PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2018
Hey everyone, I'm Justin I'm from the little country town of Perry, New York (western New yprk). Just tried my first pipe this past Sunday. Bought a cheap one from the flea market, but it was garbage. So I bought myself a missouri meerschaum mark twain cob. It'll be here Friday. Got a blend of vanilla and cherry blossom waiting to smoke. Just something my buddy gave me. But after I smoke this cob for awhile I want to get a nice broad pipe. Any suggestions for something somewhat economical? Plus I would like opinions on good aromatic tobacco for newbies! Thanks!

Jun 13, 2018
It definitely smells amazing. Havnt had the chance to try it because of the pipe issue but that will change come Friday. Pretty excited.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Hey! Welcome to the forum. You can’t go wrong with Missouri’s Meerschaum, as far as economical goes. If you want to graduate up to Briar pipes: Briarworks, Peterson, Savinelli, Ropp, Stanwell, all have excellent entry level pipes. The world is your oyster.

Jun 13, 2018
Thank you. I'm excited to start the journey and art that is pipe smoking.any suggestions for good tobacco to start put with? More along the lines of aromatic for now.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Welcome to the forum...You probably won't fall in love with every blend you try.You will find some that you really like though.If you want something that doesn't bite.Try some Black Cavendish.

Jun 13, 2018
Will my taste buds get used to smoking? I've tried smoking cigars that are supposed to be premium but tasted nothing great. I just want to be able to taste some good tobacco.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
1st off, kudos on the Rush reference.
2nd, welcome to the forum!
3rd, you are off to a great start. Some people lose their minds early and spend themselves into oblivion chasing this thing of ours. restrain your Pipe Acquisition and Tobacco Acquisition, lest you become afflicted with the associated disorders (PAD and TAD). I lost my mind early. It approached ugly several times.
4th, get into a pipe club or a group you can meet up with or keep in close contact with. This is a social endeavor.
Finally, establish yourself on this forum. Get to know some people, get up over 100 posts. Once you are more involved, you can purchase pipes or tobaccos from fellow members which often represent most economical ways to further explore this thing of ours. And God willing, if the box pass ever happens again, sign up for that. It usually has over 100 different tobaccos to sample.
Take care and welcome again!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Will my taste buds get used to smoking?
Yes. You should start out with Latakia or burley blends as they are full flavored and will prime your taste buds to understand what they are tasting.
If you don't mind my asking what exactly is a box pass. Excuse my ignorance please
It was a box of tobacco mailed around from member to member to sample, and add to it's contents that roamed around for quite a while.

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
Welcome! As a newbie I'd say try some Lane 1Q, CAO, Cult, and Royal Yacht which are all popular aromatics.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Will my taste buds get used to smoking? I've tried smoking cigars that are supposed to be premium but tasted nothing great. I just want to be able to taste some good tobacco.
It just takes time and practice. I believe it took me a few months before I had my "a-ha!" moment and aromatics sometimes smell better than they taste it just depends on the blend components. Did you pick up a czech tool or pipe nail, pipe cleaners, etc yet as well?
Good call on the MM - you can't go wrong with them. I have some inexpensive but good quality briars around the house that I don't use. When you feel ready to move up from the cob shoot me a PM and I can get one of these over to you so you don't have to shell out for a new/expensive pipe and I'd be happy to throw in some samples that would suit a beginner to give you a good range to choose from.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Morning, Justin, & welcome from piedmont of SC ! Sorry I couldn't get in to you yesterday; "overcome by events," as the military's been known to put it!. : A cob's a fairly good way to start in the hobby, but don't rely just on those, & definitely not *only* that. They have the advantage of being inexpensive, but you really want briar, & more than one (of each). Cobs are good to help you have a rotation where your first/second briar don't get over-smoked, but you don't want to build a collection of nothing but cobs either. My suggestion would be to get maybe 1-2 more cobs, but also at least 2-3 decent briars & rotate your smokes that way.
As chasingembers said, a good burley is a good way to start getting your tongue used to things, along with some mild (comparatively -- several degrees of strength involved) English blends with latakia. Aromatiics are good but can burn hot *&* be hard to keep lit until you get the technique down. Paradoxical as it may be, a good English blend can be a better way to start, although it won't have the same pleasant "room note" as an aromatic will. There are some quality aromatics as well, such as the ones ekert mentioned, but be careful of Cult. They make a number of good aromatics, but they can be a little overwhelming at first. Their cherry blend is called "Blood Red Moon." That'll probably tell you something. };)
Enough of that -- dive in, try all kinds of stuff, & ask away. As you can tell, we juts loooooove giving advice! :rofl:
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome! For a pipe, you can shop widely and learn at lot at our sponsor sites in red at the left of Forums. If you want one right away, I'd send you to pipesandcigars, to their Stanwells, the brushed brown and brushed black series, at $49.99 apiece with a wide selection of shapes. Studying pipes and tobacco there and at smokingpipes.com and other sites will serve as a course in the subject. Bring your questions here. Much expertise at hand (maybe not me so much, but pipe carvers, historians, tobacco pros and experienced pipers (that's somewhat me), and others).

Status
Not open for further replies.