What's Your Car Pipe?

(51 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by carolinachurchwarden
  • Latest reply from Olkofri
  1. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like to have a bowl on my morning and/or afternoon commutes. Helps me relax when I'm amongst the neanderthals that was somehow able to obtain a driver's license.

My latest car pipe useage has been my MM Dagner Poker and my Carolina Gent. They hold tobacco pretty well and are nice and short. I learned that lesson the hard way when I tried to smoke my Rossi Canadian and banged it on the side glass while changing lanes. It's just so comfortable to clench, I forget about it once in a while.

So what's your car pipe?

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two Dagner Poker Cobs that live in my truck, for emergency use only. I much prefer my other pipes. I have two cases that hold pipes. One holds two and the other holds six. One of them always goes out the door with me.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 4 months ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I was smoking a variety of pipes and blend genres in my car, but I narrowed it down to only maple aromatics in a Savinelli 606 KS Miele. It is light enough to clench for an hour smoke. Also, I find a rubber pipe bit to be necessary when driving.

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Usually a briar I grab as I leave the house. Were you trying to stick your head outside, through a closed window, to check the lane? I don't think in either of my vehicles I could strike the window when simply turning my head. Are you driving a "tiny" car?

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  5. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are you driving a "tiny" car?

Well, not too tiny, it's a Honda Accord, but when I used that long shank pipe and I turned my head to check the lane in a hurry, it clanked off the glass and shocked a tooth or too. I just use the shorter cobs now. Maybe once in awhile I will smoke my bents, that makes them a little shorter from my face.

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Only cobs for the car or walks with the dog

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I used to keep a Dunhill zulu in the glove box but now it's whatever pipe I pack for work. Usually a yachtsman or a Weaver.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  8. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whichever; I'm more concerned on blend selection, which is matched to a given pipe (I strive to dedicate by genre). Even my churchwardens get to be 'car pipes'.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  9. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use a Dr. Grabow Prince. The mortise is threaded aluminum as is the tenon so I never have to worry about the stem coming loose. I also use some Falcons in th car from time to time.

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All my vehicles have 2 wheels, so I do not smoke on the commute. My commute is only 5 miles. so I can hold out until I get home.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 4 months ago #
  11. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I just started keeping a Grabow straight billiard, with mismatched stem in my car for emergency.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  12. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dagner ccbs here also. I swear they were designed for driving.

I just mentioned on another thread that I didn’t care for rubber softie bits but now I’m thinking they would be great for driving with some of my bent briar work pipes.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 4 months ago #
  13. johnbarleycorn

johnbarleycorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I normally have 4 or 5 cobs in my truck along with an odd briar or two. Along with two or three jars of tobacco. And a tin a Samuel Gawith snuff. And assorted other goodies.

And little Sir John and the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last
    Posted 4 months ago #
  14. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I smoke cobs, Falcons and DrGs in the truck. I usually have an assortment of 4 or 5 tins or pouches.

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 4 months ago #
  15. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing specific, I load 3-4 bowls in the morning as well as a couple of pouches to get thru the work day, I have eight inexpensive Briars and a cob that are my work pipes, I’ll rotate em on a weekly basis. My work pipes take a lot of abuse. If I’m just running errands or on a trip I’ll take along something nicer.

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. maduromadness

maduromadness

Login to Send PM

I keep 2 Peterson full bents under 1.3 oz for solid clenching and a petite meershaum under 1.0 oz. I tote around about 6 to 8 blends too, it all fits in a shoe box for ease of transport and moving inside my car.

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

MM Marcus for "emergencies" and city driving, regular pipes for longer drives. Well, and cigars in the glove compartment...

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep 2 Peterson full bents under 1.3 oz for solid clenching and ....

Me too, along with a half pound of tobacco. But I pack a pipe as I head out the door. If it's a real trip, a half dozen pipes and several blends go with me. There's also an emergency tin and a crappy pipe (NOT a Crappy pipe) in the boot, or trunk.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  19. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke daily on my work commute. All my pipes are car pipes.I take 3 pipes in a case every day.

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipe smoking for me is for rest and relaxation, so I don't enjoy a pipe in the car. However since I want to participate in this thread, here is something like my cars pipe:

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just smoke whatever I am smoking... in the truck. No special pipes. This is my dashboard pipe rests.

