PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When you buy a pipe will you sacrifice one thing to get another? For example, I had always wanted a Castello Occhio di Pernice because I love the look of birdseye. Now usually I will only buy pipes with vulcanite stems because they are softer and that is what I prefer. The Castello only comes with acrylic stems so if I was ever going to get my Occhi, I had to sacrifice my preference for vulcanite. I am smoking this pipe right now and since I have received it I have smoked it a lot because I love how it smokes and I love looking at it. I am very pleased with my purchase but I did have to give something up.
So does anyone here also give up something to get something? Do you buy a pipe that has one feature you do not care for to get something in that pipe that you love? Have you ever bought a pipe knowing you really did not care for the looks but knew it was going to be a great smoker?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I would say yes to that question. I am the opposite of you on stems Harris, more because I hate cleaning oxidation off of the vulcanite, but I don't really notice the textural difference between acrylic and vulcanite, but I know that a lot of the Master carvers use vulcanite or ebonite or cumberland, so if there was a pipe that I loved I would buy it regardless of stem material. And the reality is that if you smoke it regular and maintain it oxidation isn't much of a problem. Something else of interest in this thread is that, the more I smoke, and the more I smoke good pipes, and make pipes for that matter, I've gotten a lot pickier. I have bought some absolutely gorgeous pipes that smoke like crap. So I'm of course interested in beauty, but might buy a less aesthetically pleasing pipe because I know it will smoke like a champ.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Dave, I am with you about vulcanite being a pain which is why I only buy pipes with the high quality German vulcanite, cumberland or ebonite that needs little to no care. I will not buy any more pipes with the older sulfur laden vulcanite because those oxidize the minute the sun hits it or you put it in your mouth. The German stuff only needs a little Obidisian to keep them great looking. I have yet to have to send one in for refurbishing, where as my Upshalls need to go in a couple of times a year.
I will also buy pipes I am not crazy about the looks of when I know it will be a great smoker. I bought a Rad Davis that had a red colored stain that really did nothing for me, but I knew it would be a great smoker and as it turned out it is one of my favorite Rads that gets smoked a ton.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
The only pipe with a vulcanite stem that I smoke on a regular basis is my WW2 era Pete, and I'm thinking it is a rare exception in the oxidation department, when I got it is was green, but after a deep clean I haven't had a problem, stays nice and black, no oil or anything, but I restore enough pipes that I really hate vulcanite and cleaning them. But I'de buy a J.Allen or an Ivarsson any day of the week with a vulcanite stem.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
An interesting question... especially when it comes to commissioning a pipe.
I wonder, often, how much a buyer/collector influences the pipe they commission. Part of me believes that if I'm attracted to a particular carver's work, then there must be something intrinsic in what they do that I'm attracted to. I think that I'm less inclined to be prescriptive to a carver when commissioning a pipe for virtue of the fact that I want it to be representative of their style/structure/aesthetic. The real question comes when the pipe is done, if I haven't been prescriptive up front, how much "sacrifice" to use Harris' term would I be willing to accept. Hopefully there wouldn't be much required to begin with, if I've shopped the carver right. But I'd likely accept a great deal of leeway from my "ideal" pipe in a commissioned piece versus a new or estate factory pipe, given that I'm paying for the carver/artist's style and work.
I think I just talked around the question... needanotherespresso...
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To put it a different way, every pipe purchase is a balancing act, to get some features and sacrifice others.

That may be why numbers of pipes have such an appeal, so you can choose among the variety every smoke.

But yes, every time I buy a pipe, I give up some things to get others.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Being a restorer I could see where you hate vulcanite. I once had a Former that not once in 13 years did it ever oxidize and for 12 of those years I never put any stem oil on it. Anything from the artisans today will have that kind of vulcanite so a pipe from J Alan or Ivarsson shouldn't be an issue. None of my American artisan pipe have ever oxidized on me and I smoke them quite a bit.

