What's the difference between casing and topping?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
In another thread I started, one of the comments referred to casing rather than topping in tobacco.
What exactly is the difference? Does every tobacco that have a casing or a topping or both automatically get classified as aromatic?
So much to learn....

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
A lot of non-aromatics have a casing applied but don't have a topping applied. Casing is often used just to add a little sugar to the blend.

A good aromatic tobacco is lightly topped with a natural flavoring.

After Casing is applied the tobacco is usually dried to a suitable humidity, not usually after applying topping. Both can be used to add flavours to the tobacco.

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Tobaccos#Cased_Tobacco.3F

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
My understanding is that all tobacco is cased at some point early in the production. This is done to make the leaf smokeable as apparently raw uncased tobacco can be very bitter. This is usually an application of sugar water or liquorice root extract in liquid form and is sprayed onto the raw leaf.
Topping is the adding of flavouring agents such as tonquin, whiskey, fruit essence etc to create aromatic blends. These are usually applied towards the end of the manufacturing process in large tumbling machines with spray nozzles.
That is how I see it, others may well disagree.
Regards,
Jay.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
My understanding is that all tobacco is cased at some point early in the production. This is done to make the leaf smokeable as apparently raw uncased tobacco can be very bitter. This is usually an application of sugar water or liquorice root extract in liquid form and is sprayed onto the raw leaf.
Totally agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.