Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

When Did the Peterson Quality Problems Start?

(29 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by coalsmoke
  • Latest reply from billbearcat
  1. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought my Rosslare a couple of years ago and it's drilled correctly and the stem fits just fine. I paid 125.00 for it at the time. From what I can tell, the 100.00 and below pipes seem to be the ones with the problems. If this is the case, when did the problems start to surface? I wanted to get a 100.00 Pete, but now I'm seriously considering a 70.00 Savinelli. Any problems with the lower-end Savs?

Russ
    Smoking a pipe is true relaxation...everything else is too much like work.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Personally, I wouldn't consider a low to mid-range Peterson made after 1980. A much better value, IMO, is an older Peterson estate, in good condition, sold by a reputable vendor. My newest Peterson is a Donegal Rocky lovat, with the silver band (it's nickel on the new ones), hallmarked 1979 -- I snagged it this summer from Marty Pulver for $51, shipped.

I haven't heard of a single problem with high-end Petersons.

I haven't heard of a single problem with ANY Savinelli. Look -- they are what they are ... my Savinelli Bing isn't a Giubileo D’Oro or a Punto Oro, but it is well made, like all Savinelli pipes, and it smokes wonderfully.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

right after they refueled the black helicopters.

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Today I just spent 95 American fun stamps on a new Peterson. I'll be taking a close look at drilling and such and posting a few pictures once I receive the pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. sebastian

sebastian

Login to Send PM

Ive not had any problems with Petes. My only beef with their newer low-mid range pipes is that I dont care for the bowl coating, and thats just a matter of opinion. Both new Petes that Ive bought recently smoke great (better after removing the precarb), both can pass a cleaner, and I think they are quite nice pipes for what I spent.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Professor is one of the top three best smoking, clinching pipes I have. No problem with it's quality or the others I have.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Yes but your Professor is a high-end Pete, MSRP is $294.

I'm with you totally -- a high end Peterson is well made, engineered correctly, and worth every cent.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't heard of a single problem with high-end Petersons.

Well, my Rosslare Royal is considered to be the low-end of their higher-end pipes and it had some issues. The drilling on mine was perfect, but the bowl was crooked and the stem too tight. And even after repair, the small silver band on the lucite stem popped right off (now it's kept on using some wax).

And yet, go figure, I still like that damn pipe!

My $70 Aran Canadian had no flaws except the break-in - which took an unbearably long time, which I attribute to stain inside the stem and bowl. Now it's a handsome pipe that smokes quite nicely.

Whether or not anyone should buy a lower-end Peterson depends on the individual, but a Sav is probably a better gamble.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Whether or not anyone should buy a lower-end Peterson depends on the individual, but a Sav is probably a better gamble.

That's my take as well. We all have opinions and form our own (hopefully informed) decisions.

That said, I am sure there are vastly more puffers who own a recently made low to mid-range Pete that have no issues than those who have incurred a problem.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cleidophoros

cleidophoros

Banned

Login to Send PM

I have 5 Petersons.
    150 Dublin Sterling Silver Pre-Republic '45/'47
    495 Kapruf from '60s
    170 Donegal Rocky from '73
    999 Dublin Sterling Silver '78
    120 Donegal Rocky ~2005

I have no problems with any of them apart from the p-lip on the pre-republic; can't get used to it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have no problems with any of them apart from the p-lip on the pre-republic; can't get used to it.

You might consider getting a vulcanite fishtail stem to replace the P-Lip. Depending on where it's done and the type of stem you choose, the cost would be around $24-$50 or so.

And you could keep the original P-Lip stem secure should you decide to sell or trade the pipe later on.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. strugglingthinker

strugglingthinker

Login to Send PM

I have noticed (as of late) a preponderance of written dissatisfaction with "new" Petes. My wife purchased a NEW Peterson Rusticated System pipe for me (shape 306) for Christmas. The pipe is beautiful and it is PERFECTLY drilled. While I have seen several people who have had unpleasant experiences, I would wager that the new Petes don't really warrant all of the weeping and gnashing of teeth that I have seen over the past few weeks on this forum. This is an excellent company that produces excellent pipes. I want to issue my vote of confidence for Peterson. (And, for the record, I own roughly 50 pipes. Only 3 of them are Petes. I own more Savinellis than anything else. I am no Peterson shill. However, people who get the pipe they EXPECT don't often post (i.e., I think we are only hearing from he DISSATISFIED customers. Brand NEW Petes do smoke super hot though. Be patient.)

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 4-5 Petes, all under $125.00 & are great smokers to me. No problems with any that wasn't caused by me. The only thing I can say bad about them is they take longer to break in/cake than others. I grabbed a 25 year old Comoy last night & couldn't run a pipe cleaner all the way through that, so I guess stuff happens with them all, sometimes. I guess I am lucky. But I don't have any $400 pipes to compare them to.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And, for the record, I own roughly 50 pipes. Only 3 of them are Petes. I own more Savinellis than anything else.

It's true is that the evidence against Peterson is anecdotal (but the evidence is pretty overwhelming). Still I think taking a gamble on a Pete is fine if you really want one.

