PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What's the most typical U.S./American blend? I'd guess blends with burley(s), Virginia(s), and unflavored black Cavendish. Also allowed are Latakia and Perique, usually in very moderate proportions. Aromatic flavoring is also allowed, since that is such a high proportion of pipe tobacco sales, although non-aromatics, despite their English associations, are also acceptable as long as the blends contain burley. There are numerous examples of these blends. Two examples are Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, recently reviewed by jiminks, and PC/Russ O.'s Log Cabin, and also his Home and Hearth Midtown series Chestnut.
Please offer others of the many blends along these lines; nominate other kinds of blends you think are extra U.S./American; or nominate American blends that are not typical of the U.S., from Canada, Mexico, Central or South America.
This is just for sport. Blends don't carry passports and can go (often happily) anywhere.

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
American cavendish is usually flavoured isn't it? Or at least has sugar added.

Latakia usually means British/Oriental to me while Perique has been used in American blends for centuries.
Most any VaPer blend.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I think Lane's 1Q is the best seller in America, but I don't know that that makes it the most American blend?

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
+1 Lane 1Q Virgina, black cavendish and vanilla flavoring - very American

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I'm not American but to me the quintessential American pipe smoking experience would be Carter hall in a cob.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I love Carter Hall, but when I think American, I think Prince Albert. (I've never seen Carter Hall referenced in American literature, and I've never heard a classic phone prank built around Carter Hall.)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Lane's is danish isn't it? Captain black is made by Skandnavian tobacco group. It would have to be a codger OTC like Carter hall

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Another vote for Captain Black as the quintessential American pipe tobacco. Along the same lines, I would vote for Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium as the quintessential British tobacco, but this is obviously an American perspective on what is British.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Captain Black - white. I used to love smoking it years ago, though I now find it chemically in taste. But it's the #1 selling brand, so it gets my vote.

8O - I never would have imagined! Surprise of the evening.
I have to add my vote for Captain Black Regular. I find it a pleasant smoke ... I even like how it tastes when it's windy and the ember is burning too hot ... but I think the room note is absolutely fantastic! Exhaust from old cars, pencil shavings, Maxwell House, grass clippings, and Captain Black Regular smoke are about as American as smells can get. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.