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  22. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My truck pipe is a bent MM Rob Roy.
    The Rob Roy is my favorite house pipe, too.

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, love the pipe rack. Did you carve that?

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Trout, no, I bought a box of them at The Briary years back. Most of them are placed strategically throughout the house and my studio, but they fit perfectly on the dash, with a piece of no-slip drawer liner underneath them to prevent them from scooting about in stop and go situations. My wife's car has the perfect little ridge in front of her car computer screen that works great at holding my pipe when I drive hers.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My car pipes used to be cobs, but after some close calls (running off the road or hitting another car) I gave up on smoking pipes while driving. Just have problems lighting a pipe while driving. Also if the wife is in the car with me I definitely won't be smoking a pipe.

Posted 4 months ago #
  26. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

I keep a cob in the car in case I get stuck in traffic
    Small bowl nothing fancy

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  27. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

Grabow Golden Duke or a Petersen Dublin due to how light weight they are.

Now I'm interested in grabbing some Danger Poker cobs, those are definitely my style.

Cosmic, I love your dashboard pipe rests: compact, elegant and not glued to your dash with adhesive. My current vehicle lacks a dip in the dashboard to accommodate that setup.

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

I've got a number or pipes and tobacco jars I leave in my car. I switch the tobacco jars up occasionally based on my mood or when they get empty but the pipes are always the same. I've got a Dr. Grabow and a few briarworks I got pretty cheaply as well as a few basket pipes and a cob. I usually leave the more expensive pipes at home.

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Kaywoodie Stembiter and a MM Legend cob I keep in my truck.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 4 months ago #
  30. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Traffic accidents usually take us by surprise (otherwise we would have avoided them). Airbags inflate with an explosive force that can drive a pipe right through your head, so exercise extreme caution. I'm guessing that a deeply bent pipe would be the least dangerous choice; plus, they give you more vision and clenching leverage. Also, remember to use a lighter that does not continue to burn should you drop it for some reason.

[/sermon]

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 4 months ago #
  31. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Traffic accidents usually take us by surprise (otherwise we would have avoided them). Airbags inflate with an explosive force that can drive a pipe right through your head, so exercise extreme caution. I'm guessing that a deeply bent pipe would be the least dangerous choice; plus, they give you more vision and clenching leverage. Also, remember to choose a lighter that does not continue to burn should you drop it for some reason.

10-4 Cortez. I try to be as safe as possible. I use bics in the car and believe me, I've thought of that what if scenario, so I am always watching the cars in front and behind me and spend a good bit of time pulling the pipe from the clutches of my jaw when I see traffic get too thick.

It's funny, though, in my companies safety videos and manuals, they always say that all accidents are preventable...I've always disagreed with that statement, since you can't control what the other idiots on the road do.

Posted 4 months ago #
  32. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never clench my pipe right out in front of my face. That's just too much of a neophyte look IMO. I clench off to the side. If an explosive force went off in front of me, most likely my pipe would just get knocked to the side. But heck, we eat, drink, text, and take pictures as we drive. Unless you are just learning to drive or too old to remember where you were going, one should be just fine.

But, then again, I live in an area where if I do see other people on the road, we are moving like 10 MPH, but mostly we are on the road by ourself if we are going any faster than that.

Posted 4 months ago #
  33. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

Posted 4 months ago #
  34. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

My car pipes used to be cobs, but after some close calls (running off the road or hitting another car) I gave up on smoking pipes while driving. Just have problems lighting a pipe while driving.

Which begs the question - how does one safely load and light a pipe while driving? I do it all the time but always with the thought that it's not entirely safe. Any tips?

Posted 4 months ago #
  35. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It would be an MM cob, but old single-track-Tom doesn't smoke a pipe and drive at the same time. As a pipe to take along, a cob.

Posted 4 months ago #
  36. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

how does one safely load and light a pipe while driving?

I can do a codger scoop to load my pipe, without even having to look or think about it, and lighting a pipe, is just as easy as lighting a cigarette, just flick your Bic and puff. People smoke cigarettes all the time without killing thousands in the process. Is this just a pipe specific thing, or does it bother you guys when someone does anything while driving? Just curious as to why people get "concerned" when smoking a pipe while driving comes up.
    If you can eat a burrito and drive, I'm not sure how different that would be from smoking a pipe. Maybe some folks have pipes so big that it requires both hands?

