Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

What's Your Favorite BULK Blend and Why?

(70 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

This topic has probably been discussed here before, but I thought it would be interesting to refresh a discussion on our favorite bulk pipe tobacco.

Mine is Mac Baren HH Mature Virginia. I buy it by the pound and always have a few pounds or more aging in the cellar. I'm a huge virginia fan and MV is easy to pack, easily to blend with condiments (such as my beloved Izmir), perfectly sweet yet tart, and the 15 different virginia leaves and 7 other tobaccos (including Burleys, Orientals and Black Cavendish in lesser, but discernible amounts) give a certain unique complexity to this blend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. juvat270

juvat270

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stokkebye Dansk Black.

Aromatics aren't my favorite, but I make an exception with this one. It actually delivers what aromatics always promise but often fail to and that is taste. I love this stuff.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. guitarguy86

guitarguy86

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Black House.
    It's a very straight forward Balkan, and to me, it's not too thin and weak like some other blends are. It's rich, smoky, full of flavor, but not over-powering. Satisfying. It's perfect for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. captainbob

captainbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aromatics containing Latakia are in a very small minority. I have never understood this because I like Latakia very much. However, if you smoke Latakia blends you may find yourself in unfavorable company. Therefore, if you like Latakia in a blend, you may enjoy "aromatics containing Latakia" and also please those around you as you smoke. In my opinion, especially in social situations, aromatic blends containing Latakia may be pleasing to everyone, including you. Personally, I have discovered that the classification of "aromatic pipe tobacco blends that contain Latakia" has been growing in popularity. But, the fact that they are in a minority makes it difficult to find one to try. Here is a link to C&D for aromatics containing Latakia: http://cornellanddiehl.com/aromatic_blends.htm
    Scroll to the bottom part of this page to find example descriptions of what is available only if you may be interested. Otherwise, disregard. You will see my blend described there. This is a personal endeavor to promote Latakia (in aroma pleasing blends) for those who experience the difficulty of finding tolerance of Latakia in public. My C&D blend does contain significant Izmir Turkish, as well. I think that most of you already know that I do not receive compensation for the sale of Captain Bob's Blend. That is the way I want it because it started as a personal blend just for me and then (the late) Craig Tarler decided it should go "Public". But, I insisted that since it had a following at "bulk" pricing, it should remain that way. Thus, it remains the only C&D blend with "Artwork" on the Bulk-Pricing Schedule. It is available at pipesandcigars.com at this location: http://search.store.yahoo.net/pipes-cigars-tobacco/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=pipes-cigars-tobacco&query=Capt.+Bob%27s+Blend&x=7&y=10
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. tomdavis

Sundown Piper

Login to Send PM

@CaptainBob - Thanks for the info on aromatics with latakia. Some of the blends at C&D in the referenced list are truly aromatics as the non-tobacco flavoring is listed. Others, like yours, appear to be "aromatic" byway of a higher component of orientals with some flavoring--but all blends have some flavoring. I do not want to hijack this interesting thread about that point. I do want to ask that anyone that likes a bulk oriental-dominate (i.e. natural aromatic) blend to share that with the post or PM me.

All things I undertake must contain integrity, compassion, elegance and grace.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. tomdavis

Sundown Piper

Login to Send PM

I got wrapped up in my post above about Cpt. Bob's post and forgot to answer the question. My favorite bulk blend is Larry's Blend by H&H. I like that the latakia is a condiment that supports the orientals and both carried along by Virginia base that stays in the background. It is also a low nicotine blend--I guess due to the higher percentages of orientals and latakia (an oriental). The price is also very reasonable.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. juvat270

juvat270

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oops...I think I misunderstood the thread title. I thought he meant, whats your favorite blend that you can only buy in bulk. Not what is your favorite blend that you buy in bulk.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

SHCP Great Hiatus is available in bulk, and is my first choice english blend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. spyder71

Spyder

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haunted Bookshop. I buy it in bulk and it is my "go to" smoke every day of the week. I love Burkey and Perique and this has a heavy dose of both. Big nic hit too

"I used to cry because I had no shoes. Until I met a man who had no feet"- My favorite and I use it to get by...

