What's Wrong With My Sutliff Molto Dolce?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
A while back I was on a quest to find a great aromatic. When I smoked my first few bowls of this tobacco I was pretty sure I had found the BEST aro I would ever smoke. Then one day I packed a bowl and as I puffed away I had this very chemical taste in my mouth. I left it alone for a week or two and tried to come back to it with the same chemical taste. Has anyone else experienced this? Does casing go bad? I have never smoked anything so heavily cased.
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles.

Thank you Robert.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The only problem I've found is that the tin isn't even close to being full when you first open it.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Can't help. I tried it once and it was sticky and stained my fingers and got on my pants. It wasn't good enough to me to warrant dealing with that mess a second time!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...half full tin? They're selling it by weight, so you buy it moisture and all. That's why dry tobaccos like Semois represent something of a value.

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
Were you smoking it in a different pipe the first time?
No I wasn't, in fact I had a new meerschaum pipe I had been given a while back that I thought I would use just for that tobacco because it was so goopy I didn't want it in my other pipes.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
mso489 - what I meant is that I like it and wished they could cram more Molte Dolce in the tins. My two sons and I smoked almost a whole tin at my daughter's wedding in October.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
because it was so goopy

There's you problem. You're still smoking cheap aros loaded with God knows what all. Try some better quality blends. I got a sample of 4 Noggins "Covered Bridges" with a pipe purchase and really enjoyed it. I've also enjoyed the tine of Larsen 150 I got in the goody bag at the Chicago Pipe Show.
the tin isn't even close to being full

That's because Sutliff at one time (may still be) was selling 50 and 100 gm tins. To keep costs down, they only used one size tin.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
But, everything in the universe has chemical properties, right? Maybe you just taste the universe for what it is. :rofl:
"Then one day I packed a bowl and as I puffed away I had this very chemical taste in my mouth."
Many guys do not like it and many do. I like it. But I have had that experience from time to time with a number of smokes. I always mark it up to me. I think there is a far better chance of my chemistry being variable than the tobacco has changed.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Frankly, I was never able to detect the intended aroma from Molto Dolce. I finished the tin in search of the amazing flavors, but could only find steam, and a vague alcohol-like scent. Perhaps I got a bad tin, perhaps I'm not the intended audience, or maybe my nose can't "pick up what they're putting down".

Status
Not open for further replies.