Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

What's This?!?! A Bullk Royal Yacht Match Offering?!?!

(36 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by ericusrex
  • Latest reply from deathmetal
  1. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

2. markthelad

markthelad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't tried it but I would be curious as to how close of a match it is, Royal Yacht has a pretty good nic hit to it and this is described as "medium" in strength. I wonder if they are talking about Strength in taste or nicotine content.

"I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself."
    Johnny Carson
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We should pool together the funds for a pound and send some to Pipestud and Deathmetal for approval.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a diehard Royal Yacht fan, I am very interested in this. Wonder how close it comes? If they don't use the right Virginias, it will be medium and taste more like Elizabethan Mixture, which is not bad either but it's not... quite... anywhere near as good as... the unstinting excellence of the 'Yacht.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it doesn't have African Virginia's it ain't going to tickle the fancy.

I just opened a tin that has to be 3to 4 years old. Amazing! I've only smoked a tin of Royal Yacht, I gathered some tins because I knew it was a favorite. The topping is out of this world, but I used to put to much into the topping, chocolate this, coffee that, tonquin bean maybe, etc. Now the topping seems to really befuddled me. People say "Plum" yea I guess so, as far as the tin note. But I don't think it's plum flavoring, The Virginias give the nuances of chocolate this, coffee that, tonquin bean maybe, the topping I think? Is liquified crack! That's what I'm going with and I'm sticking to it. Now don't get on here and beat me up about either. Royal Yacht may be the finest tobacco ever crafted. I can only wonder what the Original tasted like. Hopefully the new stuff is a shadow, at least.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

thanks for the heads-up. I gotta try this at some point

"Once you go down the Lakeland path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
    -Apologies to Master Yoda
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a diehard Royal Yacht fan, I am very interested in this. Wonder how close it comes? If they don't use the right Virginias, it will be medium and taste more like Elizabethan Mixture, which is not bad either but it's not... quite... anywhere near as good as... the unstinting excellence of the 'Yacht.

Hey I like RY and Elizabethan, depends on the mood

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You've got the wrong link. This one is the correct one: https://paylesscigarsandpipes.com/altadissutliff-match-royal-yuck-match-1-lb

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmm, if someone developed a Royal Yacht blend without all of the nicotine, would it still have the appeal? I'm not so sure that I smoke Royal Yacht for just the flavor. I mean it's ok... but without the reward of a mallet upside the head, would I still smoke it?
    It would be like setting through When Harry Met Sally for the 500th time with the wife, just to go straight to sleep afterwards. When Harry Met Sally is a good movie, but without a reward afterwards, I'm not so sure I'd watch it.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Will be if someone tries this and reports back.

"People are not made better by a briar. An idiot before smoking a pipe is still an idiot after smoking a pipe, they're just more likely to speak less drivel with something in their mouth. For that, all society should be grateful."

- Bob Runowski
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It might be a pretty good aro blend, and it might remind me of RY, but I suspect the "matching" aspect is shaky. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since they matched it, what is the topping used. Please reveal. Please! I'm still going with crack, that's why it's "Secret".