Support The Epilepsy Awareness Foundation!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cajundad

cajundad

Login to Send PM

Boswells Northwoods . Full body , thick smoke , stays lit , not too wet , and a hint of sweetness in the background . This runs a tight race with their magnum blend which is my other Fav. IMHO , Russ O. , and J Boswell are the blend masters !

"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan."
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

k9shag

Login to Send PM

McClelland 5100 I cut my teeth on straight Virginias and this is a staple in my newly formed cellar. Already have a couple of pounds jarred and aging.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cleidophoros

cleidophoros

Banned

Login to Send PM

Stokkebye Balkan Supreme.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. msandoval858

msandoval858

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke many different blends that it's hard to say what my true favorite would be but right now, in the bulk category Larry's Blend from H&H is tough to beat. That blend satisfies everything I love about pipe tobacco.

Mike
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

My fave is St James Flake because it is my favorite blend and if I got some I was lucky because it is never in stock.

There's nothing quite like tobacco: it's the passion of decent folk, and whoever lives without tobacco doesn't deserve to live.
    -Moliere
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

SG FVF

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd have to throw my vote to either PS Luxury Bullseye Flake or PS Deluxe Navy Flake. I've not had the chance to try too many but these two hit "the spot" for me; I seem to be going toward VA and VaPers more and more.

Greg
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Charles Fairmorn Balkan. It is simple & subtle, without the drama of more complex blends. I reach for it about half the time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am gonna mention Altadis Balkan II, because it is only available as a bulk, unlike some blends I get that are available both ways. It's a pretty decent Balkan at a good price.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone! I'll be bumping this to get more folks to list their faves.

Also, could those of you who posted here, but didn't mention "why" your preferred bulk blend is your favorite please do so? My intent here was to induce posts to assist fellow puffers in suggesting some terrific and usually less expensive choices to consider for an upcoming tobacco purchase.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

VaPer: 4noggins' Prairie Wind. Sweet and fruity rendition of Perique, very smooth and satisfying. A real sleeper among the 10,000 VaPers out there.

Danish Virginia flake, Altadis 507c. Fine long flake that probably doesn't get much attention because it doesn't have a real name -- just a number.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Altadis Edgeworth Ready Rubbed match, for the nuttiness of the burley and the molasses taste that comes through halfway down the bowl. That's my go to for working around the house, long trips, and general business. I also like Sterling's Old Dominion, usually in the mornings as my first smoke in a dedicated pipe. It has just a touch of sweetness and a plum-like taste. I like to keep plenty of both on hand.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. irishsmoker

irishsmoker

Login to Send PM

Mine is called English Oriental a blend by my local B&M! I love it! It has a deep complexity to it that I like in a good tobacco!

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." - Charles Lamb
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am gonna mention Altadis Balkan II, because it is only available as a bulk, unlike some blends I get that are available both ways. It's a pretty decent Balkan at a good price.[quote]+1 Jud,also like Balkin 1 to!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's another vote for Larry's Blend, for the reasons stated above. I always have some on hand and it is my go-to smoke and has been for several years. My second choice would be Stokkebye's Proper English, PS-52 as it is listed on cup of joes site. And recently I have rediscovered aromatics and like Lane's RPL-6.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

FVF
    I think it's my favorite to buy because its hard for me to find and I really love it..I prefer to buy on bulk because (this could be in my head) it seems to be smoother that way

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. cleidophoros

cleidophoros

Banned

Login to Send PM

Also, could those of you who posted here, but didn't mention "why" your preferred bulk blend is your favorite please do so?

Let's try it again then;

Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme.
    Contains Orientals, Virginia, Latakia and a bit of Cavendish.
    Medium strength.
    Ribbon cut; easy to load and light.
    Comes in pretty much perfect moisture.
    Doesn't burn hot, doesn't bite, doesn't need many if any relights. Leaves a fine grey/white ash.
    Cheap and readily available.
    Medium nicotine content.

Perfect everyday blend for balkan/english/latakia smoker.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone -- lots of great suggestions here -- and more than a few I need to try -- keep 'em coming!

hmm... need to put 507C on my favorites at P&C ....

