PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricsie

Lurker
Jan 13, 2016
ordet5.jpg
Its from movei Ordet
It's huge. Are such pipes still manufactured? Where to buy? How to search for them? My largest is a 32cm Churchwarden, but its nothing compared to this.
I'm dying to find such a pipe.
Thanks

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Bohemian, Alpine, Jaeger, Tyrolean, Bavarian. They go by many names; also check out "cavalier", which is kind of more of a "system" than a shape to my mind. Hopefully this helps, and happy researching! I can't speak to the quality, but I have seen pipes similar to the one pictured on e-Bay, generally from Ukraine. Welcome aboard!

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
There is an even bigger one in the movie "Nosferatu". It is so big he leans it against the desk when he stands up. I have always meant to get a screen cap of it but I have not done so yet.

They are actually awesome smokers, for when you want to devote many hours to your pipe. They stink for driving though. I believe that some are still being made, but if not, Ebay is loaded down with them for fairly cheap. Just smoke it very very slow, because that porcelain bowl can get hot.

ricsie

Lurker
Jan 13, 2016
Oh wow, thanks all for the warm welcome and great help!! Its Tyrolean what I'm searching for. Realy surpirsed you were that fast, I thought I wouldn't even get a reply and yet so many I got heh. Now I can find some good condition pipe for nice price heh. Thank you.
And hope to see one day the mysterious gigantic pipe from "Nosferatu" :-D

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
They are made in porcelain generally from the ones I have seen. There are many of them in various sizes because frequently cherry wood stems are used on them, bark and all. There are ones with wooden boles, they are probably cheaper pipes.
These pipes tend to have a number of parts. I have never smoked one but like Cosmic says, take it easy with it. They are basically high fired clay boles that have been glazed and painted similar to what is known as china. I would not pay a great deal for one unless you have done your homework, they are very common.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Has anyone smoked one of these? It seems like such a deep and fairly narrow (proportionately) bowl would resist relights. It looks like it would pack a half tin or more. It might end up hanging on the wall. Visually interesting but a smoker, maybe not so much.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
At first, I didn't even see the pipe, but focussed on the wall hanging. "A stick barometer" I thought, not a pipe. Now I see both with the larger image.
And, yes, a small tenor sax!

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
All I can think when I see large pipes is "For when you need an all day smoke...."

ricsie

Lurker
Jan 13, 2016
I just bought one. On ebay they are fairly expensive and hard to find, but then I tried german ebay.de and here they even have a section for such pipes and they are pretty cheap. Now only wait for the pipe and find somebody who can repair/clean it so I can smoke it heh :-D

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you search for German hunter Pipe on ebay you'll find a bunch of them show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.