PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
While I've had my poor boy time with Schaefer Lite and Milwaukee's Best, my favorite beer so far is McChouffe. It's a Belgian strong dark ale made in the Scottish style. It comes in the 750ml fancy beer wine bottle, but annoyingly doesn't have a cork, but a cap. Drive home in your sports car the way you normally drive and it blows the hell up, makes one hell of a mess.
It produces a head a squirrel could sit on, and tastes like you're drinking the color brown. At 8.00% ABV, if you drink the whole bottle, you'll be pretty happy. My second favorite beer is Leinenkugel's Winter Ale. It only came out for three or four seasons, but is also nutty and brown.
Fresh Bass Ale is good, as is Fort Worth's Rahr and Sons Bucking Bock.
The only two beers I've had to throw away have been Schlitz Malt Liquor and Michelob's Honey Wheat.
What do you guys like? By the way, if you say chilled Budweiser, I'm going to haughtily sniff at you. *snif* There, I feel better.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
For big gatherings I serve Yuengling's Lord Chesterfield Ale (the brewery is 45 minutes from me) and Stella Artois. For sipping it's Thomas Harding Ale. For dessert Young's Double Chocolate Stout; cake in a bottle.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Lately I've become a fan of a local brewery, Indigo Imp (indigoimpbrewery.com) especially their Gatekeeper porter.
There are enough lovers of Prince Albert and Captain Black that I gotta believe that same love of the pedestrian will be reflected in beer choices. "I don't need no fancy-schmancy micro-brews, gimme an ice cold Miller Lite anytime!"

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I reach for a Bourbon before a beer, but in my house there is only 1 I keep ready, Gulden Draak from Belgium. Hard to get but man, worth it.
When I was 16, I went to a my first football beer party, drank Schlitz until I couldn't see straight. The next day I died, on the floor puking with a wrecking ball in my head, never touched the stuff since. The smell still brings it back to mind.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
As for lager, there's none better than Brand. With a history going back as far as 1370, it's one of the hoppiest lagers you'll find with a very crisp taste. And as for special beers, there are so many I find it hard to pin a favourite. Rochefort 8 would be high on my list, Gulden Draak too, but in summertime I also like a nice Gueuze.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Good topic for a Saturday. My favorite changes like the weather. Lately I've been drinking Red Hook ESB from Seattle. Its a great tasting lager. The other night I tried Ohio Brewing Co. Double Irish Red. This was a super brew, nice and red very sweet and malty 6.9% yum!

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
@bigvan I first bought the red hook because I liked the carton art. Man was I blown away by how good it was when I popped that first one.

Jul 12, 2011
Been drinking Bass pub pour
bass_can.jpg

A jet of nitrogen is introduced into the can before filling. That nitrogen is released when you open the can, making the beer pour with a creamier, richer head, much like what you could expect from a pub with fresh Bass on tap

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
This is a very complicated question and difficult to answer.
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Love this stuff also papipeguy.
I would have to say Guinness. I'm not sure if you can all relate to my theory but you know when something is your favorite, except you only like to enjoy it on occasion? That's Guinness for me. With so many awesome beers out there, imported and Domestic, it's hard to choose. Many summer days I reach for Coors Light or Labatte Blue and those could be considered my favorite because of weather, temperature, etc.. because a Guinness isn't the most thirst quenching beer out there, lol. However a nice Guinness is perfect some evenings. I also love the Samuel Adams Winter Lager and Octoberfest (during those months and seasons).

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I like IPAs, but not with a pipe. It's hard to explain, but to me the two flavors don't compliment each other.
Bentmike, I'm a huge fan of Red Hook. They recently brought back their Rye beer which is also one of my all time favorites. They also used to brew a Double Black Stout made with Starbucks coffee. All are just so good!

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
Stella is good. Boddingtons on occasion. Modelo if I want a mexican style beer. Schwarzbier when I want something a little different. Schwarzbier comes with a wire bail cap instead of a cork or cap. If i want something a little sweeter, I will get a Lambic, usually Lindeman's Framboise, its just a good choice for something a little sweeter.

vegasblue

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2012
I'm not to much into beer. For me sam adams makes a good variety, enough to where i have choices of different styles without having to go to far.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
For me

Winter: Sammy smiths winterwarmer,oatmeal stout and omegang beers. Of course lord chesterfield but unavalible in my area.

Spring: light IPA's, founders all day ipa.

Summer: lagers and cream ales( all)

Fall: I really like the pumpkin ales.

If they don't make it, I will brew it myself.

Had a hankering for a off the wall cream ale, made a vanilla /lavender cream ale. Crisp and tasty.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.