What's Up With This Big Money Plastic Frankenstein Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
SAjrtwI.jpg
WTF?
PKAV3Qb.jpg

:?:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261643763615
:?:
From that fateful day when stinking bits of slime first crawled from the sea and shouted to the cold stars, "I am man!," our greatest dread has always been the knowledge of our mortality. But tonight, we shall hurl the gauntlet of science into the frightful face of death itself. Tonight, we shall ascend into the heavens. We shall mock the earthquake. We shall command the thunders, and penetrate into the very womb of impervious nature herself.
trdOsqS.jpg

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Dunno man. Toy collectable? I wouldn't pay $5 for it. And I will buy almost any pipe for $5.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I collect Japanese Sofubi (soft vinyl, hand molded and painted) toys; think Godzilla or Gojira as we say. I can tell you that old blow molded toys are a hot commodity up to and including third world bootlegs. This is only increased when the toy in question is connected to an iconic franchise and even more so when dealing with classic monster/horror. I probably know a few people that would like to know about this but I can't speak on the valuation as this is not my particular area of collecting. It does appear to be in very good shape for a vintage blow mold though. Some Godzilla toys hit the $10,000 mark without anyone batting an eye.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
You have to consider the market for truly vintage toys never goes away. Modern ones are being stored in their original packaging too often and will never go up in value the way toys from earlier days have, much like baseball cards. The valuable ones are the ones that were easily damaged or easily thrown away by mom when the toy bin got too full. So whatever this pipe is worth, if it authentic and desirable, it will likely be worth more as time progresses. That said, most collectors of any collectible tend to be a bit nutty when it comes to their chosen poison.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"When I get this thing I am gonna smoke me some BS Unicorn Farts in it... :puffy:"
+1000%! I have some Blueberry Snow Cone if you need a sample of that.

May 31, 2012
You have to consider the market for truly vintage toys never goes away. Modern ones are being stored in their original packaging too often and will never go up in value the way toys from earlier days have, much like baseball cards. The valuable ones are the ones that were easily damaged or easily thrown away by mom when the toy bin got too full. So whatever this pipe is worth, if it authentic and desirable, it will likely be worth more as time progresses. That said, most collectors of any collectible tend to be a bit nutty when it comes to their chosen poison.
True.
I was just struck by the price mostly because of how extremely cheaply made it is, injection blow molded seasonal trinket kind of thing --- I guess the fact that it just looks so cheap, and obviously wasn't made to last, means that most of 'em have been thrown in the trash a long time ago without even a thought --- all that attrition makes surviving examples all the more rare and valued.
Like most of the copies of Action Comics #1 that got thrown out,

trashy pulp.
I guess I should stop be surprised by stuff like this.
frankenstein.gif

May 31, 2012
I just put my bid in and am the high bidder at $315. Figure I will go to about $450.
When I get this thing I am gonna smoke me some BS Unicorn Farts in it...
LOL

:twisted:

The biddin' ain't over yet bub!

heh heh

I may win yet!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Yup, not surprised a bit. Makes you wish you had taken better care of your childhood toys, doesn't it?
I'd love to have scan of the color sheets from this one but yeah....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Horror-House-Paint-and-Pencil-Set-Hasbro-Hassenfeld-1963-RARE-By-Number/151460623437?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27538%26meid%3Dc07628dfda7f4508b28b14c56bd6cef0%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D11353%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D111486963330&rt=nc

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
The buyer might be a flake. If you look at his activity in the last 30 days the buyer has bid on 1526 items including pottery, stamps, dolls & bears, clothing, jewelry, electronics, sporting goods, and motorcycle parts to name a few.
Here's a recap of his activity:
30-Day Summary

Total bids: 1818

Items bid on: 1526

Bid activity (%) with this seller: 0%

Bid retractions: 2

Bid retractions (6 months): 12

Status
Not open for further replies.