Aug 14, 2012
I have 8 pipes by Lasse Skovgaard. They all smoke very well and are all lookers. But I noticed recently that the stems are getting dull looking, like they are about to turn yellow. I just got some Obsidian today and will try it. Would I get another pipe from Lasse? No. the Dunhills all have no problem with the stems. They are not as original or creative, but smoke as well. I will do a picture of the Lasse's when I have time. They are beautiful pipes.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
When you buy a pipe will you sacrifice one thing to get another?
nope I have a short list of don't want and there's just no sense in compromise, Acrylic stems and carved bowls full bent and straights everything else is acceptable. If I compromise on anything it's weight, I want less than two ounces but if it's a really nice Horn or Zulu I'll go as high as two and a half. :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
foggy, would love to see those Lasse's, he makes some great looking pipes.
There is one line of pipes that I would love to own more of but I am not willing to sacrifice to buy them. I have one Ashton XXX Pebble Grain Dublin. It has a beautiful blast and the pipe smokes very well, but the stem design is very uncomfortable to me, plus the Ashtonite material feels like acrylic to me. The button design is so poor that it is very difficult to clench for me. I love the way the Ashtons look, to my eye it says this is how a pipe should look. I really wish they had better stems because I would add 3-4 for my collection. They are priced pretty competitively on the estate market and represent a good bang for the buck in my opinion. If they had a stem design like Upshall, they would have a customer in me.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I have a Pre-Republic Peterson that has a vulcanite p-lip. It is nearly perfect and never seems to need much maintenance. I have Petes, Stanwells, GBDs of more modern manufacture that have vulcanite stems requiring constant maintenance. I'm just now getting ready to start adding some really high quality pipes to my collection. I suppose that as with everything else in life, I'll have to make some compromises. I wouldn't not buy a pipe because of the stem material. I do understand Kashmir's project to re-stem his pipes with acrylic. I find I'm kind of lazy when it comes to pipe maintenance.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I've been pretty picky lately. I have enough pipes (as in I don't actually NEED more), so I can always pass on a purchase, taking my time to find something I really like. If I'm not in love with a pipe, I'm simply not going to buy it. That wasn't always true, but now that I've built a rotation and found out what kind of pipes I really like, I'm trying to focus on serious quality over quantity. I guess the exception would be if I found something really cool that seemed to good to pass up.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I can relate in the way that I have a certain preference with my pipes and I tend to buy ones that have all the same characteristics but that's becoming hard to do because I'm starting to be attracted to different pipes while still loving mine but I'm trying to find a way to broaden my preference without going to far out of what I currently enjoy with my pipes. But if I so t take the risk ill never know if I would like that shape finish or size so ill have to sacrifice my Preferences eventually to expand my experience.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've become pretty picky and discerning when choosing a pipe. I decided my next pipe purchase might be a smooth Castello, as I can us another acrylic stemmed pipe for travel. I don't clench my vulcanite stemmed pipes, but will with an acrylic when I'm traveling or meeting folks, etc. I have a weight tolerance right around 50 grams with 60 my upper end. One of my current Castellos is a G sized bulldog and I absolutely adore the shape and it smokes beautifully. But, its just a tad too big weight wise. I've been looking and I just can't find a Castello bulldog or Rhodesian (Shape 54 or 56 are my favorites) that isn't also G-sized. Perhaps something will turn up.
I really like the "Countryman" shape originally made by Charatan (rumored to test the skills of apprentice carvers). Northern Briars makes this shape, but they are always 90 grams or larger, so that is a no-go for me. Chris Askwith made an interpretation of this shape a few weeks ago, and it was over 60 grams (and out of my price range, but it was beautiful)
So, I forgot to answer your question - no, I won't sacrifice my spec standards for weight.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I buy pipes that speak to me. I tend to dislike pipes that take a filter, but I own a Sav and a Vauen that can take them and I still smoke them. Both are good smokers.
I almost always smoke bents, but if I saw a pipe from a maker that I really wanted at the right price, then i'd probably purchase a straight.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
These days I'll only buy a pipe if it clicks on every level. I certainly don't need more pipes, as I have 65 fine smokers. But if its something I simply can't live without, and finances permitting, I'll go for it. But most of my collection is classic English shapes by Dunhill, Comoy, and Ashton. Recently, I've been attracted to nose warmers from Radice and from Ascorti for some reason. Like this one:
getimagevar.jpg

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'm finally getting to understand the type of pipe I prefer after trial and error with the 20 pipes I currently own. I started out buying big "manly" looking pipes that can't be clenched because they're far too heavy. Almost everything was straight, and mostly smooth finished. Now I'm more looking at sandblasted finishes, with a dark to black stain, very light in weight (around 30gm) and generally on the smaller size in length and bowl size, around 5-5.5 inches and group 4 or smaller bowl. I've also determined that the smaller saddle bit style stems and bits are far more comfortable in my mouth. Going forward these are my requirements on pipes I will buy, weight being the most important factor.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
brdavidson, it is good you are figuring out what you like. It makes it so much easier when you have set parameters that you stick to. I was all over the place for years, first it was chasing grain, then pipes from certain countries, finally I have become extremely focused on what I like. I am with you on the saddle bit stems, they are my favorites.
kashmir, I still have not warmed up to a nose warmer. A friend here let me borrow one for a couple of weeks, but the smoke got in my eyes to many times. How do you avoid that? Generally I do not like a pipe that is less than 5.5 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.