PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I'm not alone I'm sure, I keep the odd pipe by just for use with one particular favoured blend. One blend I always keep jarred up somewhere is G&H rich dark honeydew. Always on hand when I fancy a sweet smoke. Up until now I always used my comoys virgin briar exclusively for that blend. As I've had the pipe from new & never smoked anything else in it, I thought t couldn't be bettered. WRONG! My recently gifted blatter Canadian knocks it out of the park. Apart from the smoking qualities in general, regarding Canadian pipes. This one takes my honeydew blend & gives it a 'richer' taste. G&H honeydew? My blatters nailed it. (Cheers Jim)

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
That's funny, Jim, I have a Canadian too and it smokes like a killer as well! I haven't tried that Honeydew but just as was said on another thread, there's nothing like when you find that perfect synergistic match between a pipe and the right tobacco. I've been experimenting around with my pipes recently but I also keep notes when a certain pipe and blend really hit it off.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nice to hear that double Canuck is treating you, and your 'baccy, kindly. What an awesome discovery.
Simon, do you prep the bowl any differently for the Canadian than you did for the Dublin?
-- Pat

Is honeydew actually flavored like a honeydew the fruit Mellon? Blech. I can't imagine a less appealing flavor for a tobacco. Unless you guys across he pond call something else a honeydew. Here, the honeydew fruit is like a combination sweet syrupy and foot, but not just any foot, but sweaty gym foot. It's not a top flavor, but the foot rides just below the syrupy sweet flavor. I prefer to just skip the honeydew and cantaloupes. Maybe some watermelon. But, I wouldn't even want my tobaccos flavored with that, either.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Here, the honeydew fruit is like a combination sweet syrupy and foot,
Man, that is some nasty dew! Maybe you need to try a different grocer! :mrgreen: Honeydew are supposed to be sweet and kind of fruity, kind of like Mac Barens No. 1.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Cheers pruss. No I don't prep the bowl any differently. Just a case of different briars filtering/tasting differently to the same tobacco. There was a slight ghost to the Canadian when I first got it, but after a two week 'hammering' of St. Bruno, that went. I think it's just lucky this briar enriches the taste of this particular smoke.

Cosmic. Yes mate, honeydew melon. That's it, or some old recipie of a Victorian tobacco blender & his idea of what a water melon tasted like. A faint musky like crossover of flavours of sweaty socks, honey & water melons. It really is quite the ticket! Not a patch on gallahers old blend, but still worth having in ones rotation. I'll send you a sample if you like.

Best regards, Simon.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Timely thread!
I've got some pipes dedicated to VA blends, and one pipe in particular that's only ever tasted Wessex Brigade Campaign flake, which smokes pretty well in that pipe. However, just yesterday, I decided I'm going to give that pipe and a few of my other VA pipes a go with Oriental blends for a change, and start smoking VA's in one of my English-dedicated pipes.
It's too soon to say if any will remain Oriental-dedicated pipes or if I'll just switch back, but sometimes it's fun to play around and maybe stumble upon that winning combination.
I think it's just lucky this briar enriches the taste of this particular smoke.

+1

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
I have a big ben 9mm filter pipe that i bought hoping the filter would help me enjoy aromatics more. It smoked p&c's berry nice quite well but thats as far as the aromatics have gotten with me. On a whim I stuffed some flake Va in it a couple weeks ago and oh man it was the best flake tobacco smoke I've ever had. I've never had a truly decent smoke with flakes before then and I've tried a lot of combinations because the flavors of any of my fakes have been great to me. So glad that you found a great combination. I know what it meant to me

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Is honeydew actually flavored like a honeydew the fruit Mellon?"
Actually Michael the 'honeydew' reference relates to honeydew itself which is a very sweet and sticky fluid secreted by aphids!
Insects collect it, most notably bees who convert its sugars into honeydew honey, a highly prized type of honey. Any references to honeydew melons are pure claptrap.
Regards,
Jay.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
How does this compare the the McClelland 221B series honeydew, a sweet Virginia flake tobacco based on a story in the Sherlock Holmes canon? I quite like the McClelland and was unaware others did similar. I'll have to give it a whirl.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
@crashthegrey, sorry to be the bearer of bad news yet again.

Mclellands honeydew, pales into utter insignificance compared to G&H rich dark honeydew, which itself is a totally inferior blend compared to gallahers RDH. 3 totally different blends.

Mclellands honeydew is a quality blend in its own right, but I found it lacking any strength or character. PM me your address, & I'll send you both nearly a full tin of mclellands & a sample of G&H. You'll see what I mean. You'll have to search the gallahers for yourself, as its nigh on impossible to find any now. The little I have, is all for me I'm afraid, as its my all time favourite smoke. Simon.

Status
Not open for further replies.