When Did the Recipe of Hal O' the' Wynd Change?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
This is prompted by a discussion elsewhere. I was unable to find a thread on it here, so here we go.
I am an irregular smoker of this old classic. I am getting ready to open a tin I acquired in February of 2014, and it says on the label "pure Virginia". It now says it includes Dark Fired Kentucky and perique.
Does anyone know when this changed? I would assume it happened sometime after K&K started blending it. Inquiring minds wan to know. :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ditto, Cosmic (again). IMO, nothing has changed except what's printed on the label. To me, the differences between Hal, Gowrie, Marlin, and Clunee are more about proportions and balance. They're all "sibling" blends. (Well, maybe Marlin is the odd-one-out here.)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have always considered HotW a pure Virginia; I keep seeing all of these newer smokers going by the current tin description and calling it a VaPer. Since I have not smoked any of these newer batches, I am curious.

Or, the latakia in Laurel Heights.
If the blended leaf is minor, then I can see where the company would just leave it off the label. If OGS had of actually advertised itself as a VaPer, everyone would be pissed, because they would expect to taste perique, but you don't. And, I bet burley is blended with many straight Virginias, because it can be used to balance a blend and keep the flavor consistent from year to year. But, it's not enough burley consistently year to year added to merit mention.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Captain Black Grape has been adding genetically modified Syrian Latakia to the blend lately, and now they are surreptitiously adding 100% organic St. James Perique to the mix to make it taste more like the Original Golden Slices, but only when smoke in a properly drilled Peterson pipe, not one of these new rubbish things they're putting out now.
Or so I've heard.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have an open tin, smoking it as we speak. I have no past term of comparison, but this is a grate blend for me. Perique indeed is present, but not overwhelming, just a hint to spice up the smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.