PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I mentioned in another thread that I was handling some Pete bulldogs today and they were tagged at $150. Maybe I've been under a rock too long or something but that doesn't jive with what I was used to seeing on the MSRP of non-system Petersons. Have they been steadily climbing in price or have there been more drastic changes?

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I wish I'd've taken note of the shape number but I can tell you that they were smooth finish, silver banded and vulcanite, fishtail stems. One was a standard squat BD and the other had a slightly taller bowl. I'm calling them both bulldogs because of the diamond shank.

Jan 8, 2013
Don't forget the B&M markup. Seems like my local shop tacks about $40 on to any given pipe at a minimum. Except the baskets. Even those are like $40 though.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Have they been steadily climbing in price or have there been more drastic changes?
It's both! They have become ... wait for it .... Overrated! :rofl:

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
The market sets the price and they sell them for what customers will pay. It is a very popular brand.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
You can easily buy entry-level (I.e. Aran, Donegal, etc.) Pete Bulldogs new for less than $100. You must have been handling a higher grade like the Flame Grain, Harp, or Ashford, for example.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Regardless of price range watch out for quality issues from their pipes. Many other threads discuss poor finishes and improper drilling.

frankenstein

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2013
flmason: That is a cautionary advice to employ with any pipe you intend to buy. I've bought 10 Petes the last year and none have displayed any quality issues.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
One larger B&M around me who I happened to be friends with one of the owners told me that he will no longer stock the Pete's because there is just no room for mark up. He'd have to charge $200 for the pipes I saw yesterday. Maybe I should grab one, now that I have this knowledge.

Aug 14, 2012
Despite popular belief, there are some very good Petersons out there. The problem is determining which before smoking. A model or type is not an indication. I believe the problem is inconsistency in the age of the briar.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I can't speak for Peterson's cost structure but we also have to bear in mind currency fluctuations with pipes coming from the European Union and England. The US $ has taken a hit in the past year against the Euro and Pound.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I've got 20 Petes and not a single quality problem yet. They are all perfect smokers, from a mechanical perspective. But that said, I don't expect a perfect briar with no fills when I buy the entry-level Pete. So I am not disappointed. If I saw fills on a Premier, Deluxe, Supreme or a House Pipe I'd be a little upset. My higher-end Petes are seemingly flawless, so I am happy.
I figure the most expensive Peterson pipe typically costs less than the least expensive Dunhill pipe, so honestly the cost of Petersons have never raised an eyebrow of mine. Just my opinion.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I have been slowly collecting the Kinsale line, which is based on the Sherlock Holmes line, but at roughly half the price, just under $150 each, which for a pipe is a common price point. Every one has proved to be a great smoker.

Aug 1, 2012
I have to agree with pitchfork. It really depends on the line name. Here are a few examples from SPC, all bulldogs and all smooth finish. Shannon-$93.50, Fermoy-$110.50, Kinsale-$133.45, Ashford-$157.25, Silver Cap-$263.50. Hell, the house pipes go into the $400+ range.
As for quality, yes, it's a crap shoot but when you get a good one it usually is a really good one.

frankenstein

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2013
Regarding the "quality issue": Peterson is one of the companies who puts out most pipes on the market today. It is inevitable that some of their briars fall through the cracks, doesn't get the necessary QA control, probably by mistake. Sure in the end it is Petersons fault, but some retailers could take a gander before they sell a pipe, or when it arrives to their shop. But they seldom do, for the same reason they us crappy stock photos that tells you nada about the pipe you are about to buy. So I think the lazy retailers should have a stern telling to.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My conjecture (and it's only that) is that Peterson has fallen victim to its own success in that they are able to

sell more and more pipes on the crest of the popularity trend of pipe smoking which has thrown their quality

control off balance. The basic designs and engineering specifications are time tested and good, but the demand

for quantity has outrun their ability to do the appropriate QC. Also, the currency exchange rate works against

them in the U.S., so the pipes are outrunning the gradual increase in prices across the pipe market. I'm one of

those lucky Peterson owners who bought new pipes before the trend hit big time, so I bought them at

moderate prices (they were never inexpensive) with excellent quality control. I think Peterson will regain their

consistent quality, but the prices won't come down. Even the estate Petersons are rather high, to my judgement.

If you feel oppressed by prices, look at French pipes which are still, generally, a good deal price-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.