PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
I noticed not many people talk about W.O. Larsen tobacco. I was reading some of the reviews and they seem to be a good quality tobacco, But I notice I never see much attention to it. Is because the price of a tin or is it just over rated tobacco?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Here's one everyone should try. What a bargain!
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/larsen/W.O.-Larsen-2015-Limited-Release-Hand-Pressed-3.5oz/product_id/221096

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The vast majority smoke OTC's such as Captain Black etc. That is the norm, always has been. We are the exception, the few, the oddities of pipe smoking.
Bingo.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A friend turned me on to the pipe, and he took me to JR, where I bought a Grabow, Escudo, Mac Baren Mixture and Erinmore. It was he who introduced me to the forums, and when I got there all hell broke loose-the myriad of tobaccos and all manner of expensive pipes. It was intoxicating! I was dazzled; still am.
That's why I don't smoke 1Q.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Tried the 2016 recently and thought it was horrible. Harsh and ugly, indistinguishable from any number of burley-forward aros.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of our Forums professional blenders, Russ O. at PC, pointed out that over 90 percent (I think it may have been 95%) of tobacco sales are aromatics, so that's what keeps the pipe tobacco market alive and provides us non-aro smokers with all the blends we prefer too. So are people dissing aromatic pipe tobacco? Not so much.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"One of our Forums professional blenders, Russ O. at PC, pointed out that over 90 percent (I think it may have been 95%) of tobacco sales are aromatics,"
MSO, was he referring to sales of his own mixtures or tobacco sales as a whole?
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
On the whole. Non aros and English blends are a tiny fraction of all pipe tobacco sales. Two of the top sellers are 1-Q, and Captain Black.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I'm thinking its the price tag 16.95 for 3.5 grams

For 100 grams, not 3.5 it is commensurate with other reasonably priced tobaccos. Check out Seattle Club or Tabac Manil if you have any questions.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I had written an article about the percentage of aromatic sold that was on here, but damned if I can figure out the search. The crux of the article was that 95% of our tobacco sales on P&C were aromatics, and that if it weren't for these people driving the economy of pipe smoking, few of the companies that make pipe tobacco would be able to stay in business to make the Latakia, Virginia, Virginia/Perique blends that so many of us on these forums enjoy. It's easy to look at aro smnokers as the uneducated or least common denominators of the pipe world, but we owe those people a debt of gratitude. As is so often repeated here - "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke."
Russ

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Russ, are you saying if the bottom fell out of the aromatic market tomorrow you would pack your bags and go home?
Not an aromatic smoker myself but I certainly don't begrudge those that are. I might tease on occasion but it's all meant in jest.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.