PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I came across a beat up Kaywoodie White briar. I decided to strip it and see what happens. Here are the results.

Nice and sanded

Stained

Finished up

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've never been a fan of white finish pipes. Seems once you start smoking them they eventually start to look like a dirty toilet bowl. Meerschaums age gracefully, but not the white briars. I like what you did here. I finally get to see what the briar looks like under the white paint, and in the end the pipe looks much better. You probably lost some of the nomenclature doing this, but it didn't look to be a collector piece to begin with. Enjoy smoking it!

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
Great work. And inspiring. I've got a very similar white kawoodie that's starting to look ratty. You sanded the white off, right? About which grade did you start with?

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Yes I sanded it off. Some of it came off real easy with 500 grit wet sand paper. I did have to use 80 grit in some tough spots but I used 280 mostly. 280 followed by 320,500 wet, and 1200 wet. I did loose the logo and bowl shape. They are very,very faint on the bowl. I think they were stamped into the paint more then the wood. After sanding I wiped the bowl down with alcohol before staining with a bit of watered down (with 91 percent rubbing alcohol) dark brown leather dye. I need to get some caranuba. The beeswax I have does shine it up but just not as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.