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. elwin

elwin

Login to Send PM

1-Q from Lane.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Roth, I wrote a review of 507c some time ago. It may be more helpful than the hype appearing on P&C's web page.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Roth, I wrote a review of 507c some time ago. It may be more helpful than the hype appearing on P&C's web page.

Thanks Cortez, I read it. I was intrigued by it, as you listed it as a favorite bulk blend and I'm always drawn in by something that's plain and natural that "is what it is" and makes no pretense. I'm likely get some soon and age it for a year or three.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I buy JFH's Shortcut to Mushrooms in bulk to cellar (I jar it). I like Boswells Northwoods and Countryside but they just raised their prices to $4.25 per ounce and I don't see on their website that they give a price break if you buy by the pound. I am taking a look at 4 Noggins Chipman Hill and Pirate Kake to cellar as less expensive alternatives.

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peter Stokkebye Bullseye Flake....3 months in the jar and I think it tastes even better...

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ditto w/ Greg and Gnat.

PS Bullseye Flake is my most consistent everyday smoke. I just want to eat those delicious looking tobacco cookies. Tastes good while sipping on Patron Silver Tequila, really brings out the sweetness of the liquer.

It just smokes well no matter what I'm doing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Peter Stokkebye Bullseye Flake....3 months in the jar and I think it tastes even better...

+1 ... better still after a year or three.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a hard one. If I had to pick only one it would be Esoterica Stonehaven, followed very closely by SG St James Flake, Best Brown Flake and Full Virginia Flake. These 4 are the only bulks I am stocking up on. Unfortunately most of my favorites are tinned blends.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Harris, Dorchester is very good out of the bag, and will be better after aging I am sure. A very close second is Limerick -- I'm aging some of that as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. rondyr

rondyr

Login to Send PM

Man, I wish I could have gotten in on this deal. What a friggin' steal. I keep checking back all the time to see if they get it back in stock.

http://www.hilandscigars.com/mac-baren-hh-vintage-sirian-with-limited-edition-cansiter.html

I'm so awesome, I make myself jealous of myself.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Wow Rondyr, that's an amazing price! Probably a blow out for that vendor though. P&C has two canister blends like that still in stock, but at $60 {sigh}.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. rondyr

rondyr

Login to Send PM

Probably a blow out for that vendor though

I know, buddy.

BUT HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

roth, thanks for the suggestion. I used to smoke Dorchester years ago and enjoyed it. I have found that I do not enjoy broken flakes like I used to. I recently bought a tin of Dunbar and while I liked the flavor, it burned very quickly. I think I am just so used to flakes now that any other cut just seems to be lacking for me.

Limerick sounds interesting, what type of flake is it? Is it a Navy Cut like Dunhill Flake?

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. cacooper

cacooper

Login to Send PM

Greetings,

Lane Ltd. BCA. I have close to 10 lbs. cellared. BCA is the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked back in 1976, and is still my favorite "go-to" tobacco. Smoked straight it is smooth, cool, and creamy with absolutely no bite.

BCA blends well with a variety of other tobaccos. For example, I mix BCA and Lane BLWB 50/50. Smokes cool with a sweet, nutty character. The BCA sweetens up the BLWB and the BLWB tones down the BCA. Very balanced. And the aroma/roomnote can't be beat.

BCA tends to be a little moist and the BLWB dries it out a little. This helps the mixture stay lit better and improves the burn rate. A great all-day blend. Give it a try.

CACooper

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stockebye Nougat: Only one I've ever had. (Bought it because I read that's what they used for filming LOTR....anyknow know if that's the same for Hobbit?)

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I used to smoke Dorchester years ago and enjoyed it. I have found that I do not enjoy broken flakes like I used to. I recently bought a tin of Dunbar and while I liked the flavor, it burned very quickly. I think I am just so used to flakes now that any other cut just seems to be lacking for me.

Limerick sounds interesting, what type of flake is it? Is it a Navy Cut like Dunhill Flake?

No idea about Dunbar.

Dorchester (fresh out of the bag) smokes cool, relatively slowly, and smooth, with just the right amount of spice. From my experience, Dorchester is most certain to improve from very good to freakin' outstanding over time.

I certainly enjoy flakes as well, yet to avoid the one trick pony, trying to expand my horizons, I've found some surprisingly pleasing and wonderful blends that take me beyond that.

