PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've never seen a pipe with an image painted on the bowl before that wasn't for a merely decorative pipe. Its not my style, but I like the uniqueness of it. I'm curious whether the image would flake or fade from regular use.
002-508-8921.5163.jpg

link

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Someone certainly likes them, They are selling. There are a couple of them that are interesting, but not pulling the trigger.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I'm with Jason on these. They're a crazy idea, & God only knows where it came from, but like J says, they do sell. Go figure; Nordings are all about half-a-bubble-off anyway in terms of style just generally. I'm not sure of the process they use, but whatever it is it seems to be durable enough.
B

youdancer

Lurker
Sep 19, 2016
Not even a fan of the shape and dressing it up to make it look like my nan's wallpaper isn't helping

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always skim past these while admiring Nording's in general. Why? First of all, as the original post wonders, I don't know how this paint job will age. One of the good things about many pipe finishes is that they develop in a pleasing way over time. This looks like it might either fade or cloud in a way that would just look muddy. Second, I don't know how the presumably smooth finish carrying the art work would shed heat. Then there's the simple matter of the look of the pipe. Like the Japanese Tsuge's adorned with delicate flower paintings, they are playing against type for men, showing the warrior's delicate sensitive side...or something like that. Which works when it works, let's say, but otherwise just looks incongruous, and the poor guy smoking this pipe doesn't control that. I won't even touch deciding if this is a pipe that would appeal to women; women will have to make a statement on that. Probably like men, they'd all have different opinions, seeing it as ridiculously girly or pleasantly colorful. I'd probably smoke this if I had it, but nothing about it has piqued my interest. It's a Nording so probably a fine pipe.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I've actually seen a few of them that I like, and are they actually painted? I just assumed they where "dipped". Kinda like the process they use to apply camo patterns to gun stocks and other things. Anyone know for sure?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
acid', good to hear an alternative opinion. I think the concept here is original, and it's useful to know that uncustomary things are tried, to keep the "tradition" fresh. And someone said these are selling well. So we're going forward, even if I haven't gotten on board yet. Thanks for piping up, as it were.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acid are you talking about hydrographics? I had a trim piece done for my wife's car a little while ago, a very interesting process. I'm not the process of getting this design on the pipe but would also be interested in knowing.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Yes mike that is what I'm talking about, didn't know the name of the process. I just figured that would be the quickest cheapest way to mass produce these patterns with minimum mistakes. Hopefully someone who knows more about it can chime in.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
That pipe is thoroughly ugly. I think the shape is ugly, and the paint makes it doubly so. That's a big HECK NO!!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I was gonna say 'fugh!', but then I remembered the Tyrolean ceramic pipes, whose painted designs I like, and changed my mind: I'd buy that Nording.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I must add, though, the appeal waxes or wanes based on the design/imagery. That one with the blue tit I like. I didn't care for the others' designs: way too Dada (i.e. fugh!).

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Dunno about that one but there was one I saw with a deer on it I thought was kinda nice. Different, artsy, and outdoorsy all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.