But if you do, take the basic precautions:

1. If possible, always view in person before buying
    2. If buying online, try to get the reseller to examine the pipe before shipping
    3. After receiving, examine it carefully, and run a pipe cleaner through it.
    4. Make sure the reseller has a reasonable return policy
    5. Finally, be prepared for a longer-than-usual break-in

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmmmm....Maybe I'll call Cup 'O Joe's and ask about the Pete that I want before I buy it. Pretty much running a break-even budget right now so it'll be awhile. Maybe by the time that I get up the bucks the problems will be straightened out!

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. 11fb

11fb

Login to Send PM

A recent Peterson purchase (brand new 306 Rustic System) had a hairline crack in the upper shank/mortise just below the nickel mount. I told the online retailer and they happily refunded no problem.

Shame that was my first experience with a Pete! I really like the 306, its size and shape, so much so I decided to purchase a Deluxe System 11fb (see avatar pic).

Very pleased with the fit and finish and a great smoker to boot, then again it did cost 3 times more than the Standard!

The hairline crack should really have been noticed by a Peterson QC, but I suppose it could have opened up after the stem was fitted. Who knows?! Luck of the draw I'd say.

I'd buy another Peterson, but only a Deluxe based on my experience.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

chopsie

Login to Send PM

I bought a Peterson standard system 31 new in October, it seemed to take a couple months of regular smoking to break in but has proved to be an amazing pipe. Saying that it was the second pipe I ever smoked out of the first being a basket pipe that required a lot of pipe mud to bring the bottom up to the draft hole.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 numbersix. Just ask questions. I have looked at several hundred Peterson's over the past year and about 25% had issues that should have kept them from leaving the factory. These are all in the $150 or less range. That said, of all the Peterson's I have picked up this last year, they have been the easiest batch to break in. Well, with the exception of my two Kapet's, those took some serious scrubbing to get the dye out of the shank.

That said, I have picked up several estates and though probably luck of the draw, two of the three had issues that required some re-drilling and one had the draft hole higher than the bottom of the bowl, so more pipe mud.

Peterson's are about the only pipes I am looking at these days. Just make sure to ask questions before buying online and additional pictures if needed.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only have 1 and I think I paid $125 for it. Not even sure what model it is but I really like how it smokes. That being said to the OP, the Savis are really marvelous. I too have not heard anything negative about them, granted I've only had them for a week. But so for so good.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. pipebreath

pipebreath

Login to Send PM

The one I just bought is horrible. It is drilled to deep and crooked. The stem is loose. Worst of all when I put it in my mouth the first time there was chemical on it. Tasted like sodium metabisulfite. I had to wash the stem repeatedly and it left an etching on 2/3rds of it. Horrible horrible junky pipe. I still smoke it just because I love the #3 shape.

Kramer
    "No... look away, I'm Hideous"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first Pete is an 03 Shamrock I got at Uhle's several years ago. Then I got a pair from Holt's at an IPSD: another Shamrock - B24 - and a Shannon B11. Then came an 80s Shannon. I was watchful for the dreaded slow breakin, but never experienced it. Maybe I like the taste of their dyes?

These all puff as well as a number of Pete estates that I've amassed, which is to say very well indeed. Inspection of all of their innards has revealed no problems at all. Next time I'm at Holt's or another Peterson rich environment, I'll do some detecting and see if I can find the poor quality ones I've heard so much about.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

Peterson is about my favorite brand, followed by Nording and the Savinelli Bing's

I have several sub-$125 petersons and they are excellent. Drilled well, smoke well.

Maybe a bad couple batches, or case of bad luck. Sometimes a few bad experiences can drown out the majority of great experiences.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G. K. Chesterton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. rlunderhill

rlunderhill

Login to Send PM

Receiving defective anything is possible. Were human's. I received a defective pipe purchased from Iwanries.com and they took it back without any problems. I buy many pipes from them because they stand behind everything they sell. I have a Peterson 80S and it's one of my go to pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. smokedragon

smokedragon

Login to Send PM

My only Pete is a Rocky Donegal #69. It is relatively new, but it smokes very well. As a psychologist, I know one point of data is not a base for determining something, but I would just be cautious to inspect Petes I purchase in the future. I've been doing quite a bit of reading on them, and it seems like more and more mid to low grade pipes are having problems. Perhaps my experience is just a lucky one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been looking at this pipe for some time and I don't know whether to pull the trigger now or not.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought a Peterson Killarney 306(oom paul sitter) P-lip for @$90 about 5 months ago. I haven't had a problem with it.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
    that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights,
    that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My favorites and super good smokers.

Professor and Watson

Peterson 307

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

chargerucd

Login to Send PM

Will the new meerschaum Peterson have issues??? Or is it one of the higher end pipes?

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. billbearcat

billbearcat

Login to Send PM

I have posted about this before. I have 3 Petersons out of my collection of 9 pipes. One bent bulldog Shannon and the Smooth Molly Malone set. Both of the Molly's have fills that I had not noticed until smoking them for months. I consider them "high end", so I was a bit disappointed/surprised when I found the fills. Now my $90 Shannon has no fill. Regardless of fills they all three smoke great. I wouldn't trade them off. Would I buy another Peterson....yes I would. Would I buy another specialty set....no. I am actually thinking about a system pipe because I love the way the bent Molly hangs, but it will be a sandblasted or rusticated pipe. That way I don't have to worry about fills.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   fnord, briarfriar, doctorthoss, buckaroo, tanless1, rx2man, papajoe, trailboss, daimyo, tabriar