PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Does anyone have any information on when acrylic stems came into use in pipe production?

Mar 1, 2014
This is the one that we would see in pipes. So, after 1933.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly%28methyl_methacrylate%29

Otto Röhm and Walter Bauer and was first brought to market in 1933 by the Rohm and Haas Company under the trademark Plexiglas.
This is also just interesting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate

Polycarbonates were first discovered in 1898 by Alfred Einhorn, a German scientist working at the University of Munich.[18] However, after 30 years of laboratory research, this class of materials was abandoned without commercialization. Research resumed in 1953, when Hermann Schnell at Bayer in Uerdingen, Germany patented the first linear polycarbonate. The brand name "Makrolon" was registered in 1955.
...Polycarbonate is also known by a variety of trademarked names, including Lexan, Makrolon, and others.
I know these aren't much help specifically, but it's good context.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Thanks frozen. I had read that first wiki, but was unsure just how soon pipe makers embraced the new material.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
My experience is that Bakelite was the alternate material of choice to rubber into the 50s. The acrylic stem pipes I've had have all been from beyond that. Like 60s-70s.
Knowing when GBD started using Perspex stems would probably give a good ballpark date.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
I have a GBD Xtra Lovat 3781 with Perspex™ and they stopped making those in '37 AFAIK.

001.315.JPG

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Wow, interesting bonehed. Do you know when they first appeared?
Just trying to plot out the time line of various changes in materials over time, so I appreciate the input y'all.
The things we do for amusement...

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
No, I haven't found anything about when they introduced the material yet...

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
I don't know the answer either, but it would be very interesting to know.
Without wishing to divert from the topic, a connected question for me is about attitudes to the different stem materials over time. In particular I have often seen older articles about pipes which say acrylic is most commonly used for stems on high-end artisan pipes. That doesn't seem to be the case today - many high-end pipemakers will use both acrylic and ebonite, but mostly ebonite. Was there indeed a period when acrylic was viewed as the expected stem material for high-end pipes?

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
That's a good question moriarty. I have read more than a few comments by artisan pipe makers and their preference for acrylic - that goes back a few years though. This blog on the Larrysson Pipes site is informative on the matter - http://larryssonpipes.com/blog/?p=113
I think it changes like the wind as does pipe buyers tastes in what they want on the pipe. For me, I love acrylic for the way they hold up and do not oxidize, but much prefer the feel of a vulcanite / ebonite stem.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
On the 11th day GOD looked down and seen the nasty oxidation on a vulcanite stem and said "LET THERE BE LUCITE"

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
On the GBD, there really is no way to date those pipes, other than silver hallmarked pipes or made before/after 1981-ish (Cadogan took over production). GBD definitely used Perspex into the 70's. I chatted with some old pipemen at Richmond last year who were GBD and Perspex aficianados. They showed me pipes they purchased new from Smokers Haven in the mid 70's.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I always ask why and not when. Why don't more pipes com with briar stems? I think the plastic stems are the least good looking part of a pipe. I mean I have this wonderful briar pipe with an ugly piece plastic sticking out of it.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Here is an interesting GBD Perspex factoid from Greg Pease's site:
"A note about Perspex stems: Perspex was originally patented in Canada in 1934. It didn't take long for GBD to begin using it as a stem material; the earliest example I've been able to date has a 1937 hallmark."
http://www.glpease.com/Pipes/Collection/gbd.html
This is much earlier than I had expected.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
1937! Wow.
I can't find the references right now, but at some point in the 70s or so, acrylic was regarded as a more expensive and higher-grade stem. Clearly that's changed with so many makers, especially the Danes, preferring to use high-quality ebonite, but at one point acrylic was indeed regarded as a mark of quality. At the same time, there wasn't the same preference for super-thin, super comfortable stems back then. That's harder to do with acrylic.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Damn xrundog, now you will have me wondering what you posted all night. Post away I say!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
1937 is very interesting. A hallmarked, Perspex-stemmed pipe is quite unusual.
From Chris' Pipe pages, here is a page from a 1941 Geo Yale catalog.
This page shows a pipe with a transluscent stem.
41gyc11.jpg

The GBD page shows one with what is described as an "Amber" stem. The example is French made but interestingly, does not yet use the Perspex name.
41gyc23.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.