The Limerick DOES need aging. But it's quality, well formed flakes and it is reasonably priced. So throwing a pound or two in the cellar, I am certain, won't disappoint a couple years down the road.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

roth, thanks for the descriptions. I will check them out. I am always on the lookout for new blends. I recently added 2 to the rotation. Rotary Navy Cut and Wessex Gold Brick. The Gold Brick is a beautiful plug of Virginia's with just s hint of coffee, very interesting smoke. The Navy cut is a great looking flake that is described as having a top not of rum, I cannot taste any rum, but I do taste something that I like.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

The Navy cut is a great looking flake that is described as having a top not of rum, I cannot taste any rum, but I do taste something that I like

I think a hint of something is often much better than being hit over the head with it. Thanks for your suggestions!

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have tasted heavily flavored rum blends in the past and really did not like them, I totally agree about a hint being much better. That is why the gold brick is different, the hint of coffee is very much in the background of the Virginia's. It is the first time I have ever tasted a tobacco with any type of coffee. If I did not read the description I would have been hard pressed to say it was coffee I was tasting, but once I knew what to look for, I can get the hints of it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

sorry, double post.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You shouldn't assume that just because it's available by the ounce, it's somehow a lesser blend than a tinned blend.

About the only thing I think a tinned tobacco has, is perhaps more attention to consistency.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. wayneteipen

wayneteipen

Login to Send PM

Choosing just one is very difficult. Giving reasons why I like them is even more so. If I had to choose just one it would be 5100 although I almost never smoke it by itself. I keep at least a pound on hand at any given time. I use it as a base for my own blends. It's a nice, quality red Va. which is my favorite tobacco.

Other tobaccos that I keep a pretty large quantity in bulk are PS Luxury Bullseye Flake, PS Luxury Navy Flake, G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake, and Dan's Treasures of Ireland: Limerick.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. billbearcat

billbearcat

Login to Send PM

4noggins Prairie Wind. It smokes great, tastes great and has a decent enough room note (that i can tell). It just satisfies me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I posted on this thread 1 month ago when it was started I would have said 1-Q because it's inexpensive, smells/tastes great and smokes well.

Now I'd have to say I'm hooked on Blackhouse.

If they sold Villiger 1888 Mid-Day in bulk it would be near the top. It's got an amazing aroma and taste(to me it smells/tastes like maple syrup to others toasted marshmallows). Also it's one of the few blends that I can smoke right out of the tin and smoke the whole bowl with 2 matches consistently.

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  52. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only tobaccos I like enough to order in bulk are all perpetually sold out at my usual on-line retailers

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My favorite bulk has to be Mac Baren's 7 Seas Regular blend. I have about a pound of it in a jar.

It has a wonderful vanilla/coco casing that comes out nicely in the smoke and from time to time throughout the smoke the Black Cavendish and Golden Burley flavors will come to the forefront. It doesn't come overly moist and packs well. The blend takes a light wonderfully and burns evenly and smooth to a nice white ash. I've never had problems with it burning to hot or biting.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Stokkebye

Mine is a Stokkebye as well. Stokkebye Pistachio. It's wonderful. The aroma is of a sweet pistachio pudding. The flavor is not intense, but it's there and I love it.
    Captain Bob's Blend

I really want to try this. It has a grape flavoring right?

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  55. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since the month has passed, I can say unequivocally that Stonehaven is my favorite bulk. I have been able to acquire 2007, 2009 and 2010 batches so I have sampled each and love them all. The 07 is the most rounded and smoothest and I will be smoking some of that for a while. I really do not know how more age will make it better because it is so damn good now, but I am going to find out as I put 2.5 pounds of the 07 away for long term storage.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stokkebeye English Oriental Supreme

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. aristokles

aristokles

Login to Send PM

My favorite BULK blend(s) happen to be my favorite blend(s) outright. Why? I can only say because they are delicious for me. Price being very reasonable helps, but I would still pay more.
    Cornell & Diehl Engine 99, followed very closely by C&D #973 Cordial, and C&D Bayou Morning.

With those three I need no others really (but of course do not limit myself in reality).

