PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Right now it's each my Big Ben Barbados or my Brigham Chinook 426 but I have a custom Devil Ance being made by Eric Paulson.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Although I've never spent as much as $175 on a pipe, quite a few of those I've had for a long time WOULD have cost more than that in today's $$$ ... a good example being a Ben Wade freehand that I bought for $100 in 1973 would cost me more than $550 in 2014 $$ ...

As I've built up my rotation, I've been stepping out into the world of artisan pipes, which usually run a lot higher so I can't buy as many. But, my best smokers in my rotation are my cheapest so far. Any of my Savinellis or Nordings would fit this. Hmmm, my favorite would have to be my Savinelli Piumas, small bowls, great briar aroma, and lightweight clenchers. I think I paid under $50 for each of them.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
GBD New Era bulldog. $40 back in the late 1990s.

DSCN0459.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of my favorites is a Johs freehand tomahawk with plateau on the brim and shank. I get that one lit,

and I know I'm smoking a pipe. Nice wide, smooth groove in the front of the bowl, and plenty of bowl.

It was a Christmas gift from my wife.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
My Todd Harris Custom Bing Crosby inspired billiard, she smokes as dry as a bone and looks absolutely beautiful.

~Ron

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
For me it's easy: Stanwell No.11. For some reason this shape just speaks to me, aesthetically. And performance-wise I've yet to have a bad smoke. I love the large, wide bowl and thick walls. And the quarter bend is perfect for either clenching or holding.
I like the American version, which is basically a miniature (No. 242). But I don't understand why the original No. 11 isn't available over here. Sure, it's a filter pipe. But that's easily resolved by simply discarding the filter and experiencing a wide open draw.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Most of the pipes I have that might have cost more than $175 new were bought as estates at much lower prices. Out of 45+ pipes, I think I only have two that I actually paid more than $200 for.
That said, my absolute favorite pipe is the Radice Underwood pictured in my avatar. I love the Underwood/New Dear (Ascorti) finish, and this pipe is a pure joy to smoke. It's dedicated to Penzance.
Bob

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
If I had to pick just one that smokes the best, it would be one of my meerschaums, an eagle claw grasping a smooth egg carved by Ahmet Govem.

quantumpipe

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
My peterson dublin filter 106, only cost me 60euro and it is the best smoker i have along with my savinelli baronet bruyere 804ex

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Probably my churchwarden corn cob at a whopping 11" long with a forever stem on a MM Legend.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
At this point, all of them... :D
My sentimental favorite is still my first pipe, a Bjarne Viking Classic bent egg sitter.
Second up would be the MM Country Gentleman given to me by another forum member, which I've converted to a Cobwarden with a Forever stem.
Third would be my Stanwell Zebrano.

Status
Not open for further replies.