbyist Pipemaker - Carmette Pipes
    Posted 2 months ago #
  9. renal923

renal923

Login to Send PM

My hopes are easier picture handling and better mobile performance. I rarely visit the site on my phone (and I am an avid user of my phone) due to it's formatting just not being mobile friendly.

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

You will all just have to wait and see...

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 2 months ago #
  11. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whether I make it to the next platform or not, I think any way in which the new format does not resemble social media generally will be all to the good. The "like" feature is a superficial bunch of crap, and I vote against it. Anything that reaches out to random addressee lists to recruit membership. That sort of thing. I no play'a the game, i no make'a the rules, but I do dislike much of the concept of social media.

Posted 2 months ago #
  12. fusion

fusion

Login to Send PM

As a new member i find the pic posting quite easy but a drag and drop from my comp would be nice

Posted 2 months ago #
  13. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like this forum just the way it is. I plan on staying on the forum after the change and I'll give it a chance. Fingers crossed it doesn't turn into a disaster like Facebook.

Posted 2 months ago #
  14. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

I like changes and variety, so I'm curious about it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  15. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like this crotchety old forum and it's become an old crotchety friend of mine. But personally I have had very few issues with it. Posting is easy, finding posts is easy.... heck, posting photos is easy! I don't really understand where the difficulty is. Different systems being used I suppose? My only issue is that it says I have 1 PM which is one I can't open, and this has only very recently been a problem since I joined in January of 2013. But although that one unreadable PM is an annoyance, it's really not a terrible issue... except for when I'm tired, or just waking up, and I forget and open my PMs only to see, "Oh yeah.... Crap!" I will miss this brown and beige and dried pee colored forum when it's gone, as it's been a big part of my life for the past six years.... wow.... I really need to get out more!

But you know, I'm not going to go anywhere. I've grown fond of reading about what all you yahoos are doing, or smoking, or trying to figure out about smoking, or when a newbie freaks out over the inside chamber of their pipe turning dark oh my GOODNESS!!!! That gets me every time!!! Oh my, I love this place!!!! And it comforts me when I see someone who's been here a fraction of the time I have run up a post count that puts mine to shame, because it makes me feel like perhaps I have a life after all.... sheesh! Some of you REALLY need to get out more! No, I'm certainly not going anywhere. I'd miss out on all that fun! Besides, maybe the new revamped site will bring in some more Hajas or Starcats... I sure as hell DON'T want to miss out on that!

And it feeds my narcissism when I post photos of a new pipe and everyone showers me with "Oooooh! That's a beauty!" "You sure know how to pick them!" "Wow! Look at the grain on that!" "I bet is smokes as well as it looks!" "Congrats and enjoy the heck out of it!"

Sure I'll miss this old dog. But when the new one launches, I bet I'll enjoy the heck out of it

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 months ago #
  16. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

anthonyrosenthal, with the new system I hope you "Enjoy the heck" out of it...

"the weez"...
    Posted 2 months ago #
  17. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^ He's already enjoyed the heck out of this one. There's no heck left...that's why it has to be updated.

It's all Anthony's fault.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 2 months ago #
  18. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The "like" feature is a superficial bunch of crap

WOW ... MSO489 that's the most fired up I've ever seen you get here.

Neal
    Posted 2 months ago #
  19. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

anthonyrosenthal, with the new system I hope you "Enjoy the heck" out of it...

^ He's already enjoyed the heck out of this one. There's no heck left...that's why it has to be updated.

And I feel awful

Posted 2 months ago #
  20. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WOW ... MSO489 that's the most fired up I've ever seen you get here.

Ask him about a Devil Anse pipe. I think Tom's family was somehow involved. (That's the internet rumor I'm starting)

Sorry Tom, I know you hate the whole Hatfield's and McCoy's thing.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 months ago #
  21. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm ok with changes as long as it keeps the flavour of the site, and I think Kevin will do just that. I admit I am anxious about people changing their avatars, I tend to recognize them more than names!

Posted 2 months ago #
  22. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

Change is hard for people especially when that change is happening to something they care a lot about, such as a forum. But if you understand that it's not just change for change's sake and that there are real, practical, and beneficial reasons for the change, it makes user acceptance come quicker.

Posted 2 months ago #
  23. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The flavour of the site is provided by the members, so I don't see it going away, unless the members themselves go away.

Whilst I am not fond of suxial media either, I think some are letting their anxieties go too far. Xenforo is NOT a Facecrook clone. It's a FORUM engine/platform. The basic mechanics of fora are NOT changed: you have threads, posts, discussions, typed participation. The software simply makes a number of things easier (such as posting pics, embedding media content, &c.), and adds a few bells and whistles such as Like buttons which you DON'T HAVE TO USE if you don't want to.

This is a tech forum I've been a member since AD 1999: PC Mechanic and which is currently using Xenforo (it originally used vBulletin, and it has maintained its same format with Xenforo, with a few minor changes that in no way break the functionality or experience). If you browse it a bit you'll see it's essentially what we have here with different graphics, icons, &c.