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. morton

morton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two that I am smoking quite a bit of lately : PS Luxury Bullseye Flake and 4noggins Prairie Wind. Both have an amazing "tin" note, both are sweet tasting but not cloying and both are quite reasonably priced. I'm planning on jarring a fair bit more of both - I think they'll both vastly improve with age. I've got a fair bit of McCLelland 5110 (Dark Full English) put away and a jar with 6 months on it opened right now, very full and rich. There are a few Peterson blends that I wish were sold in bulk - I'd be all over them like a fat kid at the chocolate factory!

Be careful what you wish for, as you just might get it.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  59. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LBF is nice, but not as flavourful as I would like. It is fairly simple and mild in perique, but occasionally it offers a glimpse of greatness...

Full Virginia Flake and St. James Flake are perhaps my favourite bulks. (As you all know, they are hard to acquire)

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. doctorthoss

doctorthoss

Login to Send PM

I can't narrow it down to just one, but I can narrow it down to only two.

The first is Old Joe Krantz. To me, this is the perfect American-style "all day" blend. It's very strong, very full-flavored, and has what one TR reviewer described as a "kaleidoscope of flavors" due to the interaction of the burlies, red virginia and heavy helping of perique. It burns wonderfully and can be smoked around the clock with little to no tongue irritation. Also, did I mention that it was strong?

The second is Northwoods. While it lacks the strength of Old Joe Krantz, it has a full-flavor and is delightfully easy on the tongue. Also, there is an unusual incense-like spice in this blend that is similar (but not the same as) the complex oriental notes contained in a few high-end tinned blends. Northwoods isn't perfect (there is a vague chemical aftertaste, probably due to the PG or some kind of topping) but it's nonetheless the bulk blend I reach for when I want a good helping of latakia but I'm not up for a bowl of, say, Odyssey or Maltese Falcon.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
    Posted 1 year ago #
  61. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks to roth's recomendation I have MacBaren's HH Mature Virginia. It's very tasty and have two pounds aging. Balkan Supreme would be my English/Balkan choice. I will get to some of the others favorites eventually and they may take over the favorites list for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Like life, our favorite bulk pipe tobacco blends are forever changing.

While HH Mature Virginia has held the top spot for me for quite some time, since I posted this thread, I've sampled more than a few bulk blends and enjoy most of them tremendously. The last two are H&H Black House and H&H Anniversary Flake, procured during last month's P&C Hearth & Home promotion.

Happy to hear you're really enjoying HHMV, Mustang!

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. User has not uploaded an avatar

easterntraveler

Login to Send PM

I love full bodied tobaccos such as Mac Baren Darkfired and Peterson Irish. Anyone know if a full body flavored tobacco that I can by in bulk or us a little lighter on the pocket book?

Because straight is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life and few be there that find it.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  64. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As with so many things, asking for anything favorite on this forum is like asking "Which one is your favorite child", hence a hopeless debate

But here's the shortlist of the bulk blends I buy regularly:
    Lane Limited 1-Q: It's just a regular staple with a consistent quality and flavor profile. The room note is acceptable and reminds many people of "what pipe tobacco is supposed to smell like". I carry it with me all the time in my pouch #1.
    Lane Limited MV-1000: A nice Virginia with a little vanilla toppping that is right up there with the 1-Q. But less sweet, a little more lemony or grassy thanks to the Virginia. Just like 1-Q, non-offensive and smokes easily. It is one of the two tobacco's loaded in pouch #2.
    AC Peterson Mark Twain: A nice cavendish with a caramel, marsh mallow kinda aroma. Even the occasional wiff of chocolate has been known to make itself known on happenstance. It is the other tobacco loaded in pouch #2.
    Cornell and Diehl Autum Evening: A relatively recent addition to the bulk jars. I purchased one tin and the maple sweetness was an absolute success in the Autumn evenings. I guess they chose the name well. Given that it is also quite tolerated by the better half, it has earned its rightful place on the shelf.
    MacBaren Vanilla Cream loose cut: Since this is available in 16Oz. containers or bags, it gets added regularly to my bulk purchases thanks to its ability to appease the wife and lure her to come sit out on the patio swing with me. It's vanilla aroma has an irresistable call to my lovely spouse, who loves all things Vanilla. Now if I could only find a way to load-up those darn Glade wall-plug things with this, I would be a happy man.
    Kendal's Kentucky by Gawith, Hoggarth and Co: This fine shag cut is just my nicotine princess. Either smoked by itself in a smaller size bowl or added to any of the aforementioned tobacco's, it tends to be able to curb my nicotine cravings and hence is able to keep madness at bay.

