PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm curious to see how others pass judgement on new to them blends or what is the most anticipated part of a bowl full of a regularly smoked tobacco. Most of the time, particularly with VaPer's, I find the sublime region kicks in just prior to and on through the mid bowl portion of the smoke. I'm not suggesting the first or last third is boring or without body it's just an observation. Recently I've been re-grouping my pipe rotation to seperate bowls with conical chambers and those with U shaped or flat bottom pots with my intentions being that I only smoke flakes or gently rubbed or broken Kake in the conical bowls, ribbon cut or coarse shag in the others. I'm finding that I am enjoying a more prolonged sweet spot by being this discriminate. Previously I'd experience (with some pipes) some harsher smoking in the top end of the smoke more so with Va's or VaPer's then it'd smooth out. By choosing the conical drilled chambers much of that has resolved itself.

I hope I'm making some sense here, it's late, I'm about ready to turn in but this was on my mind and I'm curious if anyone has a shared or different opinion or has their own SOP that they follow as it relates to the cut or form of the tobacco.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm sure that one's perception feeds into his choice of bowl, whether it be conical or not, and I really am not sure that flakes burn better in a conical bowl.

I read something yesterday written by the esteemed G.L. Pease that suggests that this idea may be completely subjective, or merely anecdotal.

I do think that the mid portion of a bowl is usually the best part, but, the rare tobacco blend will perk you up right from the start and continue its development till the last.

If you've been sucking on your stem too vigorously, the last part is not gonna be able to deliver the flavor it could have due to moisture and temperature.

As I learn more and more about pace, I also discover more and more about taste. (hat tip to Kevin, our tasteMaster.)

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I really have to sit down one evening and smoke a bowl slowly and deliberately until finished.
In general, I agree with Settersbrace that the middle third is typically the best of the bow for me. It seems that it takes a few minutes after lighting for the flavor to develop no matter the blend being smoked. The last third will require a few re-lights towards the bottom. I probably shouldn't but I smoke a bowl until is all ash. It is compulsive. I have a hard time dumping dottle if there is any brown left.
Pax

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I have to read Mr. Pease's piece on chamber shape versus blend. As I've progressed more and more into flakes it has become easier for me to accomplish the "fold&stuff" technique and I also smoke coins without rubbing them out although they tend to fall apart somewhat. Having the ability to consistently pull off what was once next to impossible for me is very gratifying and it's simplified things dramatically. If I'm taking the dog out for a walk or run I can simply and quickly prepare a flake, load and light. Usually once I get a good true light, I stick on a wind cap and I'm good to go for a long, tasty and satisfying smoke. Another theory I have with the conical chamber and un-rubbed flake is that it allows for an air pocket just above the draft hole. Gentle tamping whilst working through the bowl maintains that pocket and I generally get a dry smoke. A pipe cleaner will pass to the back of the bowl at least until I've burned down the tobacco well past the half way mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.