Status
Not open for further replies.

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
9c480398-50ad-4bd2-989d-8af92acf19ff_zpsd49cc238.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
I think its to demonstrate that the string passes clear through the pipe, as if to say "this will pass a cleaner test."
Love the tampon joke though.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
cosmicfolklore has the crux of it. I'd also say that it gives retailers a place to put the price sticker without marring the stem, which always requires a cleaning before you can take it home.
But, yeah, it's kind of a gimmick. A way for this brand to set itself a little bit apart from the rest of the pack.
Bob

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
The little pouch holds the adapter plug for use when you don't want a filter. Looks like maybe it has a giant filter?

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
The string is a seal to show, that the pipe has not been smoked or taken apart. It is used by Mauro Armellini.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Now that the mystery is solved. I wonder how many of those get cut as a potential buyer may want to inspect the pipe more thoroughly before purchasing it. It seems near impossible to take it apart with that string attached. Thanks to Peter above I searched Mauro Armellini and found a sponsors site and an even greater mystery. Check out the last pipe on this page. I've seen double bowled pipes before but that one certainly is creative.
http://www.milantobacco.com/mauro_armellini_pipes.htm
The site also has an interesting write up on Mauro and Vilma also.

MAURO ARMELLINI PIPES

After spending fifteen years making beautiful tobacco pipes for other companies like Savinelli, Mauro Armellini decided to open his own shop in 1959 in the small town of Barasso in the Lombardy region of northern Italy. Shortly thereafter, he met by chance an American wholesaler who fell in love with Mauro's Italian masterpieces and decided to distribute the pipes all over the world. The small company flourished.
Upon Mauro's passing in 2004, his daughter Vilma decided to continue her father's legacy. She had been working side by side with him from a very young age, acquiring his knowledge, skills, and the special rustication technique Mauro invented. Today, the Mauro Armellini shop produces approximately 1,500 handmade pieces annually, each reflecting Mauro's high quality standards and vision ~ create the best pipe from the best materials at the lowest possible price. Mauro's dream, dedication, and passion for pipe making live on in his daughter, and now his grandson Matthew.

The pipe images displayed below represent the actual pipes for sale. Each pipe is stamped "Fatte A Mano Mauro Armellini", "Italy". A branded pipe pouch is included with your purchase.

Jan 8, 2013
Doesn't look like it would smoke too well. Oh yeah, and the word "Rabbit" comes to mind for some reason... lol.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
In case the string starts the pipe like agnostic suggested, would it be 2 stroke or 4 stroke? I gotta know whether to mix the fuel and oil or keep them separate, in case I want to get one

Status
Not open for further replies.