Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:   

What's Your Favorite Bird?

(60 posts)
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most pipers seem to relate to nature to at least some degree. I wonder what is your favorite bird?
    I guess well all like fried chicken, roast turkey, and Long Island Duck when we can get it, but I was
    thinking more of the wild birds we enjoy as much for sighting them and for the music they add to
    the outdoors. I love seeing hawks, and hearing owls. My all time favorite may be the mourning dove,
    for that periodic call, usually about seven repeated tones. Love that coming through the screen on
    a breezy afternoon, or when I step out the door in the morning.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. trailspike48

trailspike48

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pheasant, delicious! OK, I like humingbirds, and watching the hawks outside my window while they hunt.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. trailspike48

trailspike48

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oops, Double post.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Owls, all species, are my favorites. The Mourning Dove is very soothing to hear, but I would rather hunt and eat them! I also enjoy watching hawks, eagles, falcons and humming birds. Being a duck hunter, I also enjoy watching waterfowl. But again, I would rather hunt and eat them! I will say that some male ducks(drakes) are among the prettiest birds in the world! Especially Wood Duck drakes.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Goldfinch

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

To eat, pheasant and duck. To watch in the wild or backyard, bluebirds, finches, hummingbirds, and owls...if I can ever see them and not just hear them!

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just love bluebirds.

photo Eastern_Bluebird-27527-2_zps9d233778.jpg">

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

plateauguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When we lived on the Big Island, HI the doves would come in thru the slider and ask my wife for a treat. They were always polite and didn't leave anything behind. I loved the soft coooooo in the morning. Now we watch humming birds.

That said, there's nothing like a big slice of turkey next to mashed potatoes and gravy.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can remember hearing the call of the Cardindals when I was very young, and my mom has an affinity for them, so I love Cardinals. But, the Blue Bird is very cool to see. They make homes in Iowa, but seeing them is a somewhat rare occurance. For me anyway.

Jerod
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. terrygoldman123

terrygoldman123

Login to Send PM

Big Bird and Loons. Love those Loons.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Favorite that I've observed in my backyard - hummingbird.
    Favorite that I've observed in the wild - assorted raptors (golden eagle, bald eagle, hawks)
    Favorite that I've only seen in zoos/heard about - White-Tailed Sea Eagle.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

We're seeing a marked increase in Osprey here on the coast and the islands. Huge nests, on high perches; majestic birds and a joy to watch.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. bryanf

bryanf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Come September first, Dove. Mmmmm....tasty.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. petergunn

petergunn

Login to Send PM

Bonasa Umbellus, Ruffed Grouse the best game bird to hunt and tastes like chicken, only better.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

1 whole Penguin

3/4 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons dried basil

1 teaspoon ground sage

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

2 cups water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Clean Happy Feet, and place in a roasting pan with a lid.
    In a small bowl, combine olive oil, garlic powder, dried basil, ground sage, salt, and black pepper. Using a basting brush, apply the mixture to the outside of the uncooked Penguin. Pour water into the bottom of the roasting pan, and cover.
    Bake for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the thigh measures 180 degrees. Remove bird from oven, and allow to stand for about 30 minutes before carving.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love birds of prey. They are majestic creatures. But I also think sparrows and finches are just neat little things.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Favorite to see around home: hummingbirds. Favorite in general: parrots and cockatoos...never owned one, but may one day.

@saintpeter: You’re a cruel man! But you shall not have the last laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSxCT1Faw6k

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. erichbaumer

erichbaumer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gamble's and Elegant quail. Beautiful birs, and hunting them in Mexico was one of the best experiences of my life so far.

"I don't want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it." -Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  19. sallow

sallow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I were king I would make my quails take baths in lemon juice every day so they would be pre-marinated. There is a restaurant in Chicago called Reza's and they do quails tasty.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pigeon.

Pipestud

Pipestud
    Posted 5 years ago #
  21. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seagulls. I used to ride the back deck on the Staten Island Ferry to and from Manhattan to watch the Seagulls following the ride.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. simnettpratt

simnettpratt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Saw a hummingbird and a squirrel get in a fight at the Frito Lay headquarters north of Dallas. The hummingbird won.

Penguins are pretty adorable, with their waddly gait that switches to sleek swimming when they hit the water.

I saw a bald eagle once, in the woods around Lake Ouachita in Arkansas. He was sitting majestically on the top of a tree - there was no doubt what that was.

