Whats the Difference in Virginias Regarding Tongue bite?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I have tried several, mainly Virginia blends made from Virginia grown in the US.

Some of these are Anni Kake, Newminster Superior flake, Lousiana red etc.

These blends almost always give me tongue bite. Especially the Newminster. I really want to like these blends but the tongue bite usually makes me reach for something else. I do make a conscious effort to puff slowly.

I have also noticed that Virginia based blends with tobacco grown overseas in places such as Brazil, Malawi etc. don't seem to bother me at all. Some of these are Royal Yacht, and G&H Virginia based tobaccos.

Anyone know what the difference may be? It puzzles me.

Any suggestions for Virginia blends that don't bite as much?

Thanks.

Those three you mention don't even fit in my realm of bitey for me. Those would be some of the smoothest Virginias. But, think that you revealed a glimpse of what the problem may be.

I do make a conscious effort to puff slowly.

Don't puff at all. If anything slowly sip, just sip, not an aggressive puff at all. Me, I don't draw in consciously on the stem at all. Sure, I give it a few puffs to get it going, then I just let the pipe stay in my clench. As I breath through my nose, my gullet reflexively just slowly bellows the pipe slowly. I don't do anything. This is called breathsmoking. I never intentionally draw in any smoke, it just sort of works its way into my mouth and lingers till it cycles back out with more smoke. Slow slow slow. If you are one that has to pull the pipe out of your mouth to say words and communicate, you may find yourself relighting your pipe. Me? I communicate with shrugs and facial expressions. If someone needs more explanation than that from me, this is where I use hand language, which just involves one special finger.
No, this is not the way everyone smokes, but it works best for me.

Another suggestion that I can make is that if a blend is too bitey in one pipe, try a larger diameter pipe. It can mellow out a blend this way.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
For me the important difference is red or yellow Va. The yellow bites me and the red doesn't. Yellow is also referred to as lemon and bright Va. So I've learned to stick with blends that specify the type of Va. used.
Try some of the straight reds. C&D 5 O'clock shadow is a Va/Per with a touch of Kentucky. MacBaren's Old Dark Flake is great. Not primarily a Va though.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The blends you mentioned have red virginia's in them and you may be allergic to them. I am and have been for years. I make sure the blends I smoke have no red's in them. If when the smoke hits your tongue and you get a burning sensation then you cannot smoke red's.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Most likely a pH issue... wonder if there's a way to alter mouth pH long enough to enjoy the blend?
Five O'Clock Shadow is the bee's knees (I just ripped that phrase from the movie On the Road -- great film).

I'm just picking on Harris, but it is a possibility.

But, there's also the possibility that you are just experiencing a bit of the acidic nature of Virginias. If I smoke when I don't have a drink on me, I'll get an acidic feeling on my tongue occasionally, but it goes away quickly, usually after a cup of coffee. A true bite like Harris (cigrmaster) is talking about takes a few days. And, I've gotten bit to where my tongue splits open. There is a distinct possibility that you might enjoy burley blends more, like PA, Swr, or any of hundreds offered by C&D.
When I first started smoking Virginias, I was also switching back and forth between aros, Latakia, and the OTC blends, and it makes it harder to acclimate to Virginias. I had to spend days just smoking Virginia and Virginia based blends to start to fully enjoy them. I think that the higher PH and lower PH blends were fighting each other and acerbating my bite, even though the PH levels are really minute, I think it made a difference. Now, my tongue is like leather and tough, which Mrs Cosmic really enjoys also. :puffy:

Reactions: vosBghos

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Never had tongue bite from any Virginia but that is mostly what I smoke. Will be interesting to see what happens now that this Cult stuff is breaking into the rotation.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I went through all of G&H and Gawith offerings 5 or 6 years ago. All of them bit me to some degree. Louisianna Flake was the absolute worst! At the time I thought I was doing something wrong. Their descriptions are usually non-specific about what type of VA are in their blends. My experience tells me that means it's probably a red/yellow mix. And the more the % of yellow, the more it bites me. C&D and Pease are pretty good about specifying what tobaccos they use.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
xrundog just reminded me of something - I dont do Macbaren. Whatever they do my mouth doesn't like it. I have stayed away from them for so long I dern forgot.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
My experience is similar to yours, lawmax. The empire tobaccos almost never bite, but American VAs sometimes do. Part of it is experience (my favorite American blends never bite anymore), but certain European-style flakes, like Newminster and Macbaren's almost always bite. In that case, it has something to do with the casings used, not the underlying tobaccos.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Unless I have an acidic drink, I always get tongue bite from straight VA's and VA per blends. I just have to make sure I have one handy to fix the pH problems.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Like peteguy, I thought I couldn't smoke any MacBaren's tobacco. Then I tried their Old Dark Flake. No yellow Va. Tastes delicious with no bite at all. I was amazed.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
The possibility of bite caused by the acidity of the Virginia or mouth pH issues makes sense to me.

Harris may also correct. I get the burning sensation from some blends very very quickly upon smoking them.

I can smoke the other Virginia based blends I mentioned for an hour or more with no issue whatsoever.

I don't really think it is an issue with smoking too fast or with moisture level. I really slow it down with the tongue burners and still have the problem.

tarheel1's idea of drinking something acidic while smoking is what I will try next. I usually don't drink anything while smoking. That will take some getting used to for me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I can tell if there are red virginia's in the first minute. Nothing burns my tongue like them. My PH levels are screwed up which is why I have gotten kidney stones over 20 times. For 30 years I have dealt with them. At first they were all uric acid stones, then they switched to calcium and a small bit of uric acid. I have no idea what my ph levels are but I know when something feels like acid on my tongue. It really sucks because I love the taste of red virginia.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Virginia's bite me as well, I will go back from time to time just to try again.
My PH levels are screwed up which is why I have gotten kidney stones over 20 times.
Ever try checking out apple cider vinegar to help bring back Ph levels to normal?

Or just get a "PRINCE ALBERT" and piss them out like a man!! :nana:

JK had one once in my life and it sucked.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
You think cold water is bad? Try ice cream! The things I do to my tongue.
Here's a VA blend that doesn't tend to bite: Autumn Evening. A'course it's a VA cavendish and an aromatic, but it's nice and dry and smokes with a mild nic content.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
The twists, the turns! What causes tongue burn for one does not cause it for all, apparently. If you're ok with GH's stock of Va's then I suggest you stick with it. Sam Gawith has a good range in medium, full va and best brown flakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.