Posted 4 months ago #
  37. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I know I'm going to be smoking a pipe while driving, I load the pipe before leaving the driveway. On road trips by myself, I will load and light when I make a stop at a gas station or somewhere.

Posted 4 months ago #
  38. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife, rest her soul, could pack a decent bowl when we were on the road. Now, I to must pull over to handle that chore.

Posted 4 months ago #
  39. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I'm with you Cosmic. I've never had a problem with loading or lighting my pipe while driving. It is far less distracting than the phone or eating. I also clinch to the side so I don't worry about "eating" the pipe in an accident. I am more concerned about losing a good pipe in the aftermath. I often drive a plow truck where I'm working the plow, the wings, the radio people can do more than one thing at a time. Just slow down if you have an issue.

Posted 4 months ago #
  40. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep a large ziplock bag of dried tobacco in the door pocket. I can load with one hand, never diverting eyes from the road. Same with lighting. However, not recommended. I keep the bag rolled up to give extra moisture barriers, and it's large enough to get pipe and hand in with minimum fuss.

Posted 4 months ago #
  41. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipes are distracting behind the wheel. I enjoy large hand rolled cigars when I'm on the road.

Posted 4 months ago #
  42. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Granted, cigars are a more convenient choice but nevertheless, I prefer pipes while driving during the long hours, shapes like lovats or half bent bulldogs are my preferred driving pipes.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 4 months ago #
  43. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've always maintained that if you can't drive one-handed, you shouldn't be driving.

The 'both hands must be on the wheel' is social engineering BS, not unlike the BS we see about tobacco. Both hands on the wheel means I can't shift gears.

That being said, I've still not enough practice on loading a bowl with two hands and looking at what I'm doing that I would venture to load it with one whilst driving and without looking. Same for lighting; I know it's perfectly doable in a safe manner, but I've not practiced doing it, so I must wait for the red light for those annoying constant relights.

Guess I'll practice lighting one-handed with the car parked.

Posted 4 months ago #
  44. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't have *A* car pipe as such, since I never have fewer than 3-4 in it, but the one I usually end up going to of those tends to be the one I reach first when my hand goes into the console. Lately that's usually been my Bones apple.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

I used to. McClelland flake (Blackwoods or similar), folded and good charring light before leaving the driveway. It would still be going well after my 40 minute commute. But no more since acquiring my manual transmission Audi A4. No eating, drinking (except water or black coffee), smoking or children are allowed in my car and nobody drives it but me. 55K and it still smells like a new car.

Posted 4 months ago #
  46. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

I would lose my shit if anyone smoked in my car... ill wait till I get home. but then again my car is my baby.. LOL

Posted 4 months ago #
  47. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke all my pipes in the car. Most often it's one of my bent billiards, but any pipe is ok.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  48. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I generally don’t smoke when I drive, though I might enjoy a pre-packed pipe on longer road trips. I favor bent Pete System pipes on those occasions. Maybe I worry about the airbag too much. It’s usually been a 309 or 312; more recently I’ve learned to appreciate hanging the smaller 313 while driving.

Posted 4 months ago #
  49. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Early on in my estate pipe purchasing frenzy, I got a Yello-Bole Brylon, not knowing much about it, but, I've kept it in the console, and I have been very happy using it. It's almost indestructible.
    I've learned to be patient with it and it doesn't get overly hot.
    Other than that, I usually bring a cob.

Posted 4 months ago #
  50. User has not uploaded an avatar

jason64

Login to Send PM

As I am very unexperienced with pipes and still trying to learn how to pack, smoke, etc I guess it would be very difficult for me to smoke in the car, but I would love to experience it some time. I just think its too much to smoke slowly, tamp, relight, and everything, besides I tend to have my window open while driving so..

Posted 4 months ago #
  51. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not really difficult. You also get to stop swearing at red lights—you actually wish for them, as that's when you get to relight.

I pack my pipe at home and then just do my charring and first light with the car parked, and away I go. If I need to relight, I wait for a red lite or pull over and do so.

Another thing that I've found helps with keeping the pipe lit is to 'park' the pipe in one's mouth and breath smoke it.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   josephcross, jiminks, tnfan, ben88, jpmcwjr, loadclear, monkeylyf, chasingembers, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, danimalia, thefishguy, ashdigger, lochinvar