PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I heard that Luciano has stopped making pipes, has closed so far as I can tell. Does anyone know the story on this? They made pipes for maybe six years, or at least since they came to my attention. They were described as "hand finished," not artisan but not altogether factory pipes. I didn't mind the hedging on that, the pipes are good. They were priced around $100 and up somewhat. On sale, I bought a handsome sturdy blast straight billiard with a saddle stem from smokingpipes.com, and SP brought it to a pipe show (TAPS) to save me shipping, and gave me a pipe show discount, for about $75. I bought a great smooth author with a big bowl but light weight for a little more. Then I noticed the prices started going up, and pretty soon the were mostly at the $150-$200 level. Now they seem to have disappeared. I especially appreciated that they included the year of manufacture on their stamping; it just seems so damned civilized, no mystery codes or analyzing the typeface of the stamp. Bravo for Luciano. Anyone know what became of the company?

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
They don't have a website but there's at least a dozen distributors listed on the web that offers them, Neatpipes, own by Luca DiPiazza, is one and I believe Luca has some interest in this line, I'd email him and ask since he readily responds rather quickly. I have one, the Stem kind of floats a bit, not a tight fit, but does secure while being smoked and it is a fine smoker.

banjo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, I think some of the people who work for Redice also work at Luciano. Some of the online retailers seem not to have re-stocked. But it may just be some inventory glitch or hitting big sales in markets outside the U.S.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I don't think Luca is around in the pipe world anymore. I don't think I'd even try ordering from NeatPipes. I'd contact the Pipe Tart - Sally Gottliebson about Luciano and see what she says.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm surprised Luca left the pipe world. He seemed like such a determined fellow with a great grasp of the market. Maybe he couldn't make the money he needed to make. I thought he was the principal behind Luciano.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I've been conversing with Luca on a pipe he has for sale, of course I didn't ask if he was finished in the pipe world and I noticed his website hasn't been updated since last year, it would be a shame just over the Chubby Aerobilliard line that was obviously a great seller.

banjo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thank you for the updates, gents. I think Luciano was a good chapter in pipe making, and the pipes will be around for the next century to prove it--a fleeting story, but no failure. Luca may be back in one way or another. Any other news on this is welcome.

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
Looks like Neatpipes is returning per their email blast, but not sure if Luca is still involved in the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.