PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Ok I generally have been a fan of Mississippi River and plum pudding....these blends were hits. Then it was a timely production and a new blend was announced and a release date was made for deceptions pass a good vaper then came potlatch and finally pikes place. All seem like blends that a large amount of time was spent on these blends. Now I look and see at least 6 more blends in addition to these. A reason behind the release of all these blends? Should I buy all of these in case they are temporary. Or why risk it these blends were just pumped out to get on the market prior to what is on the horizon for pipe tobacco.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Only way to know is to try. I don't think SPC would just churn out crap blends. I'm sure the last 3 they released were years in the making so I wouldn't doubt if these have been blended for a long time for the club and now they're releasing them. I'm sure the Mississippi Special Reserve will go fast.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
They are all in small tins so I'm not focusing on them. You mentioned Pike Place, it seems to be gone. I got a load of 8oz tins of Pike Place. What a great concept a Burley Balkan.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Everybody that could came out with new blends that were ready. They were in a mad rush to show sales prior to implementation of the Aug 8th FDA Deeming Regulations. The way I understand it, the procedure going forward to apply for FDA approval changed for those baccys on the market prior to the date and after.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Most companies have a bunch of recipes laying around, which they gradually release, I believe.

With Coming FDA regulations, they want to make the best use of them.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Here's an all-on-one page of SPC 2 and 8 oz "tins":
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/Seattle_Pipe_Club/

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've been interested in trying some of their products but every time I read the descriptions are pretty similar so I don't know which one to start with.
Based on these descriptions they almost sound like just minor tweaks between each blend:
Mississippi river

red Virginias, spiced with Orientals, Latakia, and Perique.
Deception Pass

Virginias with condiment doses of Orientals, Perique, and black Cavendish
Plum Pudding

Latakia, Orientals, Virginias, Perique, and black Cavendish into an old fashioned crumble cake.
Pike Place

Latakia, Orientals, Burleys, Virginias, and Perique.
Potlatch

bright Virginias, select Burley, Turkish Orientals, Latakia, Acadian Perique, and black Cavendish.
seattle evening

latakia, turkish orientals and red virginias

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I got that. None of the new blends are available in 8oz tins which I really like. Sorry for the thread drift.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Here's the P&C page showing the new blends:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/brands/1655/seattle-pipe-club-pipe-tobacco/?type=Pipe+Tobacco
I'm sure these blends were rushed to make the August 7 deadline. If the blends themselves weren't rushed, the packaging certainly was. The slow-release tin art(excepting Miss. River) is really nice. The new ones are quite generic. I'd guess these blends have been in the works for a while, but not planned for release so hastily.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Yeah I just find it odd too have all these new blends out and never really any adds presenting these new blends. I am however intrigued by the special reserve of miss river and plum pudding. I am hopeful the quality of these blends are not ruined by the mad rush to get these out. But as LJ Peretti says don't panic yet.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
It's not just SPC. It seems everybody is putting out any possible thing they can. It seems H and H's Marquis series doubled before the deadline, Pease has new additions, Dunhill, C and D, all are rushing out any new product they can. I thought I had my cellar pretty well stocked. I'm pretty sure that, either way, I will be able to smoke something enjoyable for the rest of my life.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Im not even gona start with the new blends, sure I might miss something but I will just stick with the dozen or so blends I always keep in stock, at least I know I like em and have plenty

Status
Not open for further replies.