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

hextor

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

yea I don't thinks its a really good match, its probably more off brand than anything, I once bough an adidas shirt at the flea market, come to find out it was fake, it was spelled wrong "adias" I think this is more like the royal yates, similar probably but it not close to match the real stuff.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am highly doubtful based on the website that it is a very good match. I wondered what all the pontificating was about, but now I see they only sell it by the pound. No one wants to try an entire pound of poorly blended, not matched tobacco. The risk outweighs the possible benefits, methinks.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hard to say, JimInks has given really positive reviews to their match blends, I've read alot of people prefer sutliffs elizabethian mixture to the new dunhill version, also the amphora match and edgeworth ready rubbed is supposed to be better than the lane's version. I just don't know if they have access to african Va's or not which is going to be the biggest factor.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have tried a lot of Sutliff offerings, including the Seattle Pipe Club tobaccos made by them. I have not liked them.
    I wanted to try H & H's Fusilier Ration but decided against when I've learned that H & H are produced by Sutliff (don't know if it's true, or not).
    I am a BIG fan of RY but would not, based on my experience, even attempt a try.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The lesser strength is scaring most people off, as they perceive that this means it uses Virginias other than the killer empire Virginias in the 'Yacht.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I understand buying a match of a discontinued blend, but why would anyone buy a match for RY if they could buy the real thing? To save a few bucks? I suppose if someone smoked RY all day every day it might add up. The tobaccos are top-notch, the topping is mysterious, the blending is quality-controlled, as is the moisture at which it's tinned. And it comes in a real tin, not a foil-coated cardboard box with a plastic lid. Sounds way out of Sutliff's league. It's not a simple burley codger blend like ERR.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe there is that one guy out of a hundred that loves the taste of Royal Yacht, but can't stand the effects of the nicotine. I mean it could happen. There may be that one weirdo. Like a guy who chooses to watch When Harry Met Sally, by himself. Phhhh, or is that just too far fetched to believe?
    Hmmmm, I did know a guy, a male... a man... who knew some of the words to Les Mis. I mean, I didn't really know him. I didn't... like... talk to him or anything. I just heard from somebody that the guy existed. Theoretically...

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well in theory the new Dunhill blends would be a match, as they're nothing like the original Dunhill blends

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shutterbug: Sutliff does not make the Royal Yacht Match. I e-mailed and asked.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jim, this link says it is... https://paylesscigarsandpipes.com/altadissutliff-match-royal-yacht-match-1-lb
    But, it may be a mistake on this company's part. I've never heard of this company, Payless Cigars and Pipes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some of their prices are pretty amazing though. Many of their tin prices are several dollars less than the well known guys.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic: I just e-mailed my contact and sent him the link.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Jim, maybe this whole thing is just a big mistake.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Royal Yuck by the pound. That is my idea of hell on earth. I could see it now. "Mr. Condor we are exiling you to a desert island with two Falcon pipes and fifteen pounds of Royal Yuck match blend!'. I'd rather spend a night in Tijuana getting buggered by a midget in a Snow White costume wearing a barbed wire condom with my nut sack stapled to the floor before I tried either that stuff or the match blend.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My contact at Sutliff said they don't make it. He said it's a possibility they used to make it, and he said he'd check the files to see if they ever did. I know that when I did my reviews of Sutliff Match blends in 2014, they were not making it, or I would have gotten it for review. As a great many of Sutliff's matches were close to the originals, if they had made it, it might have been close. Who knows? They've made many of the best Match blends on the market, despite what the snobby Sutliff slammers think.

Here's a link to my Match reviews.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-sutliff-match-reviews

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/dunhill-tobacco-matches-at-payless-pipes

So how did no one else remember the prior thread that addressed this.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic: my contact at Sutliff sez, "The only item I see we made close to that name was Royal Scott. I see a bunch of Royal – stuff like Royal Viking, but not Yacht." He did allow for the fact that perhaps it was made and sold under a another name.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Did Altadis get bought out by Sutliff?

How are they listing a tobacco with both the Altadis and Sutliff name on it and not getting shite for misrepresentation?

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Altadis used to own Sutliff. In 2013, MacBaren bought Sutliff from Altadis.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, that doesn't really quell any of the mystery of this. It especially doesn't make me want to buy something that may have sat around in a bulk bag for three or four years.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They've made many of the best Match blends on the market, despite what the snobby Sutliff slammers think.

I find Sutliff's ERR match much closer* to the original than Lane's...which is really a reintroduction not a match, as Lane apparently owns the rights to the original recipe.

*I think it's due to the cut being closer to what I remember, which influences the smoking properties

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shutterbug: it's more than that. The Sutliff Match has more molasses than the Lane version does, and is almost the same amount as the original ERR. The Lane version has more cocoa than the original ERR, and lacks that mild sharp note that the original and the Sutliff Match has. Lane said they used the original recipe, but having directly compared it to the original ERR, I taste enough differences to say Lane's is not the same. Sutliff also uses the correct cut, which Lane does not.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   craig61a, odobenus, disinformatique, condorlover1, monkeylyf