As you notice, most of my bulk purchases are aromatics. I purchase most other things in tins, although I have a couple of jars of H&H LJ heart Virginia, some Louisiana Red and some Old Joe Krantz and Haunted Bookshop from C&D stashed away somewhere

Hope this gives you some more ideas. Happy puffing !

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  65. durham270

Durham

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here are my favorites which I have a reacquiring order for. I enjoy aromatics and English blends and at times I'd rather have a good Virginia. So here's what I mostly smoke.

Lane RLP-6 - This is my all day smoker. A sweet but not overly sweet aromatic similar to Captain Black Original.

Stokkebye Golden Dansk - I find this similar to Lane 1-Q but somewhat stronger in room note and flavor. I'll smoke this on occasion as an alternative to Lane RLP. It's a nice aromatic in a Danish blending style.

Stokkebye Luxury English - This is the first English blend I've tried and liked it well enough I'm happy and continue to smoke it without thinking much of trying anything else. I like the Latakia/English blend. The description reads: A characteristic English Mixture, developed from mellow Georgian Virginias, Black Cavendish, Mexican Burleys and Cyprian Latakia, a classic. Mild to medium strength.

Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake - Every now and then I like a bowl of this later in the evening. For me it has a good nicotine kick. This is one to sip to avoid a strong nicotine kick. For me anyway. It can also burn a little hot at times.

Stokkebye Bulls Eye Flake - I smoked a bowl when it first arrived and was not sure if I liked it or not. I had other blends so I put it on the back burner for a couple of months. I actually forgot I had it. Started smoking it again, now I love it. Its just a nice smooth smoke. My friends also love the way it looks! I think I'm going to stock up on this one and let it age for a very long time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Well since I last posted on this thread, I've added a new (for me) bulk blend and more of another.

500g of Rattray's Marlin Flake (after a sample from a friend -- thanks, Chris!)

1 more pound of Dan Treasures of Ireland: Limerick

I tossed in a couple 50g tins of Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown Flake (I want to check out that rum topping)

A small TAD for me -- I need to buy some more jars LOL.

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. eazye77

eazye77

Login to Send PM

I would have to say C&D Pirate Kake! Me being a lat man I love the flavor of the smokiness and it's very rich. My mouth waters every time I smoke it. Going to buy some on my next order. Haven't had it in a few months.

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. zdwebb12

zdwebb12

Login to Send PM

Got to go with McClelland 5100. Love that sweet Virginia smoke.

“Pipe: a primary masculine symbol with authoritarian overtones but also indicative of reliability and contentment.”
    -The Dictionary of Visual Language, 1980
    Posted 1 year ago #
  69. redbeard

redbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Black gold plus, I made a post about it a while back but it has dissapeared. It s a heavy aero with lots of flavor, a nice cool smoke, I absolutely love it!

I pickd it up from a local cigar shop and he told me what was in it. I looked online and found a black gold plus that has the same leaf but without the cavendish.

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well bulk can mean two things, is it bought loose, or in a container. BBF, FVF, SJF are all available as bulk, but I buy them in large containers, 250gram or pound. The many blends that aren’t available in containers (5 pound bags not counting) and from even a B&M are another kind of bulk.
    Most aromatics will be in bulk, or made by a B&M under a label. One of my go to Vapers is MC SJF 2015. It goes out of stock a lot so I guess some others are enjoying it too. I buy a pound and cellar half.

Even though H&H AK is one of my favorites, it comes in 8oz tins and even though I get it out if the rolled pressed tin and into jars, it’s not a bulk in the true sense.

Craig

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   crazypipe, rangerearthpig, mmjk, rootling, tbradsim1, metarzan, numbersix, jarit, voorhees, yaddy306, meatballj, purplemotoman, pitchfork, rsuninv, theboz, conlejm, verse, ejames, drrock, dochudson