What's the going opinion of crossover blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I just received a 7 ounce order of Dr. Bradley from Iwanries. The description they gave reminded me of a little of SWR. Does anyone have experience with cross over blends? Just thought it would be a nice way to expand knowledge of traditional styles of pipe blends.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
To me the word "crossover" pretty much means a Burley/Latakia mix -- especially with some Virginia added. I personally don't think Burley's, especially mixes of air and fired cured, need Latakia to create a campfire-smoke/leathery/salty taste profile. But each to his own. It only takes an additional dash of Oriental to merit the more common term, "American English".
I tend to avoid Latakia these days, but I have sampled C&D's Morley's Best, and IRC's Dr. Bradley. These are two somewhat different blends that both satisfy my definition of a crossover.
Both of these blends wore heavily on my palate, and I couldn't smoke much more than a couple of ounces. Dr. Bradley has been compared to Altadis' Count Pulaski. I thought Dr. Bradley had some really subtle floral notes that made it very interesting -- but again, as I said, 7 oz. was a bit too much for me. If memory serves, someone compared it to one of the McClelland Frog Morton blends, but I don't know which.
I'd really like to get Russ Ouellette's take on the topic of crossovers and American Englishes. Maybe Kevin can twist his arm.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Thanks for the response. I just thought it sounded interesting and since I don't know enough to hit the brakes on any blends except cherry, why not. The great thing about not knowing much is you have fun with it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.