No need to fret, really. If you can post on this platform you'll be able to continue to do so without fuss on the new one. The new tools will be there if you care for them, otherwise you can continue as you've done so far. Just like the cruise control in your car: I never use it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  24. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

Olkofri, I wish I could "like" your post.

Posted 2 months ago #
  25. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Where is Peck when we his style and inimitable grace the most?
    Harris, did you run Peck off?

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 2 months ago #
  26. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bet it'll be fine.

I hope there's a way to follow a discussion, as well as one to ignore certain threads.

And that there's a limit length for subject lines and handles.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  27. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

, as well as one to ignore certain threads.
    That's easy. You don't open it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  28. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's easy. You don't open it.

How will I know to ignore it if I don't open it and read it?

Posted 2 months ago #
  29. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

And the plot thickens ..

Posted 2 months ago #
  30. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dunno. Maybe there does need to be a giant "CAUTION IGNORE THIS POST. DON'T OPEN IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. NO!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!!" button that glows in neon blinking red that sets off a loud air raid siren when you mouse over it.

Edit to add: That still doesn't solve the dilemma of not knowing unless you open it. Perhaps he hopes the post shows the original author of the post so he can ignore me... er... I mean whoever it was.

Posted 2 months ago #
  31. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's actually a good point, and one thing I hope it's enabled in the new version: the ability to hover your mouse over a thread's title and get the first lines of the tread as a 'preview', then you know whether you're interested or not.

Posted 1 month ago #
  32. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can usually tell if I am going to like the thread or not when I see who first posted it. This thread is turning out to be a wishlist for the redesign!

Keep this colour scheme if you can Kevin!

Posted 1 month ago #
  33. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And I feel awful

Don't worry, anthony. You *look* it, too. [evil grin, zwaytrudat, +3or4dozen, wow-at-that-grain!]

I'm like Mike & I'm certain a few other people in that I'll often recognize the image first off.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with Mike in regards to the colour scheme. It seems fitting for pipes and tobacco. One of these days l'll decide on an avitar.

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 1 month ago #
  35. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Re: Ignore. For those with lengthy memories of list like things, no problem, except you're still presented with the thread title.

For those of us that can't remember we didn't like a thread from three weeks ago which now someone has posted to, an ignore button that hides that thread is useful. Time saver.

Posted 1 month ago #
  36. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a perfect example of why we need AI to take over...to decide for us what we should ignore.

Posted 1 month ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulfg

Login to Send PM

The 2 things i would like to see are
    improved picture posting
    go to first unread post in a thread,(saves scrolling through a large thread to find where you were)this exists on other fora i look at and I find it very usefull

however what ever happens happens its Kevins gig

Posted 1 month ago #
  38. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

We're keeping the color scheme.

Everything else is changing.

Posted 1 month ago #
  39. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

We're keeping the color scheme.

Everything else is changing. [:wink:]

That's the last straw, I'm out. I've grown to love the baby-shit brown banner, I can't change.....
    (and that's the first time, in 14k+ posts, that I used a smilie!)

Al

Posted 1 month ago #
  40. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

and that's the first time, in 14k+ posts, that I used a smilie!
    Congrats and enjoy the heck out of... the smiley

Posted 1 month ago #
  41. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Everyone is going to have to reset their password when the new site comes online.

Since we are changing the forum platform, the method for storing/creating passwords is different, therefore we cannot copy across the members account passwords.

It's not really a big deal. The first time you go to login, just hit forgot password, go through the few steps, and you're done.

I just wanted to mention it now before I forget.

Posted 1 month ago #
  42. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I can handle that. I'm not even sure what my password is to be honest.

Posted 1 month ago #
  43. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Haha Mike I was just going to ask if we had to remember our old password in order to get a new one! Lol

Posted 1 month ago #
  44. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a job that I outsource to my tablet!

Posted 1 month ago #
  45. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have an R2 unit that does that for me

Posted 1 month ago #
  46. coffinmaker

coffinmaker

Login to Send PM

I just can't take change. I had problems when the rotary telephone changed from basic black to other colors. I stayed with black.

Posted 1 month ago #
  47. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kevin, how will our albums transfer to the new site? I have a lot of pictures in my album.

Posted 1 month ago #
  48. pipebaum81

pipebaum81

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope that the years of Forum posts now passed will not be lost with the update. Multiple lifetimes worth of knowledge to be found.

"I am a firm believer in the idea that who we are today is strongly influenced by the sum total of all of the individuals whom we have had the privilege of knowing."
    -huntertrw
    Posted 1 month ago #
  49. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have an R2 unit that does that for me

I should have specified my android tablet

Posted 1 month ago #
  50. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But I am also curious about the posts. I'm sure they will still be available to search, the text would just appear in the format of the new forum.

Posted 1 month ago #
  51. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I should have specified my android tablet
    Well played

Posted 1 month ago #
  52. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

More to come, but lets say this is looking like a good outcome.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kenbarnes, danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper