PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Outside my study window live two spiders in a web. Until a few days ago, it seemed that there was just one spider.

This is what I am used to. And I assumed it was a female. Incidentally, these are medium size, about the size of

a US nickel, but one is decided larger than the other. I always thought that the female spiders were the prime movers

of spider reproduction, and that the male made a brief appearance for mating and then either made a hasty retreat,

or got eaten up by his girlfriend to boost her egg laying energies. This pair seems to be living in partnering bliss. They're

fairly active, move around from time to time, and I assume, use the light from my window at night to draw insects to

their web to eat. But what's with this spider pairing? Does anyone know their spiders well enough to enlighten me?

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Summoning /r/unidan .....
Oh wait. This isn't reddit.
Spider love, it's a beautiful thing. Try to take some pics and maybe some entomologist can identify the species for us? I've never heard of spiders in relationships but crazier things have happened for sure.

irishflake

Might Stick Around
Jun 30, 2012
Michigan
Interesting! Smoking a pipe (outside) I do a lot of wildlife gazing, and I am very fond of our 6 legged and 8 legged friends. Wish I knew what was going on with those two.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Sometimes male spiders make a good enough courtship ritual to survive a few matings, sometimes even living for a while in their mate's web. You're seeing something uncommon. But that dude's on borrowed time.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Ah nature... Always reminding me of the, "blissful" relationships I've had to endure; then again maybe I'd rather change places at least there'd be an end. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.