PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I just celebrated my first anniversary of pipe smoking recently and have enjoyed every day thus far. When I started smoking a pipe (a MM Pride), I put a soft bit on it and on every pipe I bought subsequently. After 10 months or so of using them, I decided to try smoking with out the bits and found it easier on my jaw and and that it made for a more enjoyable smoking experience overall as losing the bulk of the soft bit afforded me more options in terms of where on my lips and between my teeth I can hold my pipe. It also forced me to actually hold the pipe in hand which I feel puts me more in touch with how hot the pipe is getting and also forced me to slow down - benefits all around. This all being said, I still do clench from time to time and find that some of my pipes are easier to clench than others. Obviously my lighter, smaller pipes are best for this. Which of your pipes are easy clenchers? I'm always on the hunt for my next favorite pipe and could use suggestions for smaller, light weight briars - under $50 if possible. Thanks as always for your input.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Edward's 3/4 bent billiard. It's a small pipe, Algerian briar, and very light.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I rarely use my hands for smoking a pipe, I'm usually working with both while I'm smoking. I have some large gourds and a couple really nice meerschaums that I'll actually not clench. The rubber bit gave me time to practice the balance of various pipes in the mouth without biting the lip, but once I had it down, I would discard them right away, not a fan of them. Now I don't use them at all. They don't fall into your budget, but my favorites are my Nording Signature, Savinelli Noce, and my Radice Billiard for hands free needs. In fact, the Nording is dangling from my mouth right now.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Peterson System 312. Light, easy to balance, and the angle is just right to keep the smoke away from my nose. You may find a used Standard one for that price.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
@akfilm - I'll second the Nording signature. Not far off pipeanddrum's budget and a great pipe for the money

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Interesting about the Nording signature. By the looks of it, I'd guess that it is on the heavier side but I'll take your word for it being an easy clencher. $30 more on top of my budget isn't too unreasonable.
The Peterson 312 looks like a nice compact smoker. I just bought an Irish Second on a recent trip to the emerald isle which is basically a Peterson 303 but with a small fill in the bowl. Is the 312 smaller than the 303?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I recommend the Stanwell straight bulldog 32, light weight but still sufficient bowl, a good sturdy take-along pipe. Look first at pipesandcigars; it's hard to beat their prices on Stanwells. I like it so well I have two, the silk burne and smooth.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Interesting about the Nording signature. By the looks of it, I'd guess that it is on the heavier side

You're right about it being on the heavier side, but the bents have very good balance.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I have the 81. Fits your price.

Chacom Reybert Line

My fav by far. I do not have any recent picks because I grab and go whith this one.

20141217_093907.jpg

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for the recommendations, all. I enjoyed a bowl of some Mick McQuaid plug last night in a short Georg Jensen which turned out to be a great clencher.
@leacha, that is one smart looking cob. Where'd you get it?

Also, thanks for the tip on the Chacom. I'm not really into the red color but will look around for other versions.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I used to clench long, long ago but it is not good for the pipe and marks it all up as well as promoting TMJ, so for years, I don't clench at all, and rather prefer holding the pipe with one hand as I only smoke when I can devote my full attention to it anyway! Smoking is supposed to be a relaxing event, rather harder to do when your teeth are clenched.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
That's Walker Briar Works NoseWarmer. From his site:

A customer, Phil McCall, asked me to make this little ‘Nose Warmer’.  At first I thought he’d slipped a cog.  Was I ever wrong!  This pipe is CUTE!  It’s compact, but still a full size bowl for a great smoke.  It is made using a Washington Corn Cob bowl and a special cut Vulcanite fish tail stem with the distinctive ‘Forever’ Stem Dot.
The shank is 1” long (shortened 3/4”), and the stem is 1.5 “ long.

Overall Length: 3-1/2”

Bowl Height: 1-3/4”

Bowl Width: 1-1/4”

Tobacco Chamber: 3/4” x 1-1/4"

Here's one I made with my son. Its not hard. Pull shank, cut, shape, reattach and add stem.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I only clench my cobs when outside or working in the shop. I don't like my good bits chewed up. 99% of the time I hold my pipes while smoking.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I clench pretty much all my pipes and my favorite clencher is an author shape Sav despite the weight the thing practically rests on my chin.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
what's your favorite clencher?
No brainer - Szabo Baby Hungarian
The Hungarian (Oom Paul) is the perfect clencher by nature; make it a baby and you have a light pipe that comfortably rests on your chin. It also makes the perfect "hands free" pipe for driving.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Lately I've really enjoyed the clenching properties of a recently acquired Grabow TRU GRAIN that has a slightly canted group 3 sized billiard bowl and overall length of 6".

The stems on the pipes you clench are all important. Balance can compensate for weight. Some pipes take more work to clench than others.

I've dropped some out of my mouth for one reason or another usually something about how I get along with the stem.

Either a bit too fat for security, or the button is too small and thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.