When I was younger, there was a limestone shelf above a sharp drop into a ravine fifteen miles outside Rio Vista, TX in the middle of nowhere. I used to ride my motorbike out there with a sleeping bag and a pipe and read Tolkein. Someone had carved the Elvish rune G (for Gandalf, shades of Weathertop from The Hobbit) on the limestone. If you remained perfectly still, the buzzards would circle and look at you. If you were able to stay still for thirty minutes, they would land to check you out. By that time, you'd flinched and they'd be off.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I love to watch the hummingbirds work our butterfuly bushes and bee balm plants, as I enjoy a smoke on the patio.

Al

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. theboz

theboz

Login to Send PM

I love seeing most birds of prey, and my favorite is the peregrine falcon. but since I raise them the Saxony and Silver Appleyard ducks are my all time favorites.
    Saxony

Silver Appleyard

“There are two types of people; those who come into a room and say, "Well, here I am!" and those who come in and say, "Ah, there you are."-Unknown
    Posted 5 years ago #
  25. werdna

werdna

Login to Send PM

It's like potato chips, can't eat just one. I like to hear cardinals in the early morning. I watch a flock of turkeys comb through the field near my house, and the Canada geese on the pond. Every year the phoebes nest in my barn. Sad though, they'll all be leaving soon, except the turkeys.

And to all a good night.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  26. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ptui bird. When you taste it you say "Ptui," it tastes so bad. The only way to eat one is to shoot it over a pot of boiling water and hope it falls in.

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Ptui bird.

Sounds like the one and only mud hen I ever shot and tried to eat as a kid.

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This one, my Girl, Lucy. Small Quacker with huge attitude.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  29. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like Lucy. Another favorite bird of mine is the Laysan Albatross. I spend 8 months on Midway Island when
    I was in the Navy and the Navy had custody of Midway Island. Now it belongs to the Department of Interior
    as a wildlife refuge. The albatross are sometimes called Gooney Birds by the ignorant, because they take
    hard landings after days/weeks/months at sea, but they have a lot of dignity airborne, and an interesting
    social and family life on land. They dance and do their "sky call," and many other interesting activities,
    and seeing the chicks hatch and slowly accustom to eventual flight was a lifetime experience.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. bigriggers01

bigriggers01

Login to Send PM

Little Owls becuase they have the most character of any wild bird I've ever seen. To my mind, though, nothing beats the taste of duck.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would say the Shit Bird, I have seen so many in my life that I have grown fond of the different kinds!

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Haha Bradley! We do get a lot less tolerant of st00pid as we get older, don't we?

Concerning "shit birds," we have a bunch of them here -- seagulls!

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. mrjerke

JJ Pipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shhhhhhhhh. Don't tell anyone but it's a rare species called the "Larry."

Jordan

"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead." - Marjorie Pay Hinckley
    Posted 5 years ago #
  35. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Eagles are my favorite. I like all kinds of raptors though. Where I am in the Pacific Northwest this time of year they start to line the river for the salmon run. You could easily count up to 8000 Bald Eagles in some stretches of the river. It is quite amazing.

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 5 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

Love the briar

Login to Send PM

I love to talk to the doves in the morning, pretty good at it, they love to see me on the deck with my pipe on the weekends. We also have a owl that visits us late at night quit often. His favorite perch rotted and finally broke, so I climbed up there and made him a new one.

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. irwinmetro

irwinmetro

Login to Send PM

Love me those Albino Peacock's

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I like all birds. Maybe I was one in a previous incarnation. (Bad karma -- comin' back as a human bean!)

Geese are good for me. Every day, I see many gaggles flying from the Chicago suburbs to the lakefront parks and back.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 5 years ago #
  39. bryanf

bryanf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Turkey and quail are tasty, too. Duck is okay, but I hate to admit, I much prefer farm raised to the ducks I hunt, as far as eating goes. Can't beat chicken!

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

Love the briar

Login to Send PM

My wife and I are avid duck hunters, but I must say that everyone we have ever harvested were given away to people that eat them. We do not like wild duck in anyway there cooked, we have tried everyway. All we keep is the jewelry on them if they have any. One might think how do wild ducks have jewelry? If you have to ask this question then your not a duck hunter.

Posted 5 years ago #
  41. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'Really like Carolina Wrens, a gutsy little bird that zips right up and looks you in the eye, and
    will almost nest in your hat. Fearless. Round little bodies, and long bills, but agile and quick.

Mockingbirds are another great avian. What songsters. They can do scores of different calls,
    some imitative, but many improvisational. In the spring, a male will sit on the top of a pine
    or flag pole singing his heart out (luring a girlfriend) and mid-song will do a back flip and
    re-alight on its perch. They really do a thrilling music. If you walk past a bush where one is
    singing, you realize what volume they generate. No amp required.

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. smeigs

smeigs

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love owls and our state bird, the Roadrunner.. They are crazy fellows I must say. We roll up raw meatballs for them and they go crazy.

“A pipe in the mouth makes it clear that there has been no mistake–you are undoubtedly a man.”
    Posted 5 years ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

and our state bird, the Roadrunner

Casa Grande here.

Posted 5 years ago #
  44. rthbaum

rthbaum

Login to Send PM

Well this one is hard to narrow down to one or even a few. I am a birder and photographing birds is one of my favorite hobbies. A few of my favorites are the American Kestrel, the Great Blue Heron and the almost tame Western Scrub Jays around my back yard that will come and take peanuts from my hand.

Posted 5 years ago #
  45. cynyr

cynyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love all birds, from canaries to owls... I have hooters outside the house sometimes, and mourning doves at work. But my favorite is the Tennessee Mockingbird. (+1 mso489!) Mockers will fight anything, including themselves if they see a mirror. A mocker chasing a crow out of his territory is a common sight round here.

Obscure reference, ten point bonus: "I don't like the gannet. They wet their nests."

Posted 5 years ago #
  46. checotah

checotah

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two of my favorite birds....

Posted 5 years ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

One of my favorite birds at TOM 2012.

Posted 5 years ago #
  48. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mine is the Ferruginous Hawk. I spent some time documenting a nest of them near where I lived for a 4-H project and that drew me to them as a bird. Many people mistake them for a Swainson's but the coloring on the underside of the wings is distinctive and cool.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  49. alancairns

alancairns

Login to Send PM

The Pearly-vented Tody Flycatcher for sure!

Alan

(Failing that, I'll take a Toco Toucan).

Posted 5 years ago #
  50. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Always seem to be able to spot Hawks in the trees while driving. I guess they are my animal I'm supposed to be connected with in this life.

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  51. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Was Larry Bird ever that young in the history of the universe, or is that a photoshop job? He had to
    have been young once. But had they invented photography?

Posted 5 years ago #
  52. inteus

inteus

Login to Send PM

My favorite bird is my peach faced Love Bird, Sweetie. He's such a ham.

Posted 5 years ago #
  53. guhrillastile

guhrillastile

Login to Send PM

Black capped chickadee...

Aka cheeseburger birds. Cool little dudes. Do a YouTube search for the call. Very distinct and humorous.

Out in northern NV during calving season the bald eagles are all over. Fun to watch and a treat to see. Hmmm. Wouldnt describe myself as a bird watcher, but come to think of it. I do enjoy them. I have travelled around quite a bit and its one of the things you notice. The local birds get ignored.

Redwing blackbirds in the Thermalands. Eagles in NV, Pelicans and Sand pipers on the coast. The crafty assorted respective inner city sparrows and commons in most major cities. They all have such habits and purposeful behaviors I guess I WOULD consider myself a bird watcher. Hmm. Good thread.

Posted 5 years ago #
  54. boudreaux

boudreaux

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tough to pick one. For color, painted bunting, but have never actually seen one (not native to area). Baltimore Oriole is another, and have seen two of them. Also spotted a beautiful bluebird on the lawn down in East Texas.

For personality, the blue jays in my back yard. They fly down in the mornings and perch on the stacked pile of wood, allowing them to catch sight of us at the breakfast table. Then they start their characteristic chortle until we toss out bread or saved pieces of pizza crusts for them.

--boudreaux
    Posted 5 years ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To eat, grouse, to watch none. I have a very irrational fear of birds and can't stand to be around the flying ones (yes I know pathetic).
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  56. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have lived in Maryland most of my life and have never seen our state bird, the Oriole.

Posted 5 years ago #
  57. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Roast chicken

Posted 5 years ago #
  58. pchitti

pchitti

Login to Send PM

I have had the joy of seeing bald eagles many times. We have a pair that roost near Lake Waco and I see them usually at least once a year. Once at my Grandmas in Omaha, NE I watched one land on her fence in the back yard. To date that is my favorite memories.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
    Posted 5 years ago #
  59. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are so many to choose, but for some reason, I really like a nuthatch. We see them here in VT and I always associate them with the woods and mountains.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 5 years ago #
  60. auslander

auslander

Login to Send PM

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jeremychoate, 5star, mellobeing, brooklynpiper, haparnold, jjarrett88, papipeguy, mau1, ashdigger