When did Savinelli Improve Corona Old Boy?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
I keep reading everywhere, Savinelli have improved their Corona Old Boy lighters, with a filter, 5x harder finish, better flint wheel, silicone seals as appose to rubber etc.
Was this recently or was this a few years ago?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Probably about 5 years ago. Unfortunately I got one right before they started improving them.

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
Big, how do you know if the lighter has been improved, if I had your old and my new side by side including packaging, how do yours differ?
Basically, how can I tell if mine is the “new version”?
I'm just curious because most sites say, “we only sell the new improved version”, but I looked at the site I brought mine from and it doesn't mention anything of the sort?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
pipe8, I have no idea how to tell the difference. I got mine from a local B&M and they do not do a lot of business in pipes (mostly cigars). So the Old Boys that are in the cabinet are were in there when I bought mine 5 years ago.
Which dealers are claiming only to sell the new ones?

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
I think either way old or new they are still a great lighter.I am not sure if mine is old or new I bought it a couple of years ago but it is the best lighter I have ever owned.Hope mine is a new one though :lol:

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
Big, did your lighter come with the blue case? Maybe you could take a picture of the valves too on the bottom of your lighter? Apparently they now have recessed fill valve covers? I'm not sure exactly what this means, but